Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's sooo hot!

It's been in the nineties today, and the humidity is horribly high. Feels like a sauna. Our air conditioning is lagging behind, too.

This afternoon I opened the fridge, and it felt so good I felt like sitting in there.

What are you doing to keep cool?

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
We reached 109 today, and it will be 112 by Tuesday. Of course, that comes with only a 5% humidity level, so it isn't so bad. ;) How I stay cool? Lots of ice, a couple of fans, and very little clothes.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome to crawl into my freezer. I thoughtfully made room by eliminating the need to store the B&J's Phish Food in there.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
A towel, put into cold water, then wrapped around me! :D

Ok, five minutes later it's dry and I'm hot again but oh well..

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
*waiting for autumn*

East Tennessee summers are brutal. We have the high 90s AND the ridiculous humudity. Oh...and there's rarely a breeze. There's nothing quite as lovely as getting to work at 8 a.m. and having a fashionable little damp streak down the back of your blouse. Yuk.

Thank goodness this apartment is super-easy to cool.

Hero For Sale

Banned
Reaction score
This thread was started in fun but it also serves up a good opportunity to remind everyone about potential dangers associated with refrigerators.

Every year in America, approximately 150 or so writers die after crawling into abandoned refrigerators. Most of these tragedies are occur in or near Los Angeles shortly after pilot season but the issue is really one of national importance.

I urge everyone to remove the door before you dump your old refrigerators in a field expecially if you know a writer lives nearby.

Last edited:

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any breakdown by genre? Are, say, screenwriters more at risk than novelists or textbook writers? I'd assume, since the epicenter of the problem is LA, it would be screenwriters, but I do have a neighbor who's told me she's a published writer (of a vanity press cookbook, when pressed for further information).

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was gonna crawl into the fridge with Shwebb, but now, I'm not so sure about it.

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
When I read the thread title, I thought I was going to find out about some bizarre, new form of shame.

Oh, yeah. The heat.

Now, I feel a mundane form of shame.

Hero For Sale

Banned
Reaction score
Jenan Mac said:
Is there any breakdown by genre? Are, say, screenwriters more at risk than novelists or textbook writers? I'd assume, since the epicenter of the problem is LA, it would be screenwriters, but I do have a neighbor who's told me she's a published writer (of a vanity press cookbook, when pressed for further information).

Television writers are considered the highest risk category.

Novelists are most likely to have been accidentally trapped or purposely locked in a refrigerator as a child but this proves to be a good source of angst for their writing.

Only one case of a textbook writers death in this manner has been recorded. He was writing a law school textbook on liability, researching a case study about children locked in abandoned refrigerators. (Always have a research buddy!).

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
It's been in the high 90s pushing 100 with fairly high humidity for the past few days with no cool off in sight. I spent the weekend painting a bedroom at my aunt-in-laws that was on the south side of the house. Fortunately, the aunt-in-law kept the AC running and it wasn't too steamy (though for some reason the two gallons of paint didn't exactly match which is why I had to go back on Sunday and repaint the entire room again).

The computer is in the lower level of our split level so it usually stays cooler down here (preplanning on my part when we moved in last summer) and our yard is filled with trees (they provide great shade and cooling in the summer but TONS of leaves in the fall!)

Of course, if it starts to feel too warm in the house - I usually go outside for a walk. By the time I get back - the house 'feels' downright cold! :)

Take care all - and stay 'cool'.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
I am sitting in my office at work. It's a long rectangular room, one wall of which is windows. Windows that don't open. It's well insulated so it never gets cold in the winter. There's no ventilation apart from the desk fans. But they just blow air around, in fact its like sitting in front of a hair-dryer.

So, if I seem a little crankier than usual; don't worry, it's just the heat-stroke talking.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
A wet towel wrapped with ice and applied to the back of the neck.

Of course, you get water dripping down your back. But when there's a fan nearby, it makes things nice and cool.

Oh, lots of water and running the A/C.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
dahmnait said:
You, my friend, are just sick.

No, because the alternative is the death of nature. No greenery. Frigid temperatures. Snow shoveling. Frostbite. Icy roads and car crashes. Praying the furnace doesn't crap out. Having to bundle up just to get the paper from the porch.

I hate winter. Summer, as short as it is, is simply glorious. I'm willing to put up with a few 100°F days just to enjoy a chance to be out in the sun. And see women in a state of near undress. :)

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hero For Sale said:
Television writers are considered the highest risk category.

Novelists are most likely to have been accidentally trapped or purposely locked in a refrigerator as a child but this proves to be a good source of angst for their writing.

Only one case of a textbook writers death in this manner has been recorded. He was writing a law school textbook on liability, researching a case study about children locked in abandoned refrigerators. (Always have a research buddy!).
Are you sure he wasn't hung up about the ethics section?

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I sit naked on my balcony on a barstool and post to AW on my laptop. The breeze is lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.