Use your noodle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
This came up at work today - is "use your noodle" to mean use your brain a dated expression, or regional, or ... Any answers? Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting, Arrowqueen - especially that the use for head predates the use for pasta. I checked my German dictionary and it only lists nudel as pasta (and of course, the more common spaetzle for noodles). Now I have to wonder how old pasta is. Puma

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Check with M. Polo-you know the chinese invented pasta to save their G.N.P

It is sad and passe-to use your noodle-or use Gay to describe a happy-swashbuckler kind of person-not that there's anything wrong with that

A. J. Luxton

Wibbly-Wobbly. Timey-Wimey.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ajluxton.com
I have no idea whether it is current or dated. I know I grew up hearing it a bit, and I'm not particularly old. Try a casual poll of friends and ask where they grew up and where their parents were from, perhaps -- that's what I usually do when investigating a regionalism or similar.

In other news, my last name is derived from the Yiddish surname Lockshin, meaning "noodle".

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
My 11-year-old son knows the phrase, and Nick Jr. has a "Use Your Noodle" activity pack for kids--so it's current among the younger set.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's popular on Sesame Street too. Elmo has a friend "Mr. Noodle" who isn't very smart. They have to remind him how to do things and "use his noodle."

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
To bring out my relentlessly irrelevant and seemingly creative side, perhaps it has to deal with actual noodles.

Noodles are quite useful things, just as the mind can be. You can use them in all sorts of dishes, in many different ways, each time producing a different taste. Maybe it's one of those sneaky suggestions to help you apply your mind to more situations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.