Made it past 100 pages in the WIP

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
And currently, I'm on page 106. My word count is now over 29,000. Today I wrote over 1,800 words. My daily goal started at 500, and has grown to try to write over 1,000 words a day. Being unemployed gives me the freedom to do this.

This is a small milestone for me. Besides my previous nonfiction books, this is my first fiction piece I've made it past 100 pages. In the past I've burnt out after twenty pages or so.

This means I'm over a third of the way there. Granted it's very first draft, and nowhere near publishable (many parts are laughable, though), it's coming along nicely and I can "see" the novel there as it grows.

allen

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks for the support! I wrote the initial post on the morning of the 18th after I had crossed the 100 page mark.

On the 19th I was in some kind of writing zone and ended up with over 3,600 words in one day. A new record.

Which boils down to this: I wrote twenty pages in two days. I'm currently sitting on page 120. My typical goal is about three pages.

And I'm not editing along the way, nor am I trying for good prose as I write it. I'm just plowing through, getting all the words down. I can make it coherent later.

It is coming along nicely, though, but I need to work on a subplot. I have the basics of one forming, but it needs expansion.

allen

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
underthecity said:
And I'm not editing along the way, nor am I trying for good prose as I write it. I'm just plowing through, getting all the words down. I can make it coherent later. allen

That's the way I write, when I'm not on these boards....:D

Seriously, through the years, I find that, for me, just getting the thoughts and words down first are important. It's going to go through many revisions anyway when I finish.

faithmairee

Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck to you, Allen! I published my first finished fiction online. It's an erotic novella. It was a great feeling to finally finish it.

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
"On the 19th I was in some kind of writing zone and ended up with over 3,600 words in one day. A new record."
Wow, I wish I could do that. Please keep us posted about your progress. Best of luck to you.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks again for the support. At this point, as of this morning, I'm sitting on page 191 (51,000 words written) so my initial post is now out of date. Last week was a great writing week; at times it was like I was watching a movie inside my head and just writing down what was happening. Other times the characters were writing all the dialog, I just took dictation and tried to keep up.

All that's going to change, though. I'm returning to full time work on Monday (See my post in Office Party). Today, Friday the 28th, is my last full day of writing I'll have left. I'd love to go outside and have a Ferris Bueller's Day Off kind of day, but it's going to rain all day and I'd like to crank out twenty pages today, my goal.

If that works out, by the time I'm finished today I'll only have 1/4th left of the first draft to write. I'll have to stay off AW for it; although I do have a post in Writing Novels about a situation I'm dealing with in the chapter I'm writing right now.

I'm rambling instead of writing. Must be the coffee.

allen

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I find the last quarter of a novel the fastest part to write. I get excited and I'm like a horse with the barn in view! Good luck and come back to us when you've got it done.