PDA

View Full Version : Survey

Roger J Carlson
07-21-2006, 05:21 PM
I think it would be interesting to know who is who around here. In particular, I'd like to know the ratio of Christians to non-Christians that frequent this board and what you write (fiction or non fiction).

Definitions:

Christian: To keep this from becoming a debate, we are going to use the broadest possible definition of Christian, i.e. simply whether you identify yourself as a Christian or not.

Non-Christian: Anyone who does not identify themselves as a Christian.

Christian fiction/non-fiction: Written for an identifiable Christian Market.

Secular fiction/non-fiction: Written for a market other than the Christian Market.

ETA: Multiple choices are allowed.

Feel free to post comments below as well.

Robin Bayne
07-21-2006, 06:45 PM
I am a Christian who began as a secular romance writer, but now write Christian fiction as well as non--including articles and devotionals.

ChunkyC
07-22-2006, 07:17 PM
I have only lurked here since I'm a non-Christian secular fiction and non-fiction writer. But I am working on a science fiction/fantasy novel that explores the rise of a religious order on a world colonized by humans, and so the insights presented in this forum are valuable indeed for me and my work.

SeanDSchaffer
07-26-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm a Christian, and I write secular fiction, but with a Christian slant. I tend to hold to what Gene Roddenberry once said. He said that people tend to write what they believe. I agree with that, as, though my work is secular fiction, I still write it from the perspective of what I personally believe.

reph
07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm non-Christian, and I write for a secular market. "Write" and "market" sound pretentious, given that most of what I write is magazine puzzles. Strongly religious themes aren't allowed there; the audience is too varied. For instance, a story or word list used in a puzzle can be about Christmas if the treatment isn't too Christian.

Gravity
07-26-2006, 04:55 PM
former athiest, now Christian, writing for both CBA and ABA

HoosierCowgirl
07-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Christian, writing Christian fiction. Although the last items I sold were devotionals.

Interesting responses :)

Ann

Calla Lily
07-27-2006, 02:02 AM
Christian, writing Christian fiction and non-fiction, and non-christian nonfiction.

MidnightMuse
07-27-2006, 02:13 AM
I happen to be a Christian who writes secular fiction. :)

Pat~
07-27-2006, 03:23 AM
I'm a Christian, and I write Bible studies, devotionals, lots of poetry, and a few articles now and then, primarily for the Christian market.

C. L. Richardson
07-28-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm a Christian writer, but my work would probably fall under both Christian and secular fiction. I'd have to flip a coin to pick one.

Jamesaritchie
08-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Christian who writes secular fiction.

Patricia
08-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Christian Writer-Christian Fiction. Will try secular when I finish current WIP and two pending.

Shadow_Ferret
08-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Well, to be snarky about it.... :) ... I don't view myself as Christian or non-Christian. Nor do I view my work as secular for that same reason. My work doesn't have religious themes in it, nor does it try to avoid religious themes. It's nontheistic. It's fantasy. And in the world they have their own fictional gods. So I think anyone can read my works, they aren't designated for any specific religious or non-religious market. They just are. So I chose other.

Bk_30
08-10-2006, 11:26 PM
I write both secular and christian fiction for children. Inspi one of my favorite writers made the same change..secular romance to christian fiction..she's part of what helped me discover the christian fiction market :)

BrianTubbs
08-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Well, I'm a Christian (as well as a pastor and former Christian school teacher). I've so far written only nonfiction articles (and most of them were secular). I plan to expand into Christian nonfiction and fiction. In fact, I'm working on two nonfiction book proposals aimed squarely at the Christian market.

Soccer Mom
08-16-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm a Christian writing secular fiction, but religion is a part of my characters' lives. Just like ordinary people.

aruna
08-16-2006, 11:23 AM
I voted Other. I missed a category that was neither Christian or secular!

I'm a non-Christian writer, writing at present for the secular market but with (non-Christian) spiritual themes - hidden for the most part, and yet anyone reading between the lines will be aware of them, and, I hope, understand.

I hope one day to write non-fiction spiritual books, but they will not be specifically Christian.

Angelinity
08-16-2006, 12:02 PM
born a christian - not practicing nor embracing any *religion* as such, hmm.

couldn't call myself a christian writer - of anything. that sounds... limiting, i guess.

inspirational, maybe - though not exactly (?) you've given me something new to question: what am i? - thanks ;-(

...though religion does pop into my writing in spite of myself...

smiley10000
08-23-2006, 03:41 PM
I voted Other. I missed a category that was neither Christian or secular!

I'm a non-Christian writer, writing at present for the secular market but with (non-Christian) spiritual themes - hidden for the most part, and yet anyone reading between the lines will be aware of them, and, I hope, understand.

I hope one day to write non-fiction spiritual books, but they will not be specifically Christian.

What she said
:D 10000

mrsrgm
08-25-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm a Christian who writes Horror (gasp) and am working on a non-fiction book on how to be a Grown-Up Woman and a Christian.... :]]

SherryTex
08-25-2006, 10:12 PM
I am Catholic and write religious, theological and spiritual pieces, as well as humor, both fact and family based and made up.

veinglory
08-25-2006, 10:17 PM
I am definitley atheist but I lurk in the religious and spiritual subforums as this is the main subject I write poetry on. A good few of my successful (published) poems are Christian or use Christian texts and imagery.

Kentuk
10-07-2006, 04:00 AM
post christian
secular fiction
I'm fine with religion, its the content I don't agree with.
deal with many spiritual themes
back in the day I preached, evangelized went to the YWAM School of Evangelism and Oral Roberts University.

BruceJ
11-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm a Christian who writes historical Biblically based 'creative non-fiction'. I accept the historical fact of some of my characters; therefore, it's not purely fiction. I do fill in characters and events that further the story, but support the Biblical record.

I'm also curious about the "Other" category. I see a couple threads above, but am still a little puzzled. The question about being Christian or non-Christian seems binary to me. Can we define what we mean by "Christian?"

Roger J Carlson
11-06-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm also curious about the "Other" category. I see a couple threads above, but am still a little puzzled. The question about being Christian or non-Christian seems binary to me. Can we define what we mean by "Christian?"Well, I pretty much had the same assumption when I created the survey. I think Christian vs. non-Christian is binary (although Kentuck's "post christian" blurs the line). However, the category of Christian vs. Secular is less than binary. As Aruna pointed out, there can be religious/spiritual writing that can be neither Christian nor Secular.

I included Other just on the chance that I missed something, and I'm glad I did. My own bias that anything non-Christian could be considered "secular" led me astray.

As for defining Christian, for the purposes of this survey, "Christian" simply means that the poster considers him/herself a Christian.

BruceJ
11-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Roger,

Got it. Thanks. I didn't make the Christian vs. Secular equation, as other faiths certainly have their literature which would be in the non-secular arena. But Jewish writing--although non-secular--certainly wouldn't be classified as Christian...I think...maybe... :-)

Thanks for the reply.

askeladd
12-08-2006, 04:26 AM
I'm a Christian who has a secular non-fiction WIP (vocab exercise book). I'm interested in writing fiction someday, but right now I have too many irons in the fire. I don't necessarily envision writing fiction with a Christian theme, although what I write would tend to be consonant with my beliefs.

Marc Meole
01-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm an other...

I write christian plays. I lead the drama team at my church and we preform skits (8-12 min) as part of the service as well as larger productions for the holidays.

My writing is pretty much all over the board. From total farce to heavy drama. It really depends on what I am trying to get across.

Higgins
01-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I think it would be interesting to know who is who around here. In particular, I'd like to know the ratio of Christians to non-Christians that frequent this board and what you write (fiction or non fiction).

Definitions:

Christian: To keep this from becoming a debate, we are going to use the broadest possible definition of Christian, i.e. simply whether you identify yourself as a Christian or not.

Non-Christian: Anyone who does not identify themselves as a Christian.

Christian fiction/non-fiction: Written for an identifiable Christian Market.

Secular fiction/non-fiction: Written for a market other than the Christian Market.

ETA: Multiple choices are allowed.

Feel free to post comments below as well.

I surveyed myself like a Christian, but I am Christian in Name only.

I do write secular fiction IMO: late antique ecclesiastical and cultish concerns of a vaguely da Vinciesque nature, gratuitous sex and mindless violence and evil beings that do great good and good beings that do terrible evil. Dogs and cats living together, real old testament stuff.

Meerkat
01-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Buddhist for the past decade or two (retired Roman Catholic); my fiction and non-fiction usually feature Buddhism as a central or secondary theme. Agents and publishers so far unanimously agree on their ambivalence...

Hivehome
01-30-2007, 01:03 AM
None of the above

David Conner
02-19-2007, 06:44 AM
I am a Christian. I write Christian non-fiction and both Christian and secular poetry.

Anonymous Traveler
02-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I am a servant of God. I haven't always been. I am comfortable in expressing my love for Him saving me, through the Anglican Church. I started writing last fall and had poor response from my work. After an encounter with the Spirit and writing for Him my works have received positive response. My works are not heavily religious but the influence of God is central in the characters. And I feel great about myself. At 63 I have discovered His path for me. For simplicity the question needed to be binary but there are many sub-genres in this craft, perhaps some that are unique. I have one work where Eden is a planet.

Thank you Roger for giving us a place for our thoughts.

Come Back Kid
02-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Roger:
I checked "other." A Christian, saved by Grace, who has written a few Christian poems. One about prophecy, which I'll post soon.
Traveler: The Spirit sure makes a difference doesn't He. So glad you are on track. Your mention of Eden as a planet brought back memories of a trilogy by C.S. Lewis. One was called "Perelandia." I know I did not spell it right. Adam and Eve were on another planet. Three good works.
Roger:
Off the subject: I know the computer removes words that should not be on AW. I was reading on another forum and a man I like very much used GD.
I don't want to hurt his feelings but God put something in me when I got saved that makes me despise hearing, or reading, that word. Does anyone else feel that way?
Could not that word also be deleted automatically?
And Roger, thanks for the time you put in to make this an enjoyable experience.
God Bless,
Jim

Anonymous Traveler
02-22-2007, 08:20 PM
I know the computer removes words that should not be on AW. I was reading on another forum and a man I like very much used GD.

As much as some things said and done inside the confines of AW offend me personally I think censorship (http://www.cbc.ca/censorthis/) puts us on the clichéd slippery slope. I asked the poster about why G-d and received a post back explaining his rationale. I understand his beliefs and reason for expressing the Deity that way. I would be uncomfortable with practicing his faith. But, failure to understand the beliefs of others condemns us to the sin of ignorance. Perhaps we would discover that where we are is not where He want's us. Would the wisdom of such as the Dali Lama find their way to the list of excluded thoughts.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-22-2007, 11:31 PM
I know I voted under my old account, but several things about me have changed since I made my original vote.

I am no longer a Christian, so I felt obligated to re-vote accordingly.

What I voted was non-Christian who writes secular fiction, and Other, because I'm entering freelance writing now as an article writer--hopefully able to find a place soon to handle my work.

I'm not going to go into any details about my new religion, because of respect for the people here and because such an issue would be off-topic for this thread. But I did feel an obligation to change my vote to reflect what I am and how I write today.

Anyway, I hope you all have a good day, and a good rest-of-the-week. I'll most likely be lurking if anything around this board, but not necessarily posting in the same manner as I used to here.

:)

Sean D. Schaffer
02-23-2007, 12:10 AM
As much as some things said and done inside the confines of AW offend me personally I think censorship (http://www.cbc.ca/censorthis/) puts us on the clichéd slippery slope. I asked the poster about why G-d and received a post back explaining his rationale. I understand his beliefs and reason for expressing the Deity that way. I would be uncomfortable with practicing his faith. But, failure to understand the beliefs of others condemns us to the sin of ignorance. Perhaps we would discover that where we are is not where He want's us. Would the wisdom of such as the Dali Lama find their way to the list of excluded thoughts.

I think I understand, now, why Come Back Kid is so bothered by my words.

Come Back Kid, when I say 'G-d', it's not a cuss-word. I'm simply taking the 'o' out of the three letter word that many people use to describe the deity I worship. So instead of writing the word out completely, I'm writing it out as 'G-d'. I promise you, this is not short form for blasphemy.

Now I see why you're so bothered by my use of the word 'G-d', but out respect for Him, I'm not going to stop calling Him that, even if it might offend someone else.

Come Back Kid
02-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Sean:
I'm not at all bothered by G-d. Why not just say G? I think most would understand what you mean. I by no means think that is blasphemy. However; when someone has accepted Jesus as The Christ, then refers to Him as an idol, they should not be concerned with anything else being blasphemous.
I should not have lost my temper with you but if you had slandered my parents, I would have also been very angry. You have the right to any belief you want
but knowing I value and trust Jesus as my Saviour. You should never have belittled Him to me.
Most know we fight a spiritual battle, not a physical one. You are more than likely a pretty good person. This is only my opinion but I feel you have enough grief without me adding to it. I would like your forgiveness for my angry words.
Jim

Come Back Kid
02-23-2007, 06:20 AM
By The Way--My comment to Roger was about someone adding Damn to the first part. I can see how some may have mis-understood. It was in the poetry section. He's one of my pals and would not want to hurt his feelings.
Jim

Sean D. Schaffer
02-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Sean:
I'm not at all bothered by G-d. Why not just say G? I think most would understand what you mean. I by no means think that is blasphemy. However; when someone has accepted Jesus as The Christ, then refers to Him as an idol, they should not be concerned with anything else being blasphemous.
I should not have lost my temper with you but if you had slandered my parents, I would have also been very angry. You have the right to any belief you want
but knowing I value and trust Jesus as my Saviour. You should never have belittled Him to me.
Most know we fight a spiritual battle, not a physical one. You are more than likely a pretty good person. This is only my opinion but I feel you have enough grief without me adding to it. I would like your forgiveness for my angry words.
Jim

I forgive you, Jim. I also acted very much inappropriately in my responses, and I admit to that. A lot of it had to do with the wording you used in the first PM. You might recall your first words to me via PM were 'Hey Pal'. I don't know how your generation uses those words, but to my generation, those are fighting words.

Nevertheless, when I read your response to the 'boy' comment, I realized you might still be rather young. And being rather young, you would be very taken aback by my statements.

I'm not going to apologize for my viewpoints on Jesus. I will, however, apologize for my actions, here and now. After I had made my response about Jesus being an idol, I read that such talk on my part could cause you to turn away from the G-d of the Bible. It's hard to explain in just a post, but it's something the author of a book I've been reading calls 'Associationism', where someone associates one god with the Most High. I myself worshiped the G-d of the Bible in such a way, so I should know better than to treat a person doing the same thing like an idol worshipper.

But--and this is not an excuse for my behavior by any stretch of the imagination, just an explanation of why I did it--I only became a Noahide in December. So I'm still learning a lot about my new faith and have a tendency to be very overzealous about it. I said in the past that I would not abhor Christians, because I was raised Christian. Yet I have done so in a most despicable manner. I admit what I did was wrong and I humbly apologize for my actions. Just because I believe something in particular, does not mean I should necessarily burden other people with such beliefs.

Anyway, I've had you on 'Ignore' for the last couple days, but seeing that we've both calmed down substantially, I see no reason to keep you on such a status.

But know this: when you go onto a forum and tell people about your faith who might not want to hear about it, you will receive a lot of resistance on their part. Getting someone to believe in your god is not so much an issue of telling them about him, but rather being an example of what he would want you to be. I quit being a Christian in part because of other Christians and their actions. So be warned: you have a hard road to walk, and people around you have expectations of what a Christian should act like. I'm not saying everyone will come to Jesus by your actions, because we're all human and we all have our own decisions to make. But I am saying that if you want to make a difference for your god's glory, then by all means study what he said, what he believed, and follow in his footsteps as best you can.

One more thing: the only real major difference between a Noahide and a Christian is that a Noahide does not worship Jesus as though he's G-d. We do worship the same G-d, though, in the form of what you would call G-d the Father. So understand that I did not turn away from the G-d of the Bible; rather, I'm simply following Him in a different manner than you are.

I'll talk to you later.

Plot Device
04-16-2007, 05:25 AM
I am a Christian who wants to write screenplays for the big budget movie studios. NOT the indie studios and NOT the Christian studios (technically, all the Christian studios ARE indies). So I voted that I am a Christian who wants to write non-Christian fiction.

Lady Esther
04-16-2007, 06:19 AM
I chose other (before I read the first post) because I am a Christian and my stories are centered around religion, but not Christianity because my story is prehistoric fiction. So, maybe it's closer to Judaism. I also don't want to sign with a Christian market because I want to appeal to more people.

dub
05-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Christian - fancy myself as Christian Fiction Writer, truth of the matter, I will write anything that has $ attached. That rather makes me a prostitute, and that in itself is Biblical.

Pat~
10-09-2007, 07:26 PM
*bump*

Aramis
12-19-2007, 07:26 AM
I find myself squarely in this board's majority as a Christian writing secular fiction. I wish I could write Christian novels, but very few people can pull it off without sounding preachy/cheesy/cliche. I'm not one of them. Frank Peretti is.

As for the fiction... it's what I usually read, since it holds my attention better than nonfiction. I like a plot that chugs along at a nice pace, so that's what I write (or try to).

Monkey
12-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Off the subject: I know the computer removes words that should not be on AW.

<SNIP>

Actually, the computer does NOT remove words. The newbie guide covers this in some detail.

Sorry to butt in. And now back to your originally scheduled thread...

Simple Living
12-19-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm a Christian who writes Christian fiction, devotionals, Bible studies, and secular fiction. I'm now moving into freelance writing, which will include secular nonfiction.

oscuridad
12-20-2007, 12:33 AM
I have no Religion or Belief set (I practice Philosophical Taoism, however), and write secular fiction. It often deals with Religion, which I find fascinating (which is why I hang around here), and its impact on individuals and societies, both negative and positive.

dadburnett
01-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Insofar as my faith and my personal relationship with Christ Jesus is concerned, I am Christian. However, outside my individual "box" (pew) I have been seen as non-Christian or as a CINO (I reject both perceptions as this is a matter of heart and soul beyond the ken of others.) I am an itinerant independent New Thought Christian minister (retired) and have worshiped and served in various religious venues - Baptist, Mormon, Evangelical, New Thought/Unity, etc. I veiw self as spiritual, no longer religious and I write about spirituality and following the explicit teachings and the example of Christ Jesus - not about the stuff of church and religious practice, tradition, doctrine or dogma.

RoamingWriterNG
01-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Christian, writing Christian fiction. Although the last items I sold were devotionals.

Interesting responses :)

Ann

Where did you sell them? How?! When?! How?! Who?! Tell me woman!!!!!!!! Help. PLease!!!!!!!

swove
02-01-2008, 06:03 AM
I am a Christian trying to write fiction I have one story written trying to edit and clean it up, the story has no religious themes to it. But first and foremost I believe that God is directing me to something; I am just trying to figure out what he wants me to do, I know he is watching over me and with God at my side I can do no wrong. The only problem is when I try to take over and not let him lead

matt_the_cook
03-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Even though much of what I write isn't really for a Christian market everything does express my worldview which is completely based on Christ. I don't really see much of a distinction between the sacred and the secular. We're all expressing something.