How common is this saying:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to say "Look for Zebras" would many people understand what that meant?

I'm not sure if the saying "When you hear hoofbeats, look for Zebras" is common everywhere, or just particular to the medical profession I used to be in.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Illinois originally (transplanted to California), and I've never heard of that saying. What does it mean?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well in the medical field, it means when you're looking for a cause, you shouldn't always assume it's something simple and known. You need to not assume - when you hear hoofbeats - that you're about to see horses. It could be zebras.

Kinda like a "think outside the box" saying.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
So it's a variation on, "Where there's smoke, there's fire." Might not be fire, might be zebras. Neat.

I could see having a character in the medical profession using it to someone outside medicine and needing to explain. Could be good characterization.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, cool - thanks ! I'll have the MC use the saying, then have to explain it.

Perfect :)

Start using that in your regular conversations - people will think you're wise :D

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I know it but with the reverse meaning. i.e. the most common explanation is probably true hoofbeats (unless you are in Africa) means horses not zebras.

i heard it for the first time when I was in my 20s--not at all connected to medicine-- and would not think of it as a common saying

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Put me down as another who has never heard it and would have had no idea what it meant. FYI I´m from London and have no medical background.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, super - I'll have the character explain it. It's easy to forget (well, for ME to forget) that something you pick up in a particular field or region might not be well known outside that field or region.

The reverse meaning is a variation of Occam's razor - the simplest solution is often the right one.

Thanks everyone ! :)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I thought it was a common expression - almost a cliche. I don't have a medical background. Maybe I've seen too many TV medical dramas.

Rather than explain it, why not try to write it in a context so that the meaning of the phrase becomes obvous to the reader? Those who are familiar with the saying will get it right away; those who aren't will think you're extremely clever.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, knowing that I am extremely clever :D In the context it will occur, there will be actual Zebras.

Trust me, it'll be hilarious!

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
I have heard it, but in the version Veinglory described: "When you hear hoofbeats, don't look for zebras". I can't remember where I heard or read it, but it was probably in the context of scientific experimentation - a warning to not to discount the simplest explanation, just because it's the simplest. (There is a tendency for some young scientists to create convoluted explanations for data, when often a simple one would suffice.)

So, to answer your question, if someone just said "Look for zebras", I wouldn't know what they were referring to.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Peggy said:
I have heard it, but in the version Veinglory described: "When you hear hoofbeats, don't look for zebras". I can't remember where I heard or read it, but it was probably in the context of scientific experimentation - a warning to not to discount the simplest explanation, just because it's the simplest. (There is a tendency for some young scientists to create convoluted explanations for data, when often a simple one would suffice.)

So, to answer your question, if someone just said "Look for zebras", I wouldn't know what they were referring to.

I've always heard it the way Veinglory did too. It was used in science classes, especially biology classes, to mean that the simplest and most common explanation was most often correct.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather look for unicorns or hippogriffs. ;)

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oklahoma - no medical background - never heard of it either.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oklahoma too (not right this minute, but originally) - no medical background - but I have heard it. Go figure.

Cabinscribe

Often ignored by muses
Registered
Reaction score
I believe I've heard about it, but in the context of "If you hear hoofbeats, don't think they're zebras".

In other words, it would be more likely that the hoofbeats would come from horses than zebras.

This is is similar to Sutton's Law which is used in medicine. I can't quote it exactly, but the idea is to look for the most common diagnosis that coincides with the symptoms, not the rarest.

This comes from the famous bank rober, Willie Sutton. He denied saying this, by the way, but the story is that a reporter asked him why he robbed banks, and he said,

"Because that's where the money is."

Last edited:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it, as a maxim taught in medical school, in the form (roughly) "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." I haven't gone to medical school. I just read a lot.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I first heard it, "Just because you hear hoofbeats, don't assume zebras." And yes, in the medical profession. It was within context, and therefore had no problem figuring out what it meant.

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the UK - I've only heard it used on US TV. I might be wrong, but wasn't it used in House not so long back? (I love that show. The dialogue's so sharp.)

Cheers,
Steve

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
zebras

I've heard it, but the same way as most of the others. "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." It means the simplest explanation is probably the right one. In other words, if you hear hoofbeats, it's probably a horse, not a zebra.

This is the way it's always used in med school, and with doctors.

It's very common this way, but it doesn't make sense to say, "When you hear hoofbeats, assume Zebras."

http://medscape.typepad.com/thedifferential/2006/01/seeing_zebras.html

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard the expression. If I saw it I would think something else because I've heard the expression "Like being a zebra in lion country" used in investing a lot. If I read "look for zebras" out of context my first thought would be "look for suckers".

Just a thought . . . although not much of one.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Jamesaritchie said:
I've heard it, but the same way as most of the others. "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." It means the simplest explanation is probably the right one. In other words, if you hear hoofbeats, it's probably a horse, not a zebra.

This is the way it's always used in med school, and with doctors.

It's very common this way, but it doesn't make sense to say, "When you hear hoofbeats, assume Zebras."

http://medscape.typepad.com/thedifferential/2006/01/seeing_zebras.html

The saying appeared within an article in this morning's PARADE magazine in my Sunday paper as "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras" in an article about rare diseases. Within the article it stated that it's a common expression in med school and the medical professions.

Status
Not open for further replies.