• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

When did you start to write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannity Chick

I started way back when I was a little girl in 2nd grade.
I loved to write little stories about the birds and my pet dog.

I guess it all went up hill from there.
I also wrote a story for a local paper that they published and I was given 1st prize for it

illyena

I also started to write in sencond grade, I wrote a short story in Jr High that was published and won an award. Only my personal colledtion of started and incomplete story ideas since then.
Time, motivation and focus kep me from finishng anything, I need to kick my muse in the *** and get a writing partner.

gromhard

Banned
Reaction score
I was once kidnapped by this serial killer and taken back to his trailer park. He chained me up and would come at me for his sick man-2-man pleasures every night. The only way I could keep him at bay was to tell him a fanciful story. So night after night I had to keep thinking of stories to keep this beer bellied cracker off me, finally after about a thousand and one nights of this I just ran aplomb out of stories and had to let him do what he wanted. When he finished he said, you might wanna write some of the stories down I think you have something. So my anthology "Tuscan Trailer Park Nights" was born.............
oh wait, that's not my story, that's Arabian nights. How DID I get started? Oh yeah,

I started in third grade. We had to an assignment to write a continuing story to "Lyle the crocadile." I wrote a long winded(for a 3rd grader) account of Lyle getting in a bloody knife fight with some street thugs. I got overly descriptive and gory and even drew a little picture to go along with it that basically looked like a red crayon had exploded. Well the teacher certainly didn't like my story but the other kids did and I think it was then that I got hooked on the thrill of manipulating people's hearts and minds with the written word.

Last edited:

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
I started in high school when I worked on my school's newspaper. I've been a journalist ever since. :)

Tricksie-ish

Registered
Reaction score
My brother and I used to write Tv scripts, when we were in elementary school. This was back in the 60s, and we liked to write episodes of "The Man from Uncle," "The Avengers," shows like that. It was so fun, and I think I will ask my Mom if she has any of those scripts in her things.

writeperch

just write
Registered
Reaction score
I started in 2nd grade by copying the Seven Chinese Brothers word for word and calling it my own. My older brother explained plagarism to me, but I just didn't quite get it at the time. It wasn't until 5th grade-ish that I really started writing stuff. I was blown away by Larry Niven's "Known Universe" short stories (or was it Unknown?). So I started writing short stories.

And now I'm a tech writer ... where did I go wrong?!

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
I started writing when I was maybe eight or nine. I remember writing a story about a girl who was locked in the playground yard at school and couldn't get out.

It's been an adventure ever since.

laurel29

has a lopsided smile.
Registered
Reaction score
I started writing in second grade as well. (seems to be a popular time) I wrote a story for school about a little girl who wanted a horse for christmas but new she couldn't have one. She hears something in the middle of the night, (Christmas eve of course- I think it was a little magical christmas mouse or something like that) she talks to it for a while and in the morning she wakes up and sees a rocking horse under the tree. She is very happy and says "Just what I wanted" to her parents who are wondering how the heck it got there. At the time I was very proud of it-my parents and teachers were too. That was around the time my dad started telling me I was going to grow up and be a writer. He just wanted me to write his biography :(. I wrote through my teens and then stopped when I had kids-I had no time and I wasn't doing anything with things I wrote anyway so it seemed pointless. (Not to mention my husband who never read anything made fun of writing :( ) Now I have started again and pointless or not I remember how much I enjoyed it. Thank you all - this place has inspired me :) (man I babble)

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
I started in third grade. There was this assignment that included these different piles of cards. One pile had an animal, another a color and the final one had a scene. I was hooked the moment I figured out the story for a red giraffe would be different than the one for a purple giraffe. And I've been making up stories ever since.

Nashelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
uk.geocities.com
I wrote my first story when I was seven. It was called The Green Bone and I think it was on green paper. I was proud of it. Wish I'd kept it safe.

I made up lots of stories in my head with many characters and wish I'd thought to write them down. I loved writing stories an poems in school but didn't seriously sit down to write until I was seventeen ( a book of poems I'd forgotten about and recently found - not publishable stuff though)

I started writing again about twenty years later. I had hypnotherapy for a phobia and went on the do A level art and started to write so the therapy must have cleared the way or opened something up. Then I wished I'd been writing all along.

'If wishes were fishes the sea would be empty and we'd have nothing to eat on Fridays'

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
I started writing in high school but nothing serious. I started writing professionally for newspapers in 1995. So, I have been writing for 11 years. I have written for newspapers, magazines, television, radio and now internet. I enjoy the Internet medium most.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I was about 5, I think. My folks have the books. I don't remember that far back.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was about 10 when I first started writing stories. Quite strangely, it wasn't even that long ago. I was about 12 or 13 when I started reading writers' websites, messageboards, etc., and learning about publishing and the craft of writing. So as you can see, I was a very, er, outgoing child.

It's kind of scary to think I didn't even start until 5 years ago, and I've been writing seriously for 3 years. God, how time moves so quickly and yet so slowly.

CatzEyez

Registered
Reaction score
not sure

i am not really sure i have always wrote
for me it was kind of an escape as a kid.
i did not keep track of any of my writting until high school
that was when i started keeping poetry books and short stories.

Kushiel

Registered
Reaction score
Actually I have always been writing, keeping journals and things like that. I become serious about it about four years ago when reading a book and daydreaming was no longer enough for me.

MomHumor

The Grand Adventurer

As a child, we didn't have a lot of money. Well, my parents were well off, but I was poor. I believe the term is "Land Rich." So I would entertain myself for hours, going on grand quests and great adventures.

I would then recount my adventures and various harrowing tales to the kind queen (my Mom), who would instantly turn red and throw me into the dungeon. After hours in my room, the Punisher would call me forth and give me The Talk. (Usually on Distruction of Property, Defacement, Respecting Other People's things, etc.)

After a while, I figured out that the punishment was too great, so I just started writing. My Mom was my first editor. I remember a particularly mean letter I wrote to her as a grouchy thirteen year old. She corrected it and handed it back, with cretiques. (Like: over usage of the F word shows lack of imagination.) I was horrifed, but it prepared me for critics.

I was locally and nationally published at 15. After which I quit writing becasue I 'discovered boys.' Had a few more grand adventures after that. ;)

Now I stay at home, raise children and write. Its a simple life, but enjoyable...

-----
A giggle a day keeps the craziness away... mostly...

perky_ms_d

Squeeze me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perkymsd.blogspot.com
i started my writing as a hobby way back in highschool. My mom who is a frustrated writer inspired me. However, i am neither a member of any writer's guild in highschool nor in any school papers. It's all personal. I wanted to be a writer once just to continue what my mother wasnt able to do but i end up being a librarian and a teacher. Will there still be a chance for me, whadda ya think?

Can't Catch A Break

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephanie-guerilus.com
I started in the 6th grade.

First with essays. I would make up these stories about my life and I got transferred to a more proficient class.

When I was in 8th grade, I began to write a soap opera.

It wasn't until college that I immersed myself in novel writing and news editorial.

Silverhand

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericfogle.com
I didnt start writing for pleasure until I was 21. Saying that, I never read a book for pleasure until I was 20 3/4.

I am an impulse person driven to succeed at whatever I do. (Though I have failed many, many, many times.) My writing started for one reason and one reason alone---a english teacher told me how bad I was. It pissed me off so much I had to read....and then write.

My current novel, which I am working on getting published, would not have been finished if my mother-in-law hadn't first begin a religious argument with me, and then said I could never finish a novel. Her comment made me so mad that I went to work one day and started to write. Little did I know that 4 months later I would kick out a 445 page manuscript. :(

Heartsease

Registered
Reaction score
The third grade for sure and maybe the second. I had a nationally published poem in the third grade. You know if I had the confidence now at 46 that I had at nine I would have a whole freakin giant sterlite tub full of rejection notices. My folks weren't impressed and they along with others told me I would never be good enough to be a writer. It has taken me all these years to get past that and start writing again.

LA

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I started writing stories as soon as I learned to write, but I didn't write seriously until about 5 years ago, when I discovered my first internet forum. (I still go there, by the way. :) ) They have a section for text-based role playing, unusual for a video game forum, so I read through a couple of the larger ones and was instantly hooked.

My writing back then was fairly atrocious, but once I saw how good some of the other people were, I decided I could write like that. And...I can. Now that I know I can write at the amatuer level, I can try for professional. XD I'm having fun so I don't really care either way, but it's nice to dream. ^^;

~DragonHeart~

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
All the drugs I took in the 70s sort of wiped out all my memories. However, my hypnotherapist seems to think we're making good progress restoring my childhood.

I now vaguely recall getting this printing press from my parents when I was in grade school and putting out my own newsletters with it. I was writer, editor, and publisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.