So...?

Rayme_Jean_Dunlap

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, I have read some of the diffrent post's and questions on here and have made some questions of my own.

1.) I am friends with a writest/illustrator (mostly an illustrator). So, If I talk to her about writing books she'll look at mine and give me an oppinion?

2.) I am a young writer and I wish to write under a pen name. Is it hard to get through the pen name prosses?

Thank you:)

Starbrazer

Registered
Reaction score
Rayme_Jean_Dunlap said:
1.) I am friends with a writest/illustrator (mostly an illustrator). So, If I talk to her about writing books she'll look at mine and give me an oppinion?

I would say go for this, because all the feedback you can get early on will help you in your journey. Opinions are vital, and I would even suggest posting some of your work here in the Share Your Work part of the forum.

Rayme_Jean_Dunlap said:
2.) I am a young writer and I wish to write under a pen name. Is it hard to get through the pen name prosses?

I don't think you should start out with a pen name; why not your own name?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Pen names

It's perfectly fine to use a pen name, if you wish. A greta many writers begin by using one.

But there is no process for a pen name. If you want to use a pen name, you simply type that name under teh title of teh story, and that's the name the magazine or book publisher will release it under.

Rayme_Jean_Dunlap

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
It's perfectly fine to use a pen name, if you wish. A greta many writers begin by using one.

But there is no process for a pen name. If you want to use a pen name, you simply type that name under teh title of teh story, and that's the name the magazine or book publisher will release it under.

Well, I assumed there would be some where where I would have to expaine that...Or would I just let my agent deal with that?

Rayme_Jean_Dunlap

Registered
Reaction score
argenianpoet said:
I would say go for this, because all the feedback you can get early on will help you in your journey. Opinions are vital, and I would even suggest posting some of your work here in the Share Your Work part of the forum.

Ok...I have let several people read it. They say it's good, but nothing like..

"Put more here and you don't need this...bla bla bla."

Starbrazer

Registered
Reaction score
Rayme_Jean_Dunlap said:
Ok...I have let several people read it. They say it's good, but nothing like..

"Put more here and you don't need this...bla bla bla."

That's the nature of a critique, and if you are going to become a good writer you must weigh out the good critiques from the bad ones. But all in all, I always get something out of every critique even if I don't necessarily agree with that person. Find people who know what they are talking about and get them to read your stuff; their opinions will prove to be very valuable. But most importantly, leave your ego at the door, because it will only hinder you and keep you from growing. I always try to get my stories read and critiqued by more than one person so I know for sure that this or that doesn't work. Try to find an online critique group where you will critique other people's work and in return they will critique yours; that way you get more than one perception. You never really know how good a story is until a bunch of people like it and tell you what could make it even better. Pick and choose between those opinions with your own common sense and make changes accordingly. This is a good way to learn about your own writing: where POV is confusing or where you tell instead of show or even the use of the passive voice instead of the active voice. All of these old Mantras are important and you will learn them as you grow into the craft. Reading is also important I think and you can learn a lot by doing it. Hope this helps.

Rayme_Jean_Dunlap

Registered
Reaction score
argenianpoet said:
Reading is also important I think and you can learn a lot by doing it. Hope this helps.
yep...ok...Well, i have been reading ALOT lately...thank you...I posted the first chapter of my story up on the opinions thread... I'm working on finishing it, then adding more into some parts...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rayme_Jean_Dunlap said:
Well, I assumed there would be some where where I would have to expaine that...Or would I just let my agent deal with that?

Nope, no explanations required. It's standard operating procedure, and every publisher out there knows exactly how it works.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious-- how old are you? There are a lot of teenagers on the site, and we're always glad to have someone new. :)