I have a job interview...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I have an interview scheduled for a different position within the hospital where I work. If I get the job, it means that I will not be working in Mental Health anymore.

It will mean that I will be working as a combination nurse/geek kinda thing. By geek I mean I will be working with database querying, performance improvement, data collection, data analysis, data reporting, spreadsheets, word processing, graphics, presentations, etc. It will involve analytical skills and lord knows I love to analyze things.

In other words, I'll be a little bit of a geek working with a bunch of full blooded geeks.

As good as this all sounds, I am not sure yet how I feel about making such a major change. This is just an interview so it doesn't mean I have the job but, what if I do get offered the job?

This change will be a big big change. One that will involve the required discontinuation of other aspects of my life.

Change is something I have always welcomed but, it is the sacrifice that cuts deep. I get very tired of making sacrifices for change but then, not allowing for change usually ends up taking aspects of my life and making its own sacrifices.

Any advice?

psy7ven

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Lordi. I have no useful advice, I'm afraid. I personally always jumpa t the chance of doing something different. I like trying new things. That's just me.

I'm sorry. I'm no help at all. But I'll offer congratulations for getting an interview!

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
one way to look at it

the word liaison comes to mind.
you sound like you love what you do. you say good things about the new possibilities. is it really a dilemna? you won't be burning bridges, right? it would be a chance to look at something you love from a different perspective for a while. who says you can't return?
it's a view that your patients/clients may never see. one that is probably vital in their world nonetheless.
what a great opportunity.
perhaps you'll build bridges.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats! Seriously. Go with the heart and money (marry a rich guy) so you'll be content in life. But write and be happy is the most important aspect to our dire existence.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't marry a rich guy, I married for love and wow ...who knew that getting married for love would be so darned expensive. LOL

I am whining because I am sick of making sacrifices for sake of trying to make the best possible life choices.

With each passing day, I become more and more convinced that I was an Oyster in a past life. :Shrug:

I want my pearl back!!

psy7ven

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, P. The key to a good interview is to interview them as much as they interview you. It's your job to wring information out of them about the job specifics so you can make in informed decision. Make sure you get time to talk to the regular workers, not just the bosses, if possible. Then, do as everyone else has suggested--go with what seems right for you. Congrats. Having options like this means you are valued in your workplace. You know you are valued here as well.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, here's a big :Hug2: from your friends here at the oyster bar while we sip champange and dance with virgil southern vergins.

psy7ven said:
I didn't marry a rich guy, I married for love and wow ...who knew that getting married for love would be so darned expensive. LOL

I am whining because I am sick of making sacrifices for sake of trying to make the best possible life choices.

With each passing day, I become more and more convinced that I was an Oyster in a past life. :Shrug:

I want my pearl back!!

psy7ven

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Psy7ven, you must be interested in a change, or you wouldn't have applied for the job, but I understand that in nursing, the people contact is what can make the job meaningful.

Are you worried that your possible new job will seem cold without that contact?

Maybe if you think about what really drives you in your job and career, you will find the answer.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
This is some of the best advice I've ever had!!

I feel like I am in a group huddle working out a killer defense for dealing with life's offense.

:e2grouphu

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
psy7ven said:

I want my pearl back!!

psy7ven
perhaps you are the pearl? ;)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
perhaps you are the pearl?
:D new perspective to consider!

Check this out:

Did you know that there was such a thing as male and female Oysters and that they can change their sex if need be at any time? I just now found that out. Heh I had no idea. I learned something new today! excellent.

psy7ven

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
now that's something worth knowing.
next life, i'm signing up for that option.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
psy7ven said:
:D new perspective to consider!

Check this out:

Did you know that there was such a thing as male and female Oysters and that they can change their sex if need be at any time? I just now found that out. Heh I had no idea. I learned something new today! excellent.

psy7ven
I hope you didn't actually eat the oyster while it was telling you this story.

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
maybe this information is key to understanding why oysters are an aphrodisiac.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
now that's something worth knowing.
next life, i'm signing up for that option.

LOL me to.

I hope you didn't actually eat the oyster while it was telling you this story.

Oh no, I won't eat oysters for fear that I would throw up if I tried.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who was once told, "You are the sand that makes the pearl."

For a few seconds, she thought she was being paid a compliment. Then she realized she was being called an irritant.

Talk about rubbing someone the wrong way!

Status
Not open for further replies.