Do you believe in aliens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
The kind from outer space, that is. I want this to be a serious discussion unless you are an alien. If you are an alien then you are exempt from seriousness.

Message to aliens (just in case there really are aliens and they happen to hang out at the cooler):

If you are an alien with access to time warp portals and cool stuff like that and you don't come get me to experience some of this really cool stuff then I swear that when I die and get free from my body, entering into all knowing consciousness -- which will reveal the truth that you've been holding out -- I will haunt your ET azz for all eternity. I will also lurk in and out of your time warps constipating your portals.

One last thing. No brain sucking, human experimentation, Jodie Foster (made you look like a liar) kinda crap either!

Back to humans:

Pardon the massive run on threat sentence above.

So, do you believe in aliens? :D

psy7ven

writerly

Registered
Reaction score
uh, I was going to say yes because otherwise that's a whole lot of wasted space. but then I saw the no JF so now I'm not sure. If I should say that or not.
But yes, it's possible. I love a good conspiracy theory but do I believe they're here on Earth?
No.

Were they here on Earth? Now that, my friends, is an interesting question.

I recently drove through Colorado and New Mexico. Let me tell you, there is some weird stuff in New Mexico.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
The JF thing was still part of my message to aliens. That didn't apply to humans.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I do, yes. Mostly because I read a lot of sci-fi, and I think that it's a bleak universe if we're all that's in it.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, I live in KY. Unfortunately, I live near the meth capital of KY which means all the aliens seen in these parts are due to substance induced psychosis.

Reaction score
It's mathamatically impossible for there not to be life on other planets.

Now, whether little green men have actually visited us in spaceships is a different story.

I hope so.

Blackheart

I believe Jesus was an astronaut who got stuck here like Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes

I believe in an extraterrestrial influence on the development of human culture and civilization.

And I believe billythrilly and his like are the descendents of space barnacles that chipped off the spaceship during its approach to mother earth

Blackheart

Then of course there was Writepro over on Done Deal if you need any further proof

writerly

Registered
Reaction score
billy and WritePro in the same category? :rolleyes: I don't think so.
That's a first.
And who cares anywho, this is AW, darnit!!!

speaking of aliens...

nothing, just thought someone could finish that sentence.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Here's one of my two favorite J M McDermott (me) patented quotes:

"On a large enough time scale all things that are possible are probable. On an infinite timescale all things that are possible are inevitable."

That covers aliens.

The other patented quote appears in one of my early short stories "Abandoned Altar" (which is still in print if you know where to look, and you don't, so don't even try!) and will also appear in my second book.

So you'll have to read #2 to find that one.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
Now, whether little green men have actually visited us in spaceships is a different story.

I hope so.

We'd be more likely visited by some artificial creature (like a probe) that could survive than an actual Extraterrestrial Biological Entity (pulling out the Art Bell words), unless there's some other method of space travel besides the conventional method that would be equivalent to Scotty's transporter but can travel the length of the galaxy.

Generally speaking, yes, I do believe in life on other worlds.

Have we ever been contacted? Perhaps. There's a lot of unexplained events out there like the infamous WOW signal.

Have we been visited? Maybe by something. Maybe not in UFOs. Maybe psychically (is that even a proper adverb? :Huh: ) Who knows? But I'd like to think so...about being visited...not the adverb part...

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alnitak-z-orionis.com
Of course, I believe that aliens exist. I read lots of SF, and I write SF.

The massive UFO sightings, though, I think most of those are local, the ones that aren't hoax. I mean, it seems like various governments are testing secret air crafts and spying on each others military bases.

The older UFO's, the ones that appear in ancient paintings, must be extra terrestrial origin. Unless some humans escaped the Atlantis catastrophe and fled in space ships to other worlds and now come to check us out.

Whatever the case, I really wish they would come out of the closet and reveal themselves.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
speaking of aliens...anyone have teenagers?
kidding. i love my teens and they love me.

i believe there could be life on other planets. hope there is. intelligently developed life? (as in par to humans or beyond) hmmm, a possibility but maybe it's my ego that says no way. have alien lifeforms ever stopped by our earth? hard for me to fathom. are there currently aliens exploring the milky way, thus explaining ufo's? you'd have a hard time convincing me.

on the other hand i do believe in life after death..so who knows what form that will take, and who are angels and do they have bodily forms when they're not surprising the hell out of humans? if so where do they reside? etc etc.
what i'm saying is anything is possible.
and it makes me feel a little odd thinking about it beyond spinning a far-fetched tale.
i'm pretty content not understanding anything much about the spiritual world and believing that earth holds the highest developed physical lifeforms in the universe.
why, i don't know, but that's my comfort zone.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. It would be arrogant of us to believe we are the only intelligent(um sometimes debatable) life in the universe. However, I think all that alien abduction and anal probe stuff is a symptom of delusional attention-getters.

(unless any of you have been abducted by aliens and had things stuck up your butt, in which case...that really sucks)

Blackheart

writerly said:
billy and WritePro in the same category? :rolleyes: I don't think so.
That's a first.
And who cares anywho, this is AW, darnit!!!

speaking of aliens...

nothing, just thought someone could finish that sentence.

WritePro had a floating door mat above the orbit of Alpha Centari. I saw a picture

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Look to the skies, you fools!

Anyone who has been rectally probed with cold metallic instruments made from an element not of this world, knows the truth. Mmm.

I subscribe to the "bad timing" theory.

Our species has only existed for a nanosecond of universe-relative time.

Perhaps other species have existed before us and will exist after us.

But the mathematical probability of two species from different worlds existing and evolving intelligence and actually meeting during the same nanosecond of relative time... man, that's an awful lot of zeroes after the decimal point.

For that matter would we even recognize intelligent life from another world if it was right there, right in front of us, trying to get noticed?

And would we even want to meet aliens anyway, since it's unlikely that they could ever have developed space travel technology without going the same route as we did. Our rocket tech, and most other technical innovations you use every day, are a direct result of radical weapons development made necessary by global conflict that very nearly snuffed us out. When the flying saucer lands and the airlock hatch hisses open, you're not going to see some smiling pacifist ambassador from Rigel VII offering peace and friendship across the interstellar void just because his race thought this might be a nice idea. He'll be a military scout, armed to the teeth (or more likely, fangs) with a whole range of viral and nuclear weapons to test on us before the main fleet arrives.

Look to the skies! Lock your windows and doors! Ready your weapons! They're coming! Oh, in about forty-six billion years, maybe. Or it could be two hundred and seventeen. Or sooner. Or longer. Depends when their proto-amoeba building blocks form in a rancid droplet of acid rain on some planet on the other side of the cosmos that we'll never even know existed.

-Derek
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.
Take the critiques you get with a grain of salt. Invariably, some of the critics will be kooks, bitter curmudgeons, or complete fools. ~odocoileus

Blackheart

dpaterso said:
For that matter would we even recognize intelligent life from another world if it was right there, right in front of us, trying to get noticed?

billy isn't all that intelligent

Pennywise

Registered
Reaction score
I believe in aliens. I mean, how could you not? Given the size of the universe (which we still havent properly discovered), there has to be some form of life out there. Whether its intelligent civilizations or simple insect life, theres just got to be something.

Also, I dont really think the existance of aliens would beneifit earth. Just sit and think for 2 minutes what the actual reaction of the planet would be. Fear, distrust, contempt maybe? Life as we know would be thrown onto chaos.

but bring it on, I say :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I didn't understand the Jody Foster reference.

I believe there is probably life on other planets.

Do I believe that the technology exists anywhere for them to come flying to Earth? Not really.

Do I think that if the technology did exist that aliens would waste their PTO time to fly to a piece of crap planet like Earth just to observe us when there are so many more other interesting planets out there? Would I waste my vacation time going to Newark, NJ instead of Monte Carlo? Heck no.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I didn't understand the Jody Foster reference.

I believe there is probably life on other planets.

Do I believe that the technology exists anywhere for them to come flying to Earth? Not really.

Do I think that if the technology did exist that aliens would waste their PTO time to fly to a piece of crap planet like Earth just to observe us when there are so many more other interesting planets out there? Would I waste my vacation time going to Newark, NJ instead of Monte Carlo? Heck no.

But think about it. Many humans spend their vacations...and lives going into inhospitable places to study different forms of life...why would aliens be any different?

WELL...I mean that a race intellegent enough to develop any kind of technology, would have to possess curiosity, and curiosity leads to voyages of discovery.
Unfortunately there are pressures- desperation for one- that could push an uncurious intellegent race to go out to discover new worlds...population pressure and catastrophic climate change.
I'd rather the curious aliens than the desperate ones.

And who's to say that the aliens are not already here. Perhaps they are amorphous entities thet can travel between the known dimensions and seek residence in our bodies,...pushing out the conscious soul that already exists.
Maybe that's what happened to T.C.!!!!
I'm sure that if Howard Phillips Lovecraft were here right now, he'd agree with me..( Then immediately drink a bottle of opiated water to try to forget that he agreed...)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Other than perhaps bacteria, I do not believe in any advanced extraterrestrial life forms.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe in the possibility that something else is out there. Whether that something else has contacted us, no clue. But to discount the possibility of life in a universe that, as far as is known, is "infinite," seems silly...

Status
Not open for further replies.