PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in aliens?

Gehanna
07-20-2006, 05:12 AM
The kind from outer space, that is. I want this to be a serious discussion unless you are an alien. If you are an alien then you are exempt from seriousness.

Message to aliens (just in case there really are aliens and they happen to hang out at the cooler):

If you are an alien with access to time warp portals and cool stuff like that and you don't come get me to experience some of this really cool stuff then I swear that when I die and get free from my body, entering into all knowing consciousness -- which will reveal the truth that you've been holding out -- I will haunt your ET azz for all eternity. I will also lurk in and out of your time warps constipating your portals.

One last thing. No brain sucking, human experimentation, Jodie Foster (made you look like a liar) kinda crap either!

Back to humans:

Pardon the massive run on threat sentence above.

So, do you believe in aliens? :D

psy7ven

writerly
07-20-2006, 05:15 AM
uh, I was going to say yes because otherwise that's a whole lot of wasted space. but then I saw the no JF so now I'm not sure. If I should say that or not.
But yes, it's possible. I love a good conspiracy theory but do I believe they're here on Earth?
No.

Were they here on Earth? Now that, my friends, is an interesting question.

I recently drove through Colorado and New Mexico. Let me tell you, there is some weird stuff in New Mexico.

Gehanna
07-20-2006, 05:19 AM
The JF thing was still part of my message to aliens. That didn't apply to humans.

writerly
07-20-2006, 05:20 AM
ahhhh, gotcha.

so aliens out there, you live in NM or what?

PeeDee
07-20-2006, 05:21 AM
I do, yes. Mostly because I read a lot of sci-fi, and I think that it's a bleak universe if we're all that's in it.

Gehanna
07-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Nah, I live in KY. Unfortunately, I live near the meth capital of KY which means all the aliens seen in these parts are due to substance induced psychosis.

billythrilly7th
07-20-2006, 06:06 AM
It's mathamatically impossible for there not to be life on other planets.

Now, whether little green men have actually visited us in spaceships is a different story.

I hope so.

Blackheart
07-20-2006, 06:20 AM
I believe Jesus was an astronaut who got stuck here like Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes

I believe in an extraterrestrial influence on the development of human culture and civilization.

And I believe billythrilly and his like are the descendents of space barnacles that chipped off the spaceship during its approach to mother earth

Blackheart
07-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Then of course there was Writepro over on Done Deal if you need any further proof

writerly
07-20-2006, 09:25 AM
billy and WritePro in the same category? :rolleyes: I don't think so.
That's a first.
And who cares anywho, this is AW, darnit!!!

speaking of aliens...

nothing, just thought someone could finish that sentence.

badducky
07-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Here's one of my two favorite J M McDermott (me) patented quotes:

"On a large enough time scale all things that are possible are probable. On an infinite timescale all things that are possible are inevitable."

That covers aliens.

The other patented quote appears in one of my early short stories "Abandoned Altar" (which is still in print if you know where to look, and you don't, so don't even try!) and will also appear in my second book.

So you'll have to read #2 to find that one.

AdamH
07-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Now, whether little green men have actually visited us in spaceships is a different story.

I hope so.

We'd be more likely visited by some artificial creature (like a probe) that could survive than an actual Extraterrestrial Biological Entity (pulling out the Art Bell words), unless there's some other method of space travel besides the conventional method that would be equivalent to Scotty's transporter but can travel the length of the galaxy.

Generally speaking, yes, I do believe in life on other worlds.

Have we ever been contacted? Perhaps. There's a lot of unexplained events out there like the infamous WOW signal (http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=318).

Have we been visited? Maybe by something. Maybe not in UFOs. Maybe psychically (is that even a proper adverb? :Huh: ) Who knows? But I'd like to think so...about being visited...not the adverb part...

Anya Smith
07-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Of course, I believe that aliens exist. I read lots of SF, and I write SF.

The massive UFO sightings, though, I think most of those are local, the ones that aren't hoax. I mean, it seems like various governments are testing secret air crafts and spying on each others military bases.

The older UFO's, the ones that appear in ancient paintings, must be extra terrestrial origin. Unless some humans escaped the Atlantis catastrophe and fled in space ships to other worlds and now come to check us out.

Whatever the case, I really wish they would come out of the closet and reveal themselves.

P.H.Delarran
07-20-2006, 09:43 AM
speaking of aliens...anyone have teenagers?
kidding. i love my teens and they love me.

i believe there could be life on other planets. hope there is. intelligently developed life? (as in par to humans or beyond) hmmm, a possibility but maybe it's my ego that says no way. have alien lifeforms ever stopped by our earth? hard for me to fathom. are there currently aliens exploring the milky way, thus explaining ufo's? you'd have a hard time convincing me.

on the other hand i do believe in life after death..so who knows what form that will take, and who are angels and do they have bodily forms when they're not surprising the hell out of humans? if so where do they reside? etc etc.
what i'm saying is anything is possible.
and it makes me feel a little odd thinking about it beyond spinning a far-fetched tale.
i'm pretty content not understanding anything much about the spiritual world and believing that earth holds the highest developed physical lifeforms in the universe.
why, i don't know, but that's my comfort zone.

Elizabeth Slick
07-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Of course. They are among us, visit, study and research us. It's no question to me if they exist. Yes.

aadams73
07-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Yes. It would be arrogant of us to believe we are the only intelligent(um sometimes debatable) life in the universe. However, I think all that alien abduction and anal probe stuff is a symptom of delusional attention-getters.

(unless any of you have been abducted by aliens and had things stuck up your butt, in which case...that really sucks)

Blackheart
07-20-2006, 01:26 PM
billy and WritePro in the same category? :rolleyes: I don't think so.
That's a first.
And who cares anywho, this is AW, darnit!!!

speaking of aliens...

nothing, just thought someone could finish that sentence.

WritePro had a floating door mat above the orbit of Alpha Centari. I saw a picture

dpaterso
07-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Anyone who has been rectally probed with cold metallic instruments made from an element not of this world, knows the truth. Mmm.

I subscribe to the "bad timing" theory.

Our species has only existed for a nanosecond of universe-relative time.

Perhaps other species have existed before us and will exist after us.

But the mathematical probability of two species from different worlds existing and evolving intelligence and actually meeting during the same nanosecond of relative time... man, that's an awful lot of zeroes after the decimal point.

For that matter would we even recognize intelligent life from another world if it was right there, right in front of us, trying to get noticed?

And would we even want to meet aliens anyway, since it's unlikely that they could ever have developed space travel technology without going the same route as we did. Our rocket tech, and most other technical innovations you use every day, are a direct result of radical weapons development made necessary by global conflict that very nearly snuffed us out. When the flying saucer lands and the airlock hatch hisses open, you're not going to see some smiling pacifist ambassador from Rigel VII offering peace and friendship across the interstellar void just because his race thought this might be a nice idea. He'll be a military scout, armed to the teeth (or more likely, fangs) with a whole range of viral and nuclear weapons to test on us before the main fleet arrives.

Look to the skies! Lock your windows and doors! Ready your weapons! They're coming! Oh, in about forty-six billion years, maybe. Or it could be two hundred and seventeen. Or sooner. Or longer. Depends when their proto-amoeba building blocks form in a rancid droplet of acid rain on some planet on the other side of the cosmos that we'll never even know existed.

-Derek
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies. (http://hometown.aol.co.uk/DPaterson57)
Take the critiques you get with a grain of salt. Invariably, some of the critics will be kooks, bitter curmudgeons, or complete fools. ~odocoileus

Blackheart
07-20-2006, 02:44 PM
For that matter would we even recognize intelligent life from another world if it was right there, right in front of us, trying to get noticed?

billy isn't all that intelligent

Pennywise
07-20-2006, 03:10 PM
I believe in aliens. I mean, how could you not? Given the size of the universe (which we still havent properly discovered), there has to be some form of life out there. Whether its intelligent civilizations or simple insect life, theres just got to be something.

Also, I dont really think the existance of aliens would beneifit earth. Just sit and think for 2 minutes what the actual reaction of the planet would be. Fear, distrust, contempt maybe? Life as we know would be thrown onto chaos.

but bring it on, I say :)

Inkdaub
07-20-2006, 03:46 PM
I find it impossible to not believe in aliens. The movie Contact(book by Sagan) is one of my favorites and is closest to the situation of the universe as I see it.

Shadow_Ferret
07-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I didn't understand the Jody Foster reference.

I believe there is probably life on other planets.

Do I believe that the technology exists anywhere for them to come flying to Earth? Not really.

Do I think that if the technology did exist that aliens would waste their PTO time to fly to a piece of crap planet like Earth just to observe us when there are so many more other interesting planets out there? Would I waste my vacation time going to Newark, NJ instead of Monte Carlo? Heck no.

Jaycinth
07-20-2006, 05:59 PM
I didn't understand the Jody Foster reference.

I believe there is probably life on other planets.

Do I believe that the technology exists anywhere for them to come flying to Earth? Not really.

Do I think that if the technology did exist that aliens would waste their PTO time to fly to a piece of crap planet like Earth just to observe us when there are so many more other interesting planets out there? Would I waste my vacation time going to Newark, NJ instead of Monte Carlo? Heck no.

But think about it. Many humans spend their vacations...and lives going into inhospitable places to study different forms of life...why would aliens be any different?

WELL...I mean that a race intellegent enough to develop any kind of technology, would have to possess curiosity, and curiosity leads to voyages of discovery.
Unfortunately there are pressures- desperation for one- that could push an uncurious intellegent race to go out to discover new worlds...population pressure and catastrophic climate change.
I'd rather the curious aliens than the desperate ones.

And who's to say that the aliens are not already here. Perhaps they are amorphous entities thet can travel between the known dimensions and seek residence in our bodies,...pushing out the conscious soul that already exists.
Maybe that's what happened to T.C.!!!!
I'm sure that if Howard Phillips Lovecraft were here right now, he'd agree with me..( Then immediately drink a bottle of opiated water to try to forget that he agreed...)

Gehanna
07-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Other than perhaps bacteria, I do not believe in any advanced extraterrestrial life forms.

Jcomp
07-20-2006, 06:09 PM
I believe in the possibility that something else is out there. Whether that something else has contacted us, no clue. But to discount the possibility of life in a universe that, as far as is known, is "infinite," seems silly...

Shadow_Ferret
07-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Other than perhaps bacteria, I do not believe in any advanced extraterrestrial life forms.
How dare you start a thread you don't believe in! :tongue

JC, my point is, if they are intelligent enough to have technology we can't even dream of, why would they come here other than out of morbid curiosity to see what kind of roobs thought "I Love Lucy" was funny.

Yes, they've probably come here to study us as we would other lower, disgusting, lifeforms, but once they realized we weren't evolving and had reached the end of our intellectual growth, I think they would have gotten bored and left.

Now they're studying some bacterium in the swamp scum of Alpha Centauri's 4th planet. At least that's showing some signs of evolutionary progress.

Cthulhu
07-20-2006, 06:14 PM
As people have said, the universe it way too big NOT to have more lifeforms.

Also as people have said, to consider ourselves the only intelligent life in the entire universe is incredibly arrogant. Not only that, but it makes the human race feel like a lonely form of life.

Roger J Carlson
07-20-2006, 06:15 PM
If by aliens you mean intelligent, sentient life out in the universe somewhere, sometime, then yes.

If you mean aliens that have landed on Earth, no. There is no compelling evidence for alien visitation of Earth.

Jaycinth
07-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Maybe they came to study the fungus as some kind of graduate student project thingie and they stayed because of he beer!! Maybe Earth is the 'Marrakesh' or 'Amsterdam' of the galaxy and the aliens come here to slum and eat at Mc Donalds. I mean, look at some of the people in Mc Donalds....they eat the food like it is some kind of delicacy! A real human wouldn't be that enthusiastic.

And what about Iron City Beer???? They sell a lot but I've never seen a human drink it!!!

Shadow_Ferret
07-20-2006, 06:21 PM
:Wha:

Wait.

McDonald's isn't a delicacy?

*reports in*

Gehanna
07-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Just because I do not believe that does not mean I am arrogant Cthulhu. It just mean that I am not yet convinced.

Roger J Carlson
07-20-2006, 06:26 PM
I should also add that while there is a mathematical probability of other life in the universe, there is no compelling evidence for that either.

Cthulhu
07-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Oh, no, I didn't mean that you personally were arrogant, I just said that to completely disregard the notion would be arrogant as a general statement about any given person.

There's a different between not believing that there are aliens, believing that there aren't aliens, and adamantly stating that aliens do not exist.

The third would be the only one I would consider arrogant.

Gehanna
07-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Understood :)

Thank you for taking the time to clarify. I really appreciate that Cthulhu.

I do still have to disagree tho that adamantly stating aliens do not exist is arrogant. While I can see your point, I would tend to think of people like that as being ignorant of possibility more so than arrogant.

Then again, I am a bit of a humanist which makes it a bit more difficult for me to come right out and accuse someone of being an arrogant azzhole, even if they really are. LOL :D

davids
07-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Yes-I married a monster from outer space after all

maestrowork
07-20-2006, 07:09 PM
JC, my point is, if they are intelligent enough to have technology we can't even dream of, why would they come here other than out of morbid curiosity to see what kind of roobs thought "I Love Lucy" was funny.

Same reasons why we study and do experiments on microbes and other lifeforms on Earth.

Same reasons why we go to the Moon and Mars, and whatever. If humans have the technologies to find and visit another world with lifeforms, do you think for a second that we won't do it?

With billions of galaxies and stars out there, the existence of super intelligent lifeforms elsewhere in the universe is more than certain. The question is, do they have the technologies to travel to us? While I have never seen enough evidence to support that theory, I for one am not going to dispel any possibility.

BTW, an acquaintance of mine is actually quite famous in the "alien abduction" circuit. He has appeared on TV and in documentaries. He claimed to have been abducted since the age of 6 numerous times and have fathered alien babies. He doesn't remember any of that unless he's under hypnosis. He also had an alien material (a small triangle) embedded in his shin. They took it out and so far, authorities have not been able to identify that material or determined how it got inside his body. I do not know if I believe him, but his case is quite well documented.

maestrowork
07-20-2006, 07:31 PM
IDo I think that if the technology did exist that aliens would waste their PTO time to fly to a piece of crap planet like Earth just to observe us when there are so many more other interesting planets out there? Would I waste my vacation time going to Newark, NJ instead of Monte Carlo? Heck no.

Those are scientists, not vacationers, and you bet scientists would travel to the most ungodly places to study and do experiments. As to how they travel -- I really don't think they would "fly" all that distance. If anything, there would certainly be some kind of Contact-like wormhole technology that makes intergalactic travel possible. I think it's rather silly to base our prejudice on how we understand human technologies and motives.

Shadow_Ferret
07-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Scientists will go anywhere and study anything. Any aliens visiting our planet are the geeks of the universe with pocket protectors and tape holding their multi-lensed glasses together and they snort when they laugh after telling nerdy jokes about carbon-based lifeforms.

Don't associate with them or you'll be viewed as a nerd, too.

But as far as aliens of significance, they wouldn't be caught dead coming to Earth. There are far cooler planets to visit to be part of the "In Crowd."

I stick by my Newark vs. Monte Carlo analogy.

Jaycinth
07-20-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm getting my towel and sticking out my thumb. I haven't seen any dolphins this year.........

MidnightMuse
07-20-2006, 08:35 PM
If you were approaching a planet that is 3/4 water, would you assume the real intelligent life was land-based?

ChunkyC
07-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Yes, I believe there are aliens out there somewhere.

Consider how large the universe is, even with the margin of error of our limited knowledge. It is anywhere from ten to fifteen billion light years across. Stated another way, it would take a photon of light ten to fifteen billion years to cross the universe.

In a straight line.

But the universe is not flat like a plate, it's more of a blob. So, imagine the volume of a rough sphere ten billion light years in diameter.

Light travels at 186,000 miles per second in a vacuum. 186,000 miles times however many seconds there are in a year times ten billion times the formula to determine the volume of a sphere ... you get the idea. The universe is almost incomprehensibly HUGE.

The Earth is a sphere eight thousand miles in diameter. A photon of light takes about 1/23 of a second to travel that distance. To think that out of the entire universe, the only place where intelligent life exists is on this tiny ball of mud is ludicrous.

With that said, the very vastness of the universe makes the odds of running into an extraterrestrial intelligence equally vast. As mentioned above, not only would the distances have to be overcome, but the timing as well. If the universe is ten billion years across, it's also ten billion years old. We've only been doing things another techologically advanced race might be able to detect for about a century. Even if we continue to do so for another ten thousand years, that's a blink of the eye in the timescale of the universe. The odds of another intelligence reaching the proper level of technology and looking our way at this precise moment in time are ... well ... astronomical.

But none of that means it's impossible.

Keep looking up. :)

maestrowork
07-20-2006, 08:44 PM
That's only if you consider time and space are linear.

Jcomp
07-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Scientists will go anywhere and study anything. Any aliens visiting our planet are the geeks of the universe with pocket protectors and tape holding their multi-lensed glasses together and they snort when they laugh after telling nerdy jokes about carbon-based lifeforms.

Don't associate with them or you'll be viewed as a nerd, too.

But as far as aliens of significance, they wouldn't be caught dead coming to Earth. There are far cooler planets to visit to be part of the "In Crowd."

I stick by my Newark vs. Monte Carlo analogy.

Maybe in alien culture the cool kids held in high esteem by the populace are also the geeks who get good grades & grow up to be the cool scientists that are revered as heroes. Like japan or something...

Shadow_Ferret
07-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Maybe in alien culture the cool kids held in high esteem by the populace are also the geeks who get good grades & grow up to be the cool scientists that are revered as heroes. Like japan or something...

That might be true, but even among revered scientists, the real nerdy ones would still be the ones that found Earth interesting.

Jcomp
07-20-2006, 08:52 PM
That might be true, but even among revered scientists, the real nerdy ones would still be the ones that found Earth interesting.

Well if that's the case, when they arrive, it won't be so much of a threat of alien invasion as much as it would be an opportunity to give them swirlies & make them do our homework & take their alien lunch money. I might be okay with that...

maestrowork
07-20-2006, 08:52 PM
They'd most likely find Earthlings disgusting. Kind of like seeing cockroaches.

ChunkyC
07-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Like the aliens in Galaxy Quest?

"We've been studying your historical documents...." :roll: LOVE that movie!

MidnightMuse
07-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Like the aliens in Galaxy Quest?

"We've been studying your historical documents...." :roll: LOVE that movie!

Never give up! Never surrender!

Jcomp
07-20-2006, 08:58 PM

Or maybe we'd be cute, like koala bears...

ChunkyC
07-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Or maybe we'd be cute, like koala bears...
Man, I hope so. Then again, maybe they'd be like some humans are with pets and dress us up in bizarre outfits and carry us around when they go shopping.

maestrowork
07-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Man, I hope so. Then again, maybe they'd be like some humans are with pets and dress us up in bizarre outfits and carry us around when they go shopping.

Kinda like what wives do to their husbands.

Elizabeth Slick
07-20-2006, 09:16 PM
OMG how DID you know? Are you an alien ?

Shadow_Ferret
07-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Exactly. They are studying us to see if we're going to spread and they want to be ready in case they find us swarming in their pantries eating their sugar and "Quisp" cereal.

Jcomp
07-20-2006, 09:26 PM
OMG how DID you know? Are you an alien ?

I think the real question is... are wives (and girlfriends, for that matter) aliens. It would explain a lot, I think

Elizabeth Slick
07-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Mystery solved. Darn, I didn't think anyone was on to us!

Jaycinth
07-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Exactly. They are studying us to see if we're going to spread and they want to be ready in case they find us swarming in their pantries eating their sugar and "Quisp" cereal.

I've crawled through quite a few pantries and several grocery store chains and I haven't been able to find a box of 'Quisp' for over 2 years now.

If they want to study me, then by crackie.....I BEST HAVE MY QUISP!!!!

Jcomp
07-20-2006, 10:02 PM
I just got struck with the image that, perhaps, our first "contact" with an alien species could be the discovery of a long, long, looonnnng dead, once highly-advanced civilization. OOoohhh, that's creepy...

Shadow_Ferret
07-20-2006, 10:05 PM
OK, Erich Von Daniken.

And the reason there is no Quisp any more is the aliens took it all.

Roger J Carlson
07-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Exactly. They are studying us to see if we're going to spread and they want to be ready in case they find us swarming in their pantries eating their sugar and "Quisp" cereal.Geeze that takes me back. I liked "Quake" cereal better. I remember when they both first came out, they raced from Lubbock to Lompoc. (Showing my age.)

Shadow_Ferret
07-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Quisp was a little alien. What was Quake again? My sometimers is acting up.

eta: OK, wow. I really don't remember Quake. I must be blocking.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0e/Quispquake.jpg

jbal
07-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Anyone heard of the Hudson Valley UFO sightings? These went on for years and were well documented with thousands of eyewitnesses, and of course very few photos that don't look like indecipherable blobs. I wasn't sure if this case was ever debunked, and this thread seems like a good place to ask.
oh, and I do believe in aliens.

Jaycinth
07-20-2006, 10:31 PM
I just got struck with the image that, perhaps, our first "contact" with an alien species could be the discovery of a long, long, looonnnng dead, once highly-advanced civilization. OOoohhh, that's creepy...

What's creepy about that? I go over to my Sister-in Law's house all the time.....

Cthulhu
07-20-2006, 10:33 PM
I have Quisp in my house from time to time. It's great! I have no idea where my mom buys it, but I really don't care...she probably is in cahoots with the aliens.

Shadow_Ferret
07-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Anyone heard of the Hudson Valley UFO sightings? These went on for years and were well documented with thousands of eyewitnesses, and of course very few photos that don't look like indecipherable blobs. I wasn't sure if this case was ever debunked, and this thread seems like a good place to ask.
oh, and I do believe in aliens.

See? Now I don't get that. Thousands of eyewitnesses and not one can use a camera properly? These are the kinds of things that make me question the existence of, well, anything not of the natural proven order of our existence.

Jcomp
07-20-2006, 11:28 PM
See? Now I don't get that. Thousands of eyewitnesses and not one can use a camera properly? These are the kinds of things that make me question the existence of, well, anything not of the natural proven order of our existence.

Well, in all fairness, if I was your everyday, good looking citizen (which I just so happen to be) and I saw a UFO in the sky, I'd be shaking like MC Hammer on crack. It amazes me that these people can even think to grab a camera, much less focus it onto something. That's actually what makes me think it's a hoax, but then again it could just be the practical coward in me. Alien vessel does not equal "photo op" in my book. It equals screaming and running and hiding behind the elderly...

aka eraser
07-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Only if they believe in me.

pconsidine
07-21-2006, 01:16 AM
For what it's worth, it is not at all a mathematical certainty, nor any other kind, that there is other intelligent life in the universe. Yes, it's certainly more likely that there is than that there isn't, but it's by no means a sure thing.

In fact, considering how incredibly improbable our own existence is, one might even say that would be rather rare to find other intelligent life in the universe.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

billythrilly7th
07-21-2006, 01:37 AM
I saw a UFO in summer camp back in '79 or so. I did.

And it is a mathamatical certainty that there is LIFE. Not necessarily intelligent life. I wouldn't even put us in that column so far.

But there is life out there.

It's a certainty.

pconsidine
07-21-2006, 01:39 AM
Nothing is certain, billy. The odds against it might be vanishingly small, but they're there.

Though I'm not all together certain what difference it makes either way. Are people hoping that someone will come down and throw us an extraterrestrial life preserver? Or is it just that it feels better to think there's some other world out there as screwed up as ours is?

billythrilly7th
07-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Didn't you see Contact, sir?

All of your questions are addressed.

writerly
07-21-2006, 02:16 AM
Nothing is certain, billy.

Even that statement?

aha! gotcha.

You fell into a logical fallacy, my friend.

CONTACT, in my book, probably in my top 5.

Thrillster, we've been missing u over there in Dodge City...

billythrilly7th
07-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Thrillster, we've been missing u over there in Dodge City...

Thank you. Miss you too.

Feel free to visit here more often. Dodge City reminds of the Titanic sitting on the bottom of the ocean with ghosts of passengers still milling around it, not even realizing they've been dead for years.

Head for the light, writerly. All is well in the light.

Clary is here also.

:)

ChunkyC
07-21-2006, 02:22 AM
Or is it just that it feels better to think there's some other world out there as screwed up as ours is?
Talk about vanishingly small odds.... ;)

No, those of us who believe there are aliens out there just want to be able to point to the proof and say, "TOLD YOU SO!"

billythrilly7th
07-21-2006, 02:26 AM
If Aliens offered you a tour of the universe, but you'd have to leave earth forever, would you do it?

Thank you.

Melisande
07-21-2006, 02:32 AM
I believe that there is life, even intelligent life, elsewhere in the Universe. I have a hard time believing that Planet Earth has been visited by aliens, though. But it is an interesting thought that they might have... Though I don't believe in the Daniken version of it all.

PS. For all of you who loved the movie Contact, pick up the book and read it. It's far better than the movie.

ChunkyC
07-21-2006, 03:00 AM
If Aliens offered you a tour of the universe, but you'd have to leave earth forever, would you do it?
If I could take my wife with me ... yes.

billythrilly7th
07-21-2006, 03:03 AM
If I could take my wife with me ... yes.

Most people would say "If I could leave my wife behind...yes."

Congrats on a happy marriage!

MattW
07-21-2006, 03:48 AM
I have a special pair of sunglasses that lets me see the aliens on Earth.

FYI - I can't watch CNN anymore.

jbal
07-21-2006, 04:07 AM

FYI - I can't watch CNN anymore.
Rowdy Roddy Piper? Is that you?

writerly
07-21-2006, 04:07 AM

THEY LIVE, very scary underrated flick.

thanks thrilly.:Sun: here, there: :scared: :crazy:
and Titanic: :e2steer: .

And I probably would if I could take a few people too.

Roger J Carlson
07-21-2006, 04:57 AM
I saw a UFO in summer camp back in '79 or so. I did.

And it is a mathamatical certainty that there is LIFE. Not necessarily intelligent life. I wouldn't even put us in that column so far.

But there is life out there.

It's a certainty.It's only an certainty when it is actually discovered. Until then, it's a probability.

Scroderinger's cat, where are you?

billythrilly7th
07-21-2006, 05:02 AM
It's a certainty.

This picture was taken just the other day in Seattle.

http://www.hufos.net/images/maybe_a_fake_ufo.jpg

Roger J Carlson
07-21-2006, 05:06 AM
It's a certainty.

This picture was taken just the other day in Seattle.

An obvious forgery. Houses in Seattle don't look like that. And there isn't a single Starbucks in the picture.

billythrilly7th
07-21-2006, 05:07 AM
An obvious forgery. Houses in Seattle don't look like that. And there isn't a single Starbucks in the picture.

You got me.