PDA

View Full Version : Why do you Blog

Talia
07-20-2006, 10:38 AM
After reading the blogging forum i became interested in people's motivations for blogging. i thought i'd see why people do it and if it's working for them

You can tick 1 or more answers

FYI I don't blog yet but plan to and my reasons would be:
grow my customer base so that people
- buy my books and services
- see me as an expert in my chosen field!

bsolah
07-20-2006, 11:13 AM
I put down that I do it because I like to write, and also I want to establish myself as an 'expert,' though not exactly. My motivation is to create an awareness that I exist, to get my name out there, and for some reason or another, it could pay dividends when I'm published. This is both in the horror writing sense, and the Marxist revolutionary sense, as well as the meshing of the two.

Talia
07-20-2006, 12:31 PM
i currently write non fiction so being an expert in my field is helpful!

L M Ashton
07-20-2006, 02:53 PM
I write to keep family and friends updated on my life here, so far away from them, and also to educate people about life and culture in a foreign country. That option wasn't available on your list. :)

Talia
07-20-2006, 03:21 PM
noooooo
but a good one. i hadn't thought about personal blogs in that way!

L M Ashton
07-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Yeah, well, I'm the first person ever to use blogs in that way. I invented it. I am clearly a genius. :D

Marilyn Braun
07-20-2006, 03:34 PM
I blog because I love the subject that I write about - royalty. If people see me as an expert on the subject then all the better!

Thomma Lyn
07-20-2006, 06:42 PM
My motivation is to create an awareness that I exist, to get my name out there, and for some reason or another, it could pay dividends when I'm published.

Same reasons here. And of course #1: I like to write. :)

aka eraser
07-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Because Dawno made me. Blame Dawno.

Tish Davidson
07-20-2006, 07:26 PM
An interesting survey of why people in the UK blog and why people in the UK read blogs - very different reasons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5197808.stm

KellyC
07-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Um, where's the "all of the above"?

Talia
07-21-2006, 01:12 AM
Um, where's the "all of the above"?

kelly you can tick as many boxes as you like, so just tick them all

Tish thanks for the survey. going now to take a look

razibahmed
07-21-2006, 02:22 AM
I blog because it is now my career. I have been working as a professional blogger for the last 4 months and now I have two blogs from Know More Media, one of the top blog networks in Internet. I enjoy the topic I write (about South Asian business) as I am from that part of the world.

Arisa81
07-21-2006, 03:09 AM
I blog because I love to write and I like to have a place I can go and express my opinions. I don't do much of the personal stuff, but often whatever I write about is related to something I've heard, read, or seen and it springboards a topic.
I'm very opinionated :P It's nice to have a place to put those thoughts, without annoying people. If people want to read it they can, if not that's fine too.

Insomnicole
07-21-2006, 04:17 AM
I chose "I just like to write" because it's the closest one for me. I also do it for the feeling of community and support. (There are a lot of weight loss bloggers out there!)

KellyC
07-21-2006, 04:44 AM
kelly you can tick as many boxes as you like, so just tick them all

Tish thanks for the survey. going now to take a look

Cool, man. Just learned how to use a mouse. :e2tomato:

bsolah
07-21-2006, 05:45 AM
An interesting survey of why people in the UK blog and why people in the UK read blogs - very different reasons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5197808.stm
That survey seemed to be conducted about MSN spaces, surely not a fair portion of the Blogosphere.

Talia
07-21-2006, 06:24 AM
That survey seemed to be conducted about MSN spaces, surely not a fair portion of the Blogosphere.

I think writers have different reasons for doing blogs. an online diary is probably part of it but i would have thought that passion for writing and desire to sell books figured in there somewhere

Camilla
07-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Yeah, well, I'm the first person ever to use blogs in that way. I invented it. I am clearly a genius. :D

Indeed you are! I was so impressed with the idea that I decided to do the very same thing. So far it's working really well! :tongue

Aside from the above, I also like to blog just because I enjoy writing about stuff that's going on in my life, what I think about it all, etc. I dunno why. Maybe I just like the sound of my own voice? I have to admit though, I'm a much more regular blogger than a journaller, and I suspect that has a lot to do with the community aspect of blogging. "My audience needs me", sorta thing :D

Fahim
07-21-2006, 09:30 AM
I blog because I can :p I started blogging way back when blogging wasn't so cool and Blogger was still something being developed by one guy. I needed a way to publish a daily account of what I was doing with the software project I was involved in at that point in time and being rather lazy, I didn't want to have to write the entries in DreamWeaver and then upload the updated page everyday (in fact, that's how I did the blog at first). I looked at Blogger and used it for a week but wanted more flexibility. So I wrote my own blogging app and started using it. Ever since then, I've been mostly blogging because I have my own blogging app :p I add new features or switch to different blogging platforms and so I keep using my app and testing it out and blogging because I need to test it out ... Oh yeah, I also have this driving need to get things out of my head and on to a web page :)

nancy02664
07-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Mostly for me it's the last two -- "Sell my books and or services" and "Branding/Position myself as an expert." (And, as all this book- and expert-related stuff grew from my love of writing, I had to tick the first choice as well.)

The "branding myself as an expert" thing was most important. Pretty much as soon as I decided I wanted to write a baby name book, I started the--yup, you guessed it--baby name blog.

Once the book comes out, I plan to sell it via the blog--but until then, I'm just trying to build up an audience and start a little controversy. :)

ShapeSphere
07-21-2006, 10:26 AM
I've just started my blog today. Wasn't originally convinced that they were highly useful. If everybody is writing their own blog, that leaves little time to read others. Plus the world was hardly short of valuable literature before the advent of blogs was it?

I think people are skim reading and not digesting the full message on most of the blogs. They're posting replies not out of great interest, but to get a link to their site. I could be wrong. Please show me I am.

Essentially, writing a blog isn't making a lot of money. Directly that is.

My days are already busy enough reading the news and sport; reading novels (never enough time for this); looking for more work; writing; teaching; living.

I voted for "Sell my books and or services". A blog may help in a small way.

However, now that I have posted four short pieces on my blog, it does feel nice to have been creative. It is enjoyable to have written something. Anything.

But, and it would be interesting to hear other opinions regard this, some of my best ideas will not appear on my blog. I want to pitch these to magazines and make some real profit from them.

L M Ashton
07-21-2006, 10:29 AM
So I wrote my own blogging app and started using it.Which, for the record, I'm incredibly grateful he did. Because, of course, that blogging app he wrote is entirely the only reason we ever met, fell in love, and got married. :D Yay for blogging! :D:Hug2::LilLove:

Talia
07-21-2006, 10:52 AM
quid - how do you meet thru a blog??? :p

antony - i know what you mean about wanting to pitch your best ideas. same as that other thread on whether to put your WIP on the blog. one of my books is partly journal and i have been wondering about including that in a blog but then i want to hold onto it and save it for my book LOL

and whoever said opinionated. yes i am nodding my head wildly. lots of things i'd love to have a good rant about. blacklist people who give me bad service hehe. that's the power of blogging...

bsolah
07-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Antony, I often skim read most blogs, but there are that few that catch my eye and I read regularly. And yes, a lot of bloggers only comment to get linked back. It's a sad state of affairs, but if I can like a blog, read regularly and comment regularly, and they do the same, and this happens between a group of bloggers, we create a network. I've done that and it's great.

scottVee
07-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Hi,
For me, the blog is a place I can put little pieces of my work, hoping to entertain. If someone likes that and clicks through to one of my books, that's a good thing. Or folks who already know my work can come to the blog and get new snippets for free.

I also have a blog about the writing life, that constant struggle of getting things done. In that case, it's a combination of "see what it takes" and "you can do it, too."

As a fiction/poetry guy it's a little like selling my expertise at being as Me as I am. ;-)

L M Ashton
07-21-2006, 12:32 PM
quid - how do you meet thru a blog??? :pYou can read the short version (http://www.laurieandfahim.laurieashton.com), or I can tell you the even shorter version. :tongue

The even shorter version is that I, one day, decided to start a blog. Found software that looked like it had the features I wanted, downloaded it, started using it, and had problems. Went to the programmers site, asked for help, got it, and then the programmer started chatting me up. One thing led to another, which led to me hopping on a plane to meeting him a mere two months after I downloaded the software, and we were married 8 hours later. Would've been married sooner, but had to wait for the witnesses to arrive. :D

Seriously, I love any and every opportunity to tell that story. :D Fahim'll back me up on that one. :)

Talia
07-21-2006, 12:44 PM
i am DEFINITELY starting that blog...

NightWynde
07-21-2006, 02:00 PM
I actually started for a few reasons.

It's something I've been meaning to do for a while since it's lower maintenance than a full-blown website and yet it still requires me to pay attention to it without having to spend too much time worrying about graphics, layout, etc.

It's something friends and family have been bugging me to do because they're as weird as I am and actually want to know how my brain works.

It's a way to get my name out and create some sort of branding so if/when I ever have a novel published there will be a place with my name on it already.

I was tired of thinking of stuff and not having a single, focussed place to put it.

It's a great place to put all the "VAPBs" (vicious attack plot bunnies-- ie, plot ideas that won't lead to a cutesie story) that I know I'll never use. So far there are only one of these on my blog, but I've got a few stashed away for whenever I'm blog-blocked.

ChaosTitan
07-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Honestly? I started my blog to get something off my chest. If anyone is curious about it, you can find that rant all the way back in my first blog post. I felt better, but had this little blog thing that needed content. So I started posting random stuff. Movies I'd seen, TV episode reviews, personal observations, work-related rants.

I find my blog quite cathartic. If I have something to say, I can just say it. And once in a while, someone comments on it, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I'm being read! Woohoo! That's the best feeling in the world.

ShapeSphere
07-21-2006, 08:59 PM
TaliaMana - I am sure plenty of other people do the same. They're not telling. Despite blogs getting people to open up, there's still a corner of their soul they hide from us.

Benjamin - I did some blog browsing this evening. Will keep looking around for some regular haunts. Time permitting. By the way, your link banner in your signature line is very professional. Your website is also excellent. Very quick loading and pleasant on the eye.

quidscribis - What a great story. The truth usually has better tales to tell.

NightWynde - I have to ask. "Boomstick Wielder"? This is from Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness? Such a great film.

By the way, all blogs are blocked in China by the Great Firewall. The government unsurprisingly doesn't approve of the freedom of expression. I can access the Blogger dashboard, but when I want to view my blog or any other, have to use a proxy server.

(My posts always sound so serious. I do have a sense of humour. Honestly).

NightWynde
07-21-2006, 09:14 PM
NightWynde - I have to ask. "Boomstick Wielder"? This is from Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness? Such a great film.

Yep. I was wondering when someone would get the reference. :hooray:

Arisa81
07-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Nope, there never does seem to be enough time to read, write and do everything else we need to do. I try to organize myself really, really well.
As I mentioned before I don't use my blog for personal items, I have a real journal for that. For personal things I prefer paper by far.
Someone mentioned ranting, my pieces seem like that sometimes, so I do what I can to edit them so I don't seem....angry :tongue I'd rather come off as if I am making some kind of point and maybe even do it so well, that I convince other people I'm right ;) kidding....well, maybe not so much.

mdin
07-22-2006, 12:28 AM
I blog to pick up chicks.

Talia
07-22-2006, 02:43 AM
I blog to pick up chicks.

apparently a tried and true formula for Fahim :D

L M Ashton
07-22-2006, 05:41 AM
Precisely. :D

bsolah
07-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Benjamin - I did some blog browsing this evening. Will keep looking around for some regular haunts. Time permitting. By the way, your link banner in your signature line is very professional. Your website is also excellent. Very quick loading and pleasant on the eye.

Thank you so much! :D

As chaostitan said, comments make me go warm and fuzzy. The picture from the banner was created from a free stock photo site - sxc.hu - and I added some text. I've made a lot of them and it's a lot of fun.

huntwriter
07-23-2006, 10:35 AM
I like to write, of course, the blog gives me the opportunity to provide my “expetiese” without hidden agenda, political correctness and subliminal advertising that is so common in writing articles for magazines. In my blog I talk as a hunter to other hunters and pass on my knowledge in the hope that others can profit from my success.

It’s for the same reason why I started a website about meat and meat consumption. There is just so much nonsense, misinformation and unfounded health scare hype out there that I felt the need to provide unbiased information from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

The ever-growing visitor numbers on my blog and website are proof to me that I fill an important niche.

briliantdonkey
07-23-2006, 12:57 PM
I started to blog just a few months ago. If you had asked me before that to define a blog, I would have quickly said "diary". Once i realized they were so much more than that I was stunned. I had no ideas there were 2000 blogs on any subject from writing, to farming, to alien scuba diving monkeys if that is what you are interested in. Once I DID decide to do so, I guess my main goal was to give myself some practice writing even though I rarely considered doing any hint of 'serious' writing on it. Then I found AW, and a ton of other blogs through here. That has helped me to come out of my shell a bit. Slowwwwwwwly mind you but I am taking baby steps at least.

MadScientistMatt
07-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Even though I checked "Replaces my newsletter," I didn't actually have a newsletter to replace. But I needed one. I have been working on an automotive project for a long time, and some people on automotive forums occasionally asked me how it was coming along. I normally didn't want to clutter up message boards with little things about connecting a couple of wires or the like, so I started a blog to talk about my progress.

briliantdonkey
07-24-2006, 07:03 AM
btw Quidscribs. That is SUCH a cool story. Good for both of you! Sometimes fact is indeed better than fiction.

INKcogKNEEdough

Fahim
07-24-2006, 07:09 AM
I think this is my queue to jump out of the woodwork and say "Nah, that never happened! She just made it all up!" ... if I was of an evil bent of mind that is ... come to think of it, I am :p

L M Ashton
07-24-2006, 07:42 AM
So, we didn't get married? We're living in sin? Or, worse yet (or maybe better, depending on the perspective(mine :tongue)) you're just a figment of my imagination and not, in actuality, sitting six inches away from me?

I guess that means I can bop you in the head anytime I like and it won't hurt you. Cuz, ya know... :tongue

Talia
07-24-2006, 08:12 AM
btw Quidscribs. That is SUCH a cool story. Good for both of you! Sometimes fact is indeed better than fiction.

INKcogKNEEdough

and stranger... :)