Do you have to hire a publicist?

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Elizabeth Slick said:
So, you write a novel, get a good agent, the agent sells your book to a publishing house. They like it.
Does the author have to hire a publicist if they want the book to sell? Just curious. I hear they are around 20K. Is that correct?

Thanks

I wouldn't. It should sell okay without, and if the publisher wants one let them pay for it. If it's a big advance, they probably have it in the budget.

Regards,
Scott

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi Elizabeth,

I know a few authors who've hired outside publicists and been happy with the results, but by no means is it customary. Most authors just work with the in-house publicist (all publishers should have a publicity department).

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard stories of authors who end up using most of their advance money to hire a publicist; some even insist this is the way you have to go. However, in almost every case, it was a relatively small advance for a first-time novel, and more often than not, a small press publisher.

Elizabeth Slick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethslick.homestead.com
That is good news! I am relieved to hear that. And I didn't know that publishers had their own in-house publicists. Thanks for all the information. I was starting to worry that it was customary for every author to hire a publicist. Whew.

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
Elizabeth, your publisher's publicity department will likely be sufficient. Their job is to publicize the publisher's books. I know of several instances in which authors hired outside publicists to supplement the publisher's work, but it seems to me that the publisher would become less motivated to promote your book themselves when you've hired someone else to do it, you know? You could go either way, but unless your publisher's publicity department totally sucks (in which case, did you really pick the right publisher?), you don't need to.

Kristen

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
Publicists don't necessarily start at $20k. I know of some who will do projects for $8k-$10k. It depends on the publicist and the book. Really, it's money you don't need to spend. You'd be better served to promote yourself for free. There are lots of books out there about things you can do to market your book. Just make sure you keep in close contact with your publicist at the publisher to make sure you're not making his or her job more difficult.

Kristen

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
When a book from an unpublished wriiter succeeds, it is usually because of word of mouth among readers and the lit community. Nowadays, the Internet is also very helpful in this way. It doesn't hurt to have Stephen King or Dan Brown blurb your front cover, though.

A lot of publishers and authors have found that things like bookstore book signings that are typically recommended by publicists don't do very much. I'd be really careful before taking a big part of your advance and spending it on a publicist.