PDA

View Full Version : Not in the mood?

veinglory
07-20-2006, 03:05 AM
Hell. I am stalled on my novella because it's time for the big sex scene and I feel 'blah'.

Every get out of the mood? Maybe I need to go and write something else for a while. I've burned out my smut neuron.

Popeyesays
07-20-2006, 03:49 AM
Hell. I am stalled on my novella because it's time for the big sex scene and I feel 'blah'.

Every get out of the mood? Maybe I need to go and write something else for a while. I've burned out my smut neuron.

Now you've done it! I am going to have this vision of a pink bunny with phallic ears marching around banging on a drum, while a narrator speaks of the "Smutergizer Bunny".

I feel like Oedipus just before he put out his own eyes.

Regards,
Scott:wag:

Lee_OC
07-20-2006, 04:31 AM
Maybe you got it from me. I've been feeling so BLAH about sex writing lately.

I'm taking a break and working on nonfiction. It's the only way I know how to recharge.

veinglory
07-20-2006, 04:39 AM
Meh, and my saucy DVDs are all UK zone (and I'm in the States)

...that should be a line in 'Isn't it Ironic'.

JanDarby
07-20-2006, 07:45 AM
You're not alone.

I wonder if it's the whole Mercury in retrograde thing. Anyone know if that affects hormones too? I mean, I'm really not a believer in astrology, but I've gotta say there've been a lot of mechanical glitches recently, of the sort blamed on Mercury in retrograde, and they all started happening after I heard about Mercury going into retrograde. And writers who believe in that stuff are saying it also affects creativity, especially of the first-draft sort.

But, yeah, I so feel (or, in this case, don't feel) what you're going through. I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while, every time I think about writing a major sex scene, and just can't get into it.

At the moment, I'm doing second-draft edits, which doesn't require a whole heck of a lot of passion, just a bit of boring persistence. If you've got a project in that stage, maybe working on it would help get you past this phase.

And if it IS the effect of Mercury in Retrograde, that's supposed to end somewhere around the end of the month, so relief is in sight.

JD

Quiller
07-20-2006, 06:08 PM
What I did was just insert eager Point A into eager Slot B and watch the reactions of the characters. Also, I always made the gender character opposite my intended reader insatiable. Nice fantasy, an insatiable lover.

Lee_OC
07-20-2006, 08:14 PM
I'll go w/ the Mercury/retrograde theory. I'm not into astrology, but there has to be some explanation. I'm just not feeling *it*

veinglory
07-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Would that explain why my Mercury Mystique keeps breaking down this month too? ;)

JanDarby
07-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Works for me.

The Mercury explanation, I mean, not anything else, like actually writing or cars or stuff.

Let's hope we all get huge bursts of inspiration the end of next week when Mercury gets the hell out of retrograde, wherever that is.

JD

JulesJones
07-23-2006, 01:07 AM
Veinglory, if you're looking for something to spend your next royalty cheque on, I can recommend a particular model of DVD player for which I have the "switch off region coding" sequence. And it's dual voltage, and talks to both PAL and NTSC tvs. :-) Plays my UK DVDs very well, and I'll be able to take it with me should we return to sunny England.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B0000A0AJH/

veinglory
07-23-2006, 01:35 AM
As soon as my next checque come sin I shall do just that--thanks for the link!

Lee_OC
07-24-2006, 01:22 AM
Still not in the mood...I'm working on other things, but I can't get into the erotica mood.

I think it is Mercury in retrograde. That explains it!

veinglory
07-24-2006, 01:27 AM
"come sin"
do you suppose that's a Freudian slip?

Lee_OC
07-24-2006, 01:32 AM
HAH! I didn't even notice that the first time. I just thought that's what you meant. ;)

James Buchanan
07-25-2006, 06:02 AM
The heat is just killing the mood. At 9am it was close to 80f already. Was out by the splash pool at 6, and sitting in my chair watching the spawn, sweat was running down my back.

I did write a nice bit about wading in the ocean... but no sex.

veinglory
07-25-2006, 06:08 AM
Giffen is in a Cybercafe thinking about starting smoking again (cigarettes that is, not in bed). The whole story is in a funk.

Lee_OC
07-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Brainstorming lately. Maybe Mercury is moving out of retrograde?

James Buchanan
07-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Let's hope.

Stacia Kane
07-28-2006, 01:44 AM
I've had the same problem, and I too think it's the heat and the retrograde. I'm feeling better (and writing hotter) today, so I can only assume that was it.

In response to the question, I usually do the scene anyway. Sometimes it comes to life as I write it, other times I need to go back and revise, but I've never just written "insert hot scene here" and went on. Though I've been tempted to. :)

JanDarby
07-31-2006, 01:26 AM
I'm back from the RWA conference and was hoping to hear y'all had found some moods, now that Mercury is out of retrograde (as of Saturday, IIRC).

My brain is too fried right now to even recognize a mood or act on the right one, but I'm feeling inspired to settle down to work tomorrow, aiming to get some manuscripts done and onto someone else's desk, mood or no mood.

JD

veinglory
07-31-2006, 01:37 AM
Well, I am plowing on with my current novella--but I have no idea how good what I am writing is. Hell, just look at that sentence I just wrote--what a mess. Meh. At least I'm writing. I am commited to finsihing so many novellas by next March that I better keep going!

Lee_OC
07-31-2006, 02:46 AM
I don't know if it has anything to do w/ the Mercury/retrograde or not, but I think I'm getting back in the flow. I have ideas for a new short and potential novella. Back to the grind...

JulesJones
07-31-2006, 02:51 AM
Close to finishing the first draft on my m/m/m dolphin shapeshifter story...

James Buchanan
07-31-2006, 03:26 AM
Managed to write two of Nate and Ceasar and chug through some more on non sex parts too... so maybe the planets are alinging better.

veinglory
07-31-2006, 03:28 AM
Dolphins, eh? I can't wait. Dolphin are pretty sex-oriented juts as they are without adding the human stuff ;)

James Buchanan
07-31-2006, 04:40 AM
I could go into all sorts of nasty jokes about dolphins and thier trainers... but I think I'll pass.

JulesJones
07-31-2006, 04:59 AM
Dolphins, eh? I can't wait. Dolphin are pretty sex-oriented juts as they are without adding the human stuff ;)

Where do you think I got the idea from? :-) And as I've already mentioned on the Broad Universe list, it was just the icing on the cake when I did some research on bottlenose social sturcture, and found that adult male bottlenose dolphins are bisexual, and tend to live in all-male pairs or triads who reinforce their pair-bonding the way you might expect... As I was already working on a plot idea involving a human sub meeting a shapeshifter couple who are both doms, you can imagine how happy I was.

Lee_OC
08-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Yeah I read somewhere that dolphins are horny creatures. Cool idea for a story. :)

JanDarby
08-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Hey, Jules, did you see the thread (in Office Party, I think) about a dolphin being found in a Speedo?

JD

JulesJones
08-06-2006, 03:34 AM
[fx: Jules boggles]

No, I didn't. Haven't checked the board for a few days, and I don't usually read Office Party anyway. Obviously I should. :-)

Finished the last sex scene yesterday, one more chapter to go and then I'll have the draft done.

JanDarby
08-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Oh, wait. The speedo-wearing dolphin is in "writing about animals."

I only noticed b/c I tend to click on the general "new posts" rather than specific forums, and the subject title made me boggle too, and think of your story.

JD

Silver King
08-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Dolphins, eh?

There's an attraction displayed by male dolphins toward humans. This occurs usually when one of our kind enters the water during the menstrual cycle. Almost immediately, it drives the male dolphins into a frenzy, and they'll hone into that person to explore them with their snouts, and in some cases, their nether regions.

If anyone wants to swim with dolphins, heed the warning of not going into the water during certain periods.

Silver King
08-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Oh, wait. The speedo-wearing dolphin is in "writing about animals.

Aw, man, I thought I was IN the Animals Forum. Please don't tell awatkins you found me here.

veinglory
08-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Dolphins show sexual attraction to pretty much anything to. Rubber dinghies, floating plastic objects... and they aren't always very nice about it. A friend of mine who studies dolphin DAN used to call them 'the bastards of the sea'--but I digress.

Silver King
08-06-2006, 07:32 AM
I've seen dolphins mating. The males round up a single female. They hold her so close she can hardly breach for air. They each have a go at her, as many as a half dozen at a time. What's interesting is how the other males in the group hold her in position, so to speak, while the rest have a go at her. There's biting and tail slapping and the female is often left bleeding and injured.

From my perspective, it seems violent; but from theirs, it's a way of life, and their numbers prove that this mating style works.

Stacia Kane
08-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I've seen dolphins mating. The males round up a single female. They hold her so close she can hardly breach for air. They each have a go at her, as many as a half dozen at a time. What's interesting is how the other males in the group hold her in position, so to speak, while the rest have a go at her. There's biting and tail slapping and the female is often left bleeding and injured.

Sounds HOT. ;)

I always suspected that dolphins aren't as sweet and wonderful as some people say...now I have proof. They're sub-aquatic thugs.

Gives some of the stuff I've seen on Flipper a whole new meaning.

KimJo
08-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Lends a new meaning to the "D" in BDSM...

Robert Toy
08-06-2006, 04:38 PM
It hurts my head to think of Flipper.

James Buchanan
08-06-2006, 06:14 PM
And just warps the hell out of the story that Jules is writing. So is it Nature or Nurture for the human? All those old TV shows?

veinglory
08-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Well to put it bluntly gang rape is a common way for dolphin to reproduce--but i won;t be writing about that any time soon.

Silver King
08-06-2006, 11:49 PM
I always suspected that dolphins aren't as sweet and wonderful as some people say...now I have proof. They're sub-aquatic thugs.

It must have something to do with that fake smile of theirs. I doubt if their prey is ever fooled for a second by that silly grin.

The most terrifying experience I ever had occurred while I was wade fishing and a group of dolphins entered the cove while chasing down a school of mullet. They surrounded and overwhelmed the school, breaching the surface with fish caught in their teeth, blood and scales and water spraying in all directions. Some of the mullet escaped and swam toward me, bumping my legs as they fled. One of the males left the group to chase these. He stopped short when he noticed me, rolled and looked at me with one eye. I could've reached down and stroked his chin. He backed away a few feet and raised two-thirds of his body above the surface. Water streamed down the tail flukes for a moment, and then the tail came down hard, smashing the surface and sending a deafening echo throughout the cove and beyond. The dolphin rolled and looked at me again. Then he swam off and rejoined the pod.

I can take a hint about as well as anyone, and I got my sorry a$$ out of there quick.

Stacia Kane
08-07-2006, 01:56 AM
It must have something to do with that fake smile of theirs. I doubt if their prey is ever fooled for a second by that silly grin.

The most terrifying experience I ever had occurred while I was wade fishing and a group of dolphins entered the cove while chasing down a school of mullet. They surrounded and overwhelmed the school, breaching the surface with fish caught in their teeth, blood and scales and water spraying in all directions. Some of the mullet escaped and swam toward me, bumping my legs as they fled. One of the males left the group to chase these. He stopped short when he noticed me, rolled and looked at me with one eye. I could've reached down and stroked his chin. He backed away a few feet and raised two-thirds of his body above the surface. Water streamed down the tail flukes for a moment, and then the tail came down hard, smashing the surface and sending a deafening echo throughout the cove and beyond. The dolphin rolled and looked at me again. Then he swam off and rejoined the pod.

I can take a hint about as well as anyone, and I got my sorry a$$ out of there quick.

That is an awesome story, Silver King. What a terrifying experience.

Down with dolphins! Down with dolphins! ;) Shall we start a movement?

JulesJones
08-08-2006, 02:09 AM
Finished the first draft this morning. And yes, I did skim lightly over the less savoury aspects of dolphin behaviour, although there are implicit references here and there. This is supposed to be a romance story. :-)

101,000 words on the first draft, although that may shrink once I've done a revision pass.

veinglory
08-08-2006, 05:28 AM
Bloody hell. You're a writing machine!

Time i got back on the job--knee deep in edits today...

Lee_OC
08-08-2006, 06:28 AM
After all this dolphin talk, I'll never look at Sea World the same way again. eep.

Congrats on finishing the first draft!

dclary
09-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I've burned out my smut neuron.

The horror! The horror!

Maryn
09-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Surely someone here's read Carl Hiaison! I can't remember which novel, but...

SPOILER WARNING

...it ends with a dolphin raping a bad guy, who not only doesn't care for it but ends up drowning. The author based it on an actual event, although the real victim was not a thug.

END SPOILER

Maryn, glad she's land-based

Silver King
09-02-2006, 12:58 AM
That's gotta hurt, Maryn...for the victim of the assault, I mean.

Earlier this month, a seven year old boy was bit by a dolphin at Sea World in Orlando. He was petting the bottlenose when it suddenly clamped down on the boy's hand and wouldn't let go. It took two trainers to pry the jaws apart. The boy was lucky it didn't take his hand clean off. The official explanation from park officials defended the dolphin's actions as that of "a rambunctious young male."

Maybe we ought to just leave dolphins alone.