Survey

What kind of writer are you and what do you write?

• Non-Christian writer - Christian fiction

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non-Christian writer - Christian non-fiction

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be interesting to know who is who around here. In particular, I'd like to know the ratio of Christians to non-Christians that frequent this board and what you write (fiction or non fiction).

Definitions:

Christian: To keep this from becoming a debate, we are going to use the broadest possible definition of Christian, i.e. simply whether you identify yourself as a Christian or not.

Non-Christian: Anyone who does not identify themselves as a Christian.

Christian fiction/non-fiction: Written for an identifiable Christian Market.

Secular fiction/non-fiction: Written for a market other than the Christian Market.

ETA: Multiple choices are allowed.

Feel free to post comments below as well.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have only lurked here since I'm a non-Christian secular fiction and non-fiction writer. But I am working on a science fiction/fantasy novel that explores the rise of a religious order on a world colonized by humans, and so the insights presented in this forum are valuable indeed for me and my work.

SeanDSchaffer

I'm a Christian, and I write secular fiction, but with a Christian slant. I tend to hold to what Gene Roddenberry once said. He said that people tend to write what they believe. I agree with that, as, though my work is secular fiction, I still write it from the perspective of what I personally believe.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I'm non-Christian, and I write for a secular market. "Write" and "market" sound pretentious, given that most of what I write is magazine puzzles. Strongly religious themes aren't allowed there; the audience is too varied. For instance, a story or word list used in a puzzle can be about Christmas if the treatment isn't too Christian.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Christian, and I write Bible studies, devotionals, lots of poetry, and a few articles now and then, primarily for the Christian market.

Last edited:

C. L. Richardson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Christian writer, but my work would probably fall under both Christian and secular fiction. I'd have to flip a coin to pick one.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Well, to be snarky about it.... :) ... I don't view myself as Christian or non-Christian. Nor do I view my work as secular for that same reason. My work doesn't have religious themes in it, nor does it try to avoid religious themes. It's nontheistic. It's fantasy. And in the world they have their own fictional gods. So I think anyone can read my works, they aren't designated for any specific religious or non-religious market. They just are. So I chose other.

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm a Christian (as well as a pastor and former Christian school teacher). I've so far written only nonfiction articles (and most of them were secular). I plan to expand into Christian nonfiction and fiction. In fact, I'm working on two nonfiction book proposals aimed squarely at the Christian market.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Christian writing secular fiction, but religion is a part of my characters' lives. Just like ordinary people.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I voted Other. I missed a category that was neither Christian or secular!

I'm a non-Christian writer, writing at present for the secular market but with (non-Christian) spiritual themes - hidden for the most part, and yet anyone reading between the lines will be aware of them, and, I hope, understand.

I hope one day to write non-fiction spiritual books, but they will not be specifically Christian.

Last edited:

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
born a christian - not practicing nor embracing any *religion* as such, hmm.

couldn't call myself a christian writer - of anything. that sounds... limiting, i guess.

inspirational, maybe - though not exactly (?) you've given me something new to question: what am i? - thanks ;-(

...though religion does pop into my writing in spite of myself...

smiley10000

What do we do? We write...
Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
I voted Other. I missed a category that was neither Christian or secular!

I'm a non-Christian writer, writing at present for the secular market but with (non-Christian) spiritual themes - hidden for the most part, and yet anyone reading between the lines will be aware of them, and, I hope, understand.

I hope one day to write non-fiction spiritual books, but they will not be specifically Christian.

What she said
:D 10000

mrsrgm

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Christian who writes Horror (gasp) and am working on a non-fiction book on how to be a Grown-Up Woman and a Christian.... :]]

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am definitley atheist but I lurk in the religious and spiritual subforums as this is the main subject I write poetry on. A good few of my successful (published) poems are Christian or use Christian texts and imagery.

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
post christian
secular fiction
I'm fine with religion, its the content I don't agree with.
deal with many spiritual themes
back in the day I preached, evangelized went to the YWAM School of Evangelism and Oral Roberts University.

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
I'm a Christian who writes historical Biblically based 'creative non-fiction'. I accept the historical fact of some of my characters; therefore, it's not purely fiction. I do fill in characters and events that further the story, but support the Biblical record.

I'm also curious about the "Other" category. I see a couple threads above, but am still a little puzzled. The question about being Christian or non-Christian seems binary to me. Can we define what we mean by "Christian?"

Status
Not open for further replies.