Something to think about...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I bring this up once in a while, and just want to remind people that there are writers, poets, screenwriters, and other artisans who would really appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Support Absolute Writers by taking a few minutes to critique a poem or story, offer tips on markets, and become a mentor.

Write well my friends, enjoy the hump tomorrow, and just don't forget that we are family.

Goodnight!

Jon

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I miss the SYW forum. I've tried everything I can think of to access it on my laptop but, alas, I can't. And my desktop computer has gotten so slow I rarely use it.

Reaction score
How long do I have to keep thinking about this, Spooky?

I'd like to go to bed soon.

Thank you.

:)

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
How long do I have to keep thinking about this, Spooky?

I'd like to go to bed soon.

Thank you.

Billy, the guilt will haunt you no matter how far under the covers you hide. Sleep well, but kept a warning bell close by lest you fail to remember awakening beside a ham sandwich.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Ah, but this is a wonderful segue, because I've been looking for a reason to point out that in the past week, I've critiqued (as in, gone in and left red comments throughout the work) four different pieces in the Sci-fi/Fantasy section, and I'm very proud of myself for it.

I would offer links to prove it, but my laptop is painfully slow right now.

Go read "Taste of Devastation," "The Rules of Shadow," and another one or two, but my computer's too sluggish to even show me which others I've commented on.

I've made it my new go-to-activity when I can't immediately write.

Thanks, Spooky.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
I bring this up once in a while, and just want to remind people that there are writers, poets, screenwriters, and other artisans who would really appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Support Absolute Writers by taking a few minutes to critique a poem or story, offer tips on markets, and become a mentor.

Write well my friends, enjoy the hump tomorrow, and just don't forget that we are family.

Goodnight!

Jon
Meter: Stippled in places, but we can fix that with pancake make-up.
Sentiment: Nice and perpendicular! Love it!
Vocabulary: A little prancy, but altogether fleeble.
Use of smileys: Your most sidearmed effort to date.

All in all, I'd give this post a rating of heliotrope. Keep up the peripatetic work, and I'll look forward to reading more of your cubebs.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I am not qualified to critique a poem or story, offer tips on markets, and become a mentor. If it is worth it to anyone, I could let people know if I like something or not but, that's about the best I can do.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Ol' Fashioned Girl said:
Erm... I used to be able to get into SYW, but now I can't. Even with the password. Even with cookies.

Any suggestions?

I can't get in there, either. So while I have no helpful suggestions (tried all the stuff last time this came up) I can at least say, you are not alone!

Susan G.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Ol' Fashioned Girl said:
Erm... I used to be able to get into SYW, but now I can't. Even with the password. Even with cookies.

Any suggestions?
Try deleting your old cookies by going to the command bar in your browser;

Tools, Internet options and then delete cookies should clear out any older links to this site. Go back into SYW and enter the password.

Hope this helps.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Well said-I wait in vain-but do offer my two cents when asked

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
Sheesh! Now I have that song in my head! :rant:

Well crap - I didn't, until you just said that !

Good words, Spooky. Giving critiques scares me, I'm not good at it passed "I liked it." "You lost me" but that's something I need to work on :)

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Thank you for the reminder. :)

Reaction score
I've decided to stop thinking about it and take action!!

I'll see you all over in the Screenwriter's forum.

Hopefully there is some action there.

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
I've decided to stop thinking about it and take action!!

I'll see you all over in the Screenwriter's forum.

Hopefully there is some action there.
But I don't know anything about screenwriting. Mind if I stay with the horror/poets genre? Or maybe I can critique some comtemporary stuff to make amends?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
psy7ven said:
I am not qualified to critique a poem or story, offer tips on markets, and become a mentor. If it is worth it to anyone, I could let people know if I like something or not but, that's about the best I can do.
You'd be surprised at how many of us are faking it 'til we make it. I'm finding that pretending to be a poetry critic is improving my appreciation and, I hope, my writing.

Just jump in and give your impressions - and read what other people offer. It's more than the right thing to do; it's good for you, and it's fun.

(Warning: side effects may include rep points)

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
That's never stopped me or many others like Bravo or Joe Unidos.
Okay, I did critique four new poems over the past couple days, so I guess it's off to new adventures.

I just hope I can persuade more of my horror writers acquaintances to start posting here. The horror genre thread is weak with material and people to critique.

P.S. I also critique other forums besides Absolute Write and a couple of personal friends. So let's get cranky folks and help our fellow writers become the insolvent souls they've always dreamt!

Gotta love writing!

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
thank you Spooky for this reminder!

psy7ven said:
letting them know you if you like it or not and why is a great help. also, with me for poetry anyway, just having someone comment on what they think my poem is about is a fantastic help. say i was writing about monkey's grooming as a way to show affection but your comment said you thought it was about evolution..well then i'd know i needed to tweak the poem.
i know i was scared to critique poetry because i was afraid i'd misinterpret the poems. and many times i have. but the writer needs to hear how their work is received. sure different people may take it differently, and then it's up to the writer to decide which audience to write for or whether to change something to make their intent more clear.
some people can give line for line assessments and those can be very helpful, but an honest reaction to the work is also a helpful critique.

writerly

Registered
Reaction score
There's a screenwriting forum? I couldn't find it. This board has got like mega stuff on it and I can't seem to find my way around.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
psy7ven said:

Don't forget that the people who buy and read books are often not writers. That you like or dislike a work is sometimes good enough. If you can identify why you like or dislike it, it's a bonus for the author - although they don't always agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.