what is Pop culture non-fiction

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed this is a category that Ginger Clark had on her profile but I was wondering specifically what sort of non fiction falls into the category Pop culture?

Thanks

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
I have been really hoping that everyone would chime in with responses on this, because I don't quite get it myself. I could look at a book and tell you whether it's PCNF, but I can't look at PCNF and tell you what would fall under it. Kind of like using a word in a sentence without being able to define it? ;]

Kristen

Deleted member 42

Oh, a book on Buffy as a guide to ethical behavior. Or a history of Star Trek, or the life of Harley Motor Cycle racing enthusiasts, or what it's like to follow the Grateful Dead on a concert tour . . .

Deleted member 42

Pop culture is ephemeral culture, things that are popular in the current era, that aren't expected to last. Pop culture derives from media, and leisure pursuits, like music, games, films, tv, dances, and other acitivities that lend themselves to fads. PCNF refers to non-fiction about these topics.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
hmmmm ok thanks i think that helps :rofl:

so what about the imaginary carrie bradshaw from sex and the city where she has that column about sex, love, dating etc. what category would that come under???

Last edited:

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
LOL I thought it was. But it's what I find so hard when defining it because it's sort of a lifestyle type thing, but could also even be called self help or self improvement but it's also relevant to the cultures and trends of the day! ;)

Deleted member 42

Keep in mind that the genre you as author think a book is, the genre that your agent and editor think it is, and possibly even the genre your readers think your books, may or may not bear any resemblance to the genre that the marketing folk at the publisher think your book is . . .

Marketing folk are strange and mysterious, and think not like lesser mortals; be wary of them, and stay on their good side . . .

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
p.s. Kristen who designed your logo? I sometimes think about getting one. My website is plain and boring LOL. Thought a logo might jazz it up :)

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
well that's a bit clearer... not!

Medievalist said:
Keep in mind that the genre you as author think a book is, the genre that your agent and editor think it is, and possibly even the genre your readers think your books, may or may not bear any resemblance to the genre that the marketing folk at the publisher think your book is . . .

sooooooooooo does anyone know how editors/agents/publishers describe pop culture NF??? It really helps to know before you start pitching stuff

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
That's what I was looking for, and I think Medievalist gave it to us. It sounds like her definition is exactly in line with what I've heard agents say when they discussed pop culture nonfiction, but no one ever defined it. I think this definition is right on.

Kristen

P.S. I did my own logo.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
very clever!

Kristen King said:
P.S. I did my own logo.

are you a graphic designer? or do you have some fancy shmancy software?

hmmm must get to work on sorting out all these things!

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
I'm not a designer, but I do my own design and a little on the side for other folks. I do have fancy-schmancy software, but you don't need it for this. It's just three circles with a letter on top. Honest, it's really easy.

What did you have in mind? PM or e-mail me and we can figure it out for you.

Kristen