Co-Authoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
My son and I are moving forward with our book, If A Tux Could Talk. I was wondering if anyone else here every wrote a book with someone else - particuarly a family member. We haven't hit any snags or had any serious disagreements yet but I'd certainly like to avoid them if possible. It may be harder because I've had a few books published and he hasn't so I feel like the "expert." This means I'm just running on ahead doing my thing (writing the book) and asking his opinion periodically. He seems OK with this and has offered to write specific sections where he has the most expertise. I know I'm going to want to make some changes to these sections and I don't want to have any hard feelings. We have talked about this in advance. He just laughs and says that he'll bow to my writing expertise -- but I don't know if that will actually happen when the time comes.

Any advice?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I co-author novels with a friend of mine, Louise. We both came from a law background, and knew that any good partnership starts with a good agreement. You should really consider taking the time to write up a "Book Collaboration Agreement" that sets out the duties of each party and deals with any problems that might come up in the future (such as the one you describe where there are "creative differences.") A Book Collaboration Agreement also deals with the effect of death of one of the co-authors. Estate law has a difficult time dealing with intellectual property unless the details are spelled out in writing.

I suggest you consider finding an attorney who specializes in either "Entertainment Law" or "Intellectual Property Law". But if you'd like to see a sample form, I have an older one from an Entertainment law seminar I took a number of years ago. It's VERY basic, and would have to be tailored to your situation, but it would be a good starting point to start asking some questions. PM me if you'd like me to send it along. :)

Good luck, and know it can work out just fine!

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Great Idea

Thanks! I would love to have a copy of your previous contract. It would be great place to start.

I admit that I have a great relationship with all three of my boys (young men) but that is all the more reason to make sure we preseve it. Send contract to [email protected]
:Thumbs:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Actually, the sample is out of the materials, so it's not electronic. Neither is the one our attorney drew up. But if you have a fax handy, I'd be happy to send it that way. You can PM it to me, or drop me an email at: [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.