My favourite ST: DS9 episode is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
Spike has on "Far Beyond the Stars," which if you're not familiar with it, a good synopsis is here:

http://www.jammersreviews.com/ds9-6/stars.php

DS9 is my favorite ST series - dark, sometimes disturbing, always interesting.

It has made my day off - excellent. Even if I cry at the end of the episode. Sniff!

Back to our regular programming and madness,

Karen

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Karen! :Hug2: I agree, that has to be one of the best Trek episodes of any of the series.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
"Far Beyond the Stars" was an example of a bit of a dorky premise...which was handled with absolutely POWERFUL writing. I adored that episode. IT was one of the reasons why I love DS9. It's right there with Babylon 5 with me.

Episodes like that, and "In the Pale Moonlight" were just stunning.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Heck yeah! DS9 was by far my favorite Star Trek.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
:Wha:
There was a good episode of DS9?

I'm going to spank your hands.

I think that is one of the best episodes of anything that has been on TV in years and years. I could watch that one over and over....

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
The later seasons of DS9 are definitely my favorites in the Trek universe. Maybe it's because they had an interesting story arc, rather than one-off "planet of the day" episodes.

Even though "Far Beyond the Stars" was a one-off, I thought it was a fantastic episode. I'm not sure it would have the same impact for someone who wasn't familiar with the characters, though.

(and if you watched The Original Series growing up, the DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations" episode is a lot of fun)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Cath said:
http://http://www.jammersreviews.com/ds9-6/moonlight.php

Am I the only one who thinks Avery Brooks has the sexiest voice in the universe?

Oh man, he has a voice like silk. He's definitely on my list of men who could read the phone book aloud without boring me. Avery Brooks narrates quite a few documentaries for the Discovery channel.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
"In the Pale Moonlight" - yes, yes, yes! Amazing episode, especially when Sisko says to the camera, "I can live with it," then erases his recounting of the events.

I have to second the tribble episode. Sure, it's a gimmick to go back to the original series, but they did it so well. You believe they're hanging with Kirk and Spock in the original Enterprise. Now I watch the original series' Tribble episode and try to see where they put in the DS9 additions to scenes.

I'm really not a ST fangirl at all. Star Wars is my thing. And Tolkien. With some Monty Python thrown in.

DS9 rules. I really liked Enterprise too, in the beginning. Then the whole Xendi thing started, and bile rose in my throat. And then Nazis showed up.:Wha:

And Voyager's last episode reeked. Stinky, bad, ewwww...blech.

I say Brannon Braga killed the franchise. Discuss?

Karen
(Avery Brooks can read to me anytime)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Brannon Braga is a bit of a moron. I've thought that for a long time, even when he was working on DS9. I had very low expectations when he went on to write the new Battlestar Galactica (I think he only wrote the mini-series, I don't know if he does the regular series or not).

His name on the credits was part of the reason I didn't try to make the time to watch the new Battlestar.

DS9 showed what Star Trek had the potential to be if it took itself seriously, if it based itself around its writers. It had actors. They made Worf into a more interesting person than he was on TNG, they made Sisko a fascinating character, and Odo was wonderful.

And Rom. Ah. Rom.

The wonderful thing about DS9 (one of them) was that it had this entire cast of regular characters who got just as much (sometimes more) screen time than the main cast, and none of them were on the regular credits. People like Garak, Gul Dukat (amazingly played, all the way through) and Rom and Nog, and....um....Martok! Yes!

*melts*

I want to watch DS9 again...

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
PeeDee said:
Brannon Braga is a bit of a moron. I've thought that for a long time, even when he was working on DS9. I had very low expectations when he went on to write the new Battlestar Galactica (I think he only wrote the mini-series, I don't know if he does the regular series or not).

His name on the credits was part of the reason I didn't try to make the time to watch the new Battlestar.

Brannon Braga is not involved in the new Battlestar Galactica.

Ron Moore is the creator and executive producer of BG, and a former writer for DS9 and Voyager. He used to work for BB during his run writing Trek episodes, but the two had a *ahem* falling out, and Moore quit. Moore left for greener pastures and now has one of the best TV shows on the tube.

I doubt that BB would have been welcomed into the production team.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
chaostitan said:
Brannon Braga is not involved in the new Battlestar Galactica.
Ron Moore is the creator and executive producer of BG, and a former writer for DS9 and Voyager. He used to work for BB during his run writing Trek episodes, but the two had a *ahem* falling out, and Moore quit. Moore left for greener pastures and now has one of the best TV shows on the tube.
I doubt that BB would have been welcomed into the production team.

Urk. You're right, of course. Sorry!

(this means I can throw heavy rocks at Braga and no one will actually object! Bonus!)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
And I can't recommend strongly enough that you go rent the Battlestar miniseries. Then rent or buy season one. And then season two....

YES!! I'm am a late convert to BSG and I cna honestly say it's totally fantastic. They have some of the best storylines and character development I've seen. They go places network television fears to tread.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Well,I do have Netflix, maybe I will.

After Babylon 5 and DS9, I felt like science fiction as a medium (in film, in television) was really falling apart. I enjoyed "I, Robot" immensely, though it had nothing to do with the book, but things like "Enterprise" made me retreat back to my books.

And then, with the huge amount of press coverage the new BSG got, I got a bit turned off toward it. Which is probably just me getting cynical in my old age.

So, all right, I'll bump BSG-mini-series to the top of my Netflix, hey?

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I can take or leave BSG. I think it lost points straight out by being a re-make of a series that's already been done twice before. I find the characters unlikeable and I just don't sympathise with their plight.

That said - the music is fantastic.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Cath said:
I can take or leave BSG. I think it lost points straight out by being a re-make of a series that's already been done twice before. I find the characters unlikeable and I just don't sympathise with their plight.
That said - the music is fantastic.

Be it the old version or be it the new version, I always thought that the original premise was really solid, and I would have loved that instead of the TV show, we got a really good series of books written by some top-notch authors (sort of the way they planned "The New Jedi Order" series, you know?)

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
The new BSG series is wonderful. I say that as a person who loved the camp of the original series and all their lovely outfits (hey, it was the end of the 70s, after all) and was in no way going to watch how they made Starbuck into a girl etc. etc.

It may take a few episodes to get used to, so just flush any memories of the original series out of your brain and enjoy the ride. The ships look lived in, the people aren't "pretty" (except for Trisha Helfer, but there's a reason for that), and the stories are solid.

And I want to sign up to throw rocks at BB too. Do we have a smilie for that?

Karen

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
allion said:
The new BSG series is wonderful. I say that as a person who loved the camp of the original series and all their lovely outfits (hey, it was the end of the 70s, after all) and was in no way going to watch how they made Starbuck into a girl etc. etc.

*Sigh* I hear ya! Even those I was a wee lass when the original was on, I wouldn't have minded being the filling in an Apollo and Starbuck sandwich ;)

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
When I was younger, I loved Apollo. So good, and followed the straight and narrow path etc. etc.

Now, I would so hang out with Starbuck. Dirk Benedict in his prime. Yummy!

Have I mentioned their tight pants yet?

Karen

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
Yeah, count me in as a Starbuck girl too. Even with his stinky cigars! The new BSG series seemed to get better the more I watched it but I still wish they'd change the names of some of the characters (like Starbuck and Boomer). It's just not right turning Starbuck into a girl!

As for DS9 . . . my favorite episode would have to be Worf's wedding. I think they should do a series about the Klingons!

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
Think of the possibilities - Klingon sitcoms, soap operas (probably extremely violent and with loud, hideous music), news shows. There is a vast source that they have left untapped.

Beats Fear Factor any day.

And yeah, although I like the Starbuck girl character, my heart will always be with Mr. Benedict.

And I dislike the new Apollo. Whiny. Wimpy. Has daddy issues.

Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.