Mickey Spillane Obituary

OmenSpirits.com

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.omenspirits.com
He was my last living influence from that era.

...........on 2006, 17 July, Mickey Spillane passed away.

Long live Mickey Spillane, long live Mike Hammer.......:cry:

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
young reader

I was the big reader kid in my family, eagerly awaiting the BookMobile. My little brother wasn't into it. My mother, who worried about his reading development, gave him Mickey Spillane books. He loved them and became a reader.

My mother took lots of crap about it - especially since we grew up in an elitist, small college town. But she got results.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Spillane

Some of my favorites quotations from Mickey Spillane.

If you're a singer you lose your voice. A baseball player loses his arm. A writer gets more knowledge, and if he's good, the older he gets, the better he writes. --MS

Nobody reads a mystery to get to the middle. They read it to get to the end. If it's a letdown, they won't buy anymore. The first page sells that book. The last page sells your next book. --MS

Those big-shot writers could never dig the fact that there are more salted peanuts consumed than caviar. --MS

"I'm a commercial writer, not an "author." Margaret Mitchell was an author. She wrote one book." --MS

OmenSpirits.com

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.omenspirits.com
In memory,

He was third in the three influences that I'd had when I first writing crime/mysteries. His was the one that taught me hardboiled could be unabashedly strong and fierce, while at the same time, showing a world not too far off from the real.
His men were hard, soft, and down right bastards, but all were recognizably.........
human.

His women, though against his own personal beliefs ( I've spoken to the man on a few occasions and he wasn't the most liberal thinker towards women, but he was a man of his era), his women were dangerous, sultry, vendictive, down-right evil!

but,

some were feminine, intelligent, strong, and able to sling hot lead with his iconic creation, Mike Hammer. They stood on equal with Hammer, and Hammer would have it no other way.

The first time I spoke to Micky I was kinda nervous. Because by that time I was in deep as a crime writer and Mickey became an influence. I don't know how long I waited until I used the number a friend gave me.

It was a short conversation, as I found out later from my friend most conversations with Mickey were short in nature, but he was gracious, honest, and direct.

We spoke about his writing and the nature of the business and how much it changed.

I was pumped after that conversation, and thanked him for his time.

He'll always be more than a memory, more than an influence, I like to think of him........

........as a friend.

March 19, 1918 to July 17, 2006

Shoot a .45 into the sky, take a hit off a bottle of scotch, and remember him with glory....................

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
OmenSpirits.com said:
In memory,

...The first time I spoke to Micky I was kinda nervous. Because by that time I was in deep as a crime writer and Mickey became an influence. I don't know how long I waited until I used the number a friend gave me.

It was a short conversation, as I found out later from my friend most conversations with Mickey were short in nature, but he was gracious, honest, and direct.

We spoke about his writing and the nature of the business and how much it changed.

I was pumped after that conversation, and thanked him for his time.

He'll always be more than a memory, more than an influence, I like to think of him........

........as a friend.
I wouldn't recommend the .45 thing (unless they're blanks), but that a cool story. Thanks for sharing it. It's always an interesting thing when you get to share space with someone like that, especially if they've been an influence on you.