PDA

View Full Version : Bathing Beauties

awatkins
07-16-2006, 07:56 PM
The other day I looked out at the birdbath and there were three doves splashing around in it. Talk about crowded! LOL. But they were having a ton of fun. Later I spotted a male cardinal and a goldfinch taking a dip together. Very cute.

Which reminds me...years ago I had a gorgeous Malamute that absolutely loved to roll around in cool mud. He'd scratch up a patch of ground near his water bucket, tip the bucket over and spill out all the water, then flop down in the puddle. It made for a super mess but he was in heaven!

But not all baths involve water. I get a huge kick out of watching various birds take dust baths. That's so funny! I've seen rabbits take dust baths, too.

Anybody else have have similar stories to share? :)

alleycat
07-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Speaking of doves . . . I have a lot of them around this year. I live near a river and there used to be a lot of doves that lived on the low, flood prone area on the other side of the river. Then they developed the area and put in a "greenbelt" walkway so there wasn't as many doves. This year I probably have two dozens at times.

awatkins
07-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Do your doves make noise when they fly? Ours always sound sort of like they need to be oiled or something. :D

alleycat
07-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Mine make a sort of "whirligig" sound.

TeddyG
07-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Hey my fav. Parrot whats up?

I usually dont get into these discussion BUT...since its you know who that started the thread...

Rainbow, my Golden Ret. being a golden loves water...
the trouble is this dumb purebred dog loves mud even more...

So when we go walking in the park in the Winter or Spring sometimes I have to keep her leashed the whole time, otherwise she will happily roll in the mud for hours and come home stinking and totally brown-black..

The problem is that the water fountains in the park are built so that the run off water goes into the grass. So of course Rainbow runs up to them, digs into the ground finds mudddddddddddddddddddd and voila.....i have a brown Golden Ret.

Thing is Rainbow will listen to every command, and come to my whistle all the time...she touches mud..and all bets are off...

So why do I keep her around...
She is such a chick magnet it is incredible...

Put 10 women and 500 men in that park and I will meet every single one of the women...A ham ... but hey it works for me!!

(Yep..I trained her well!!!!!!!!)

alleycat
07-17-2006, 03:38 AM
TeddyG is a sly ol' fox.

Some say the best place to meet women is the grocery store or laundrymat. It ain't . . . it's the vet's office! ;-)

awatkins
07-17-2006, 05:57 AM
Hiya, Teddy! I can't believe you need a chick magnet--but if you say so, okay. :D Goldens are so gorgeous and they do love water, don't they? Thanks for telling us about her and your exploits.

Innkeeper, ow! Hope you recover from those scratches soon. Who knew bathing was such a hazardous activity? ;)

Here's something weird: I had a cat once that liked to bathe in the tub. Have you guys heard of any other cats that like to bathe in water?

reph
07-17-2006, 06:00 AM
Sometimes, when I hand-water plants, a hummingbird comes and takes a shower by hovering in the spray from the hose.

awatkins
07-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Oh, Reph, you fortunate thing! I'd love to see something like that.

TeddyG
07-17-2006, 10:55 AM
okay since the parrot liked my post...now I want to know all about the kinky things that go in the mod squad room!

Fern
07-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Here's something weird: I had a cat once that liked to bathe in the tub. Have you guys heard of any other cats that like to bathe in water?

I won't say our cat likes a bath, but he will tolerate one without scratching you to pieces. He will even let us blow him dry with a hair dryer. Our other cats will claw you to shreds if you even try it --bath or dryer.

I think when cats live with kids, they eventually just give up and do "whatever", whether it involves water or not, just because its easier.

My kids were by the pond one day, laughing and having a high old time. That usually spells mischief. I went to check. They said "Look, Mama! He can swim!" They had thrown the cat in the water and the "not so bright" cat would swim back to them, where they promptly threw him back in. I don't know how many times that had happened before I caught them. He never figured out to swim to the other bank. The cat was mad as an ol' wet hen. He sulked all afternoon, but he still hung around the kids. Maybe so they would know he was put out with them.

alleycat
07-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Errrrr ... I hope your kids don't try to see if he can fly i.e. "Look mom, we're on the roof to see if the cat can FLY!"

When we were young, my brother and I tested whether cats always landed on their feet. By, uh, dropping them off the barn roof.

oarsman
07-17-2006, 07:18 PM
We had a cat that liked to lay in the shower after someone took a shower . He also liked to curl up in the bathroom sink after the water had been run. He liked the wetness, but not bathing.

He once jumped into the toilet. I heard frantic splashing and I saw him run out of there like his tail was on fire. He only did it once.