Blogger's block

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I am one very familiar to writer's block, but have been proud to say that I always have something to say on my blog...until now. I'm out of things to say, except for reviews and rants about me not writing (I don't have that now, because I wrote 1,500 words last night).

I mix up my posts between writing and politics, but since I have some right-wing trolls hanging around, I'm increasingly less willing to post full fledged rants as I usually would.

I'm not sure if I've given you much of a question, but I'm looking for some help, or maybe just a shoulder to cry on.

:rant:

Insomnicole

Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya. I run into this occasionally too, especially when I've been keeping a journal or blog for a while. I get a bad case of "I've already written about this, and I've written better entries about it too."

I don't know what to suggest: if I ride through it, I find that sooner or later I'll get bitten by the idea bug again. Good luck.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Insomnicole said:
I get a bad case of "I've already written about this, and I've written better entries about it too."

Yep, that's what's happening to me. I do have this one idea for a post, a long one, but the last time I wrote a long post, a few weeks ago, barely anyone read it, or at least didn't leave comments.

I want to write a post about characterization in Marxist fiction, but it keeps coming out sounding stuck up and pretentious.

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
Could you break the post into several shorter ones and post them a day or so apart? Make it a series and break it into posts in the same way you'd break it up with headings in print.

And what's going on with "since I have some right-wing trolls hanging around, I'm increasingly less willing to post full fledged rants as I usually would"?

Are they hanging around your computer slapping your hands away when you try to type? If not, who cares? Trolls usually leave comments and tell their friends how stupid/ignorant/whatever you are so they can read your posts and comment, too, right? Controversy isn't necessarily a bad thing in the blogosphere.

Kristen

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Surf the web for inspiration or humor. Link to something and talk about why. Every now and then I find a crazy knitting pattern post or costumed Roombas - I'm always amazed at the responses I get, too.

Take a brief break from the serious - maybe do a satire, write something so totally out of character that the trolls go "huh??" :)

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
I've only been blogging for just over a month, but I've already been blocked a couple of times. The first time I did a list of my random thoughts about blogging, the second time I just put down some links. Most of the time though, I'm "brain leaking" from my stories or I've read something on another blog, forum, or site that gets the creative juices flowing.

I hope this helps. :)

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
I've recently been suffering from a case of writers block on my blog. I used to be completely inspired by the subject of royalty but right now it really doesn't do anything for me. I used to update the blog every other day and then it went to once a week and then it was a month. Very depressing. I'm hoping I can eventually get back into the swing of things but right now it's an uphill battle.

briliantdonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
I have two suggestions not particularly in any order. I would say find a picture or a word prompt somewhere that tickles your imagination a bit and go from there. Write what the picture brings into your mind. Even if it turns out to be crap for the most part and you never actually post it as anything other than a draft, just the simple act of writing can get your fingers going. At some point something you are typing will lead you off on a tangent and one of those tangents will turn into a full fledged post or two that actually DOES interest you. Here is a site with writing excercise prompts. I havent looked it over closely myself yet, other than to browse, but they DO have a lot of prompts. Maybe one of them will trigger something. I am not saying join the group(unless you want to but look at the prompts is all. http://www.winebird.com/

Second, one thing i have found very useful is just surfing other blogs. Usually in no time at all, i will visit Jaye's,Flood's,Teddy's, Jason Evans' or countless other blogs see what they are talking about and it makes ME want to comment on it or write about it as well.

Third like someone else kind of said. Do something totally different. If you always write about politics, go for something funny or vice versa. Shock your brain and or fingers into submission.

just a few suggestions, hope they help.

INKcogKNEEdough(Rob)

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
I agree with INKcogKNEEdough. Whenever I have blogger's block, I just visit other blogs aimlessly and sooner or later it becomes ok. Best thing is that do not take it too hard. Earlier this week, on my blog entries made the home page of Fark and another 6-7 blogs and messageboard gave a link to it. The increase in traffic was too good but the negative comments that I suffered in various places were terrible too. Then I started to read other blogs and found that some of them suffered like me too.

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
It's not really about have to, it has more to do with choose to. I try to blog once a day because it strikes just the right balance between attainable and challenging. Others may choose to write less or more frequently. It all has to do with personal goals and what you want your blog to do.