All who are vexed by writer's block, commiserate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Here I sit, days from my deadline, with only a sad, few, pitiful sentences written that will most likely be tossed out the window anyway. They pretty much reek, just so you know. They are my pathetic efforts to force myself into inspiration.

Is this the first time I have been asked to submit? Yes. Should I be stoked? Absolutely. What am I doing about it? Having a good old-fashined pity-party.

My muse packed her bags and ran off to the islands with my neighbor's sexy house-boy. Homewrecker.

I have a million reasons why I can't write on any given day. I bring my job home with me. The house is a disaster. I have to cook for everyone and by then, I am ready for a shower and bed. Too many people are around and i can't focus. The house is noisy. The phone won't stop ringing.

Any of these sound familiar to you?

Well, none of these are the case right now. I am alone here. The TV isn't on. The stereo isn't on either. Hubby is working out of town and the boys are at their dad's. I already had my dinner. Sinner already had her potty-walk and she's napping on the sofa. The only sounds, really, are crickets and the little tree frogs that like to go up and then hop to my third floor windows. It really is blissfully peaceful right now. OK, so the house is still a wreck, but aside from that everything is perfect.

So why can't I write? I certainly have enough inspiration to start a thread about why I can't write. I have returned several emails, too.

This is a big deal to me. To be asked for a sampling of my writing. My writing will be in this house's next publication which will be out next month. If I could get something wonderful written and sent in, I could be in their next one, too. Two in a row. That's amazing to me.

But here I still sit, wondering if this time next month I'll be full of ideas, past my deadline and full of self-loathing about it all.

*sigh*

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Chocolate! Now why didn't I think of that. Then again, the neighbor's house-boy has delicious chocolate-colored skin. That one might be a hard thing to fight against.

Last edited:

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
250598glOK_w.jpg

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
these are the moments that define the pro... or the poseur.

get your as$ to work or quit.

Cthulhu

Prince of Slumberland
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe he IS your dad...

*cue dramatic music*

I know your pain. I've been wanting to continue my story for a bit, but just haven't been able to...we should destroy the Muses' Union...taking vacations. Pssh.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i have had hundreds of freelance deadlines over the years, and i've never missed one. i've also never escaped feeling exactly the way you do now.

you just have to make a decision if you're going to find out what you're made of, or ***** out.

sorry... those are the only two choices once you've committed to write something for someone.

for what it's worth, i have faith in you.

(your dad sounds like a hell of a guy).

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
you can't say ***** here anymore? what if i'm talking about my ***** cat and not about hot lucious *****?

this is weak...

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Crap. You ARE my dad. There can't possibly be two people in this world with that talent.

Ok, fine. I'm off AW. As of right now.

Thanks for the faith. Maybe it'll grow on me.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
What do you expect from a guy with no flesh on his bones?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
i have had hundreds of freelance deadlines over the years, and i've never missed one. i've also never escaped feeling exactly the way you do now.

you just have to make a decision if you're going to find out what you're made of, or ***** out.

sorry... those are the only two choices once you've committed to write something for someone.

for what it's worth, i have faith in you.

(your dad sounds like a hell of a guy).

just for the record, I love it when you do that! and no, you can't say *****.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Carole said:
Here I sit, days from my deadline...To be asked for a sampling of my writing...

Performance anxiety. I get that all the time (robeiae, shaddup) before I have to submit something (like my weekly column). I couldn't think. I couldn't start. I was racking my brain trying to find a witty opening line...

What I usually do is just sit there and start writing.. whatever comes out. Maybe I will start with what I disliked about the movie... maybe what I thought about the stars... eventually, though, things will come to me. The less I stress about finding the perfect opening and trying too hard, the better I get.

And yes, I do like deadlines. If the deadline is tomorrow at 2 p.m., I will start writing at noon, knowing that 3 hours is too much time, and 1 hour is not enough.

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
And I thought I was having a bad time.

I'm at the climax of my serial. I've got the second to the last coming down in a knock-out fight, and I know what the end of the whole serial will be, but between the end of the fight and that...I'm hitting a steel wall (no dents).

And as my ticker implies, I have it due tomorrow.

GRRRRR:e2hammer: Going crazy here.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Carole! :)

I take it you have become accustomed to working under excessive pressure. This is not to say that you enjoy working that way only that you have become accustomed to it.

When a typical fast paced and hectic schedule (stress) is suddenly removed, it takes the body, mind and spirit time to adjust.

I have a feeling, tho I could certainly be wrong, that as the pressure of time running out draws closer, your muse will spring into a frenzy of writing.

Sincerely,
psy7ven

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Carole, just put the same kind of work into your project as you did into that post, and you'll do fine.

I am not Haskins's offspring.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
That's the problem, Reph. I put no work into that post besides going back to correct spelling. I still missed some of that anyway.

The good thing is that I did write last night. When I did my last word-count I was at the halfway point. Not bad for starting from scratch again.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I did it! ~happy dancing~ I did it I did it!!! I just hit that pretty little "send' button and off it went. Of course I am now officially REALLY late for work, but I got into the swing of things and just couldn't stop.

Now all I have to do is hold my breath and wait to hear back. Hopefully it wasn't too wretched!

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
*chuckle* deadlines make me write. So do rejection letters. Actually, most things make me write.

The trick is just to find a way to do it that spurs you on. On the days when I'm sluggish and I know that I'm going to tool around and waste hours, I'll go write my first few pages longhand, then type them in. The process of typing them in focuses me on my story, and then I'm off and away.

Even this rarely happens. It's harder than it sounds, but you just have to write. Minimize distractions. Remember, write with the door closed. Try writing on paper for a bit. It can help. Honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.