Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

breena

Registered
Reaction score
Website
groups.msn.com
Just got the King newsletter and found out the new series 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes' started tonight. I knew nothing about it. Its on TNT. Anyone catch it? If so. please fill me in.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Nightmares

breena said:
Just got the King newsletter and found out the new series 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes' started tonight. I knew nothing about it. Its on TNT. Anyone catch it? If so. please fill me in.

It actually started Sunday night, at least on our TNT channel. And I missed it. Been waiting months, and I missed it.

I have a sign over the TV reminding me not to miss the next episode.

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
Hrmph...I missed it, too.

Maybe I should have gotten TiVo after all.

BlackCrowesChick

Uptown Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it. "Battleground" and "Crouch End" were the adaptations shown tonight. "Battleground" was a lot different from the story as I remembered it. It had the main parts the same - the attacking of the toy soldiers, but the storyline was changed, very modernized. That story was written in 1971 or so I think. No computers and cell phones like in this. "Battleground" is not one of my favorite stories..so I can't say I loved the show of it.

"Crouch End" I liked more. For the most part, it stuck with the story, but the end part of it seemed like they added to it for the show, changed stuff a bit. It had a grayish filter over the camera for part of it. I thought that was kind of a neat effect.

I'm looking forward to some of the other stories they'll be adapting in the next few weeks. "The Road Virus Heads North" being one of them.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Loved Crouch End. Thought Battleground was a little tired, all though the ending was a hoot. In all, I thought the production quality and overall treatment of the stories were well done, especially in Crouch End. I'm already looking forward to the next episodes.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I missed them last night but I see they're replaying them the next couple of nights with the new ones being next Wednesday...at least if I read it right. So I have to DVR all the episodes and hopefully I'll catch them all. I read Nightmares and Dreamscapes so long ago that the stories will be new to me...I don't remember any of them. Of course, I've never been a huge fan of King's short stories so I probably didn't commit them to memory like I do his novels. Still I can't wait to watch!!

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
We didn't get that in my neck of the woods, but I did manage to watch 'Secret Window' last night and I loved it! I know, I'm behind the times, but I really need to go out and read the story. Any idea which collection it's in?

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
bsolah said:
Any idea which collection it's in?
It's called 'Secret Window, Secret Garden', and if I'm not mistaken it's in Four Past Midnight. I'm going to feel stupid if that's not right, but without checking I think it is.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Secret Window

jbal said:
It's called 'Secret Window, Secret Garden', and if I'm not mistaken it's in Four Past Midnight. I'm going to feel stupid if that's not right, but without checking I think it is.

You're right. "The Langoliers" was also in Four Past Midnight, which made for an interesting movie itself.

DWoehr

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deborahwoehr.com
Liam Jackson said:
Loved Crouch End. Thought Battleground was a little tired, all though the ending was a hoot. In all, I thought the production quality and overall treatment of the stories were well done, especially in Crouch End. I'm already looking forward to the next episodes.

I liked the ending of Battleground. What I liked the least about that show was the lack of dialogue. It's been so long since I've read the original story that I wonder if Jason Renshaw was mute. All he did was grunt and scream.

Crouch was a little better, although the scene with the monster was cheesy and predictable. I'm hoping that the next couple of stories are better.

DWoehr

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deborahwoehr.com
bsolah said:
We didn't get that in my neck of the woods, but I did manage to watch 'Secret Window' last night and I loved it! I know, I'm behind the times, but I really need to go out and read the story. Any idea which collection it's in?

I never saw that one. I'll have to see if it's available on Amazon.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Nightmares

Nightmares & Dreamscapes is on again tonight at eleven EST on TNT.

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
So I saw "Battleground" last night, and I loved it. That was one of the stories that I always visualized in my head. I thought William Hurt was fantastic.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
It's been ages since I read either story, so I can't comment on faithful adaptation.

"Battleground" was a far superior episode, from a filmmaking standpoint. The toy soldier effects were spot-on and seemlessly woven. William Hurt owned the screen, and I thoroughly enjoyed his performance. It took me about fifteen minutes to realize that no one had spoken yet, but overall, it worked perfectly for the episode. He's a loner, who's he going to talk to? Not *everyone* talks to themself when they are alone.

"Crouch End" had a good cast, and an intriguing premise. I wanted to know a little more, though, especially about what happened behind the hedge. There was too much tease. And the special effects at the end (that squid thing) were 1990, pre-CGI quality. I cringed, and then rolled my eyes.

I'm definitely looking forward to next week's episodes. Finally something decent on TV to watch during the summer.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
BlackCrowesChick said:
I'm looking forward to some of the other stories they'll be adapting in the next few weeks. "The Road Virus Heads North" being one of them.

Damn, this makes me wish I had cable. I loved that story.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one with Nightmares and Dreamscape in hardback that doesn't have the short Battleground in it? While the movie was playing I looked at every story in the book and it isn't in there.

I feel so let down.

Was it a story that was added to the paperback or what? Or did I get lucky enough to buy a book that didn't have the story in it and didn't list it in the table of contents either?

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
Battleground is in his other collection, Night Shift.

Almost false advertising, right?

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
did anyone watch last night's episodes?

You can't go wrong w/ William H. Macy. I liked the first one, but not as much as the 2nd.

I liked how they modernized "The End of the Whole Mess." I think the written story is better, but it was a fun episode.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
No wonder I didn't see it, I don't have Night Shift. It is misleading advertising is what it is. Like those dang Tag spray commericals. I bought one and was all prepared to have gorgeous women throw themselves at me but what I ended up having was men and grandma's throwing themselves at me. I tell you it wasn't pretty. A bunck of men fighting over me and little old ladies trying to tackle me to the ground and getting broken hips in the process.

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
Are you serious?? You mean those body sprays don't really work. I'm crushed.

"Night Shift" is an oldie but goodie. I think a few of those stories were made into movies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Night Shift

I had to fish through my collections to find Battleground. I have Everything's Eventual, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Night Shift, Different Seasons, Four Past Midnight, Hearts in Atlantis, and Skeleton Crew. Naturally, I picked up Night Shift next to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.