Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's pouring today, steady, hard rain all day long. Ordinarily I have the luxury of not having to go out when it's this awful, but today I had to run one errand, and I rediscovered a pleasure I'd forgotten about.

I love driving in hard rain, then going under a bridge, and back out into the rain again. My errand involved passing under a single bridge and a triple, and the abrupt silence, then the return to the rain pounding on the roof, is way cool. The three-bridge part was damned near musical!

What do you like about drenching days?

Maryn, whose hem is sopping

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Jeezum crow, lady. I haven't thought about Monroe County since college (I went to RIT).

As for the actual question? I hate pouring rain. I'd rather have driving snow than pouring rain any day. Though if I think enough to take off my glasses, it bothers me much less.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I hate rain. If I had been God I would have made the world in such a way that it only rains on things that need rain and never on people.

As a child I hated rain because you were stuck in the house with nothing to do, bored, bored, bored, BORED!

And a part of that child still rears it's ugly head when it rains.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I live in a Monroe county but not the same one as you, I don't think, and it is raining here today as well....

And yes, I love the absence of sound when you drive under the overpasses in a torrential downpour. AH - quiet!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes when it rains very hard, there's a sound similar to what a fire makes when it consumes dry wood. The best place to hear it is under the blankets in a warm bed, preferably with a friend listening along. This often leads to other sounds that drown out the fire in the rain.

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
I love to watch the dark blue/black clouds come through and see the thunder and lightning flash as it rains. It's really cool when the winds pick up. I have a dining room that is mostly windows, so I sit at my table and watch it come down.

Guess what I've been doing all afternoon. :tongue

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to send the kids out to play in the rain if it's not too cold out and put a pot of home made chicken soup on then warm them up when they come in.

As far as drinking in the rain, Maryn. Huh? But it made me laugh thinking about you drinking under a bridge in the rain.

Cabinscribe

Often ignored by muses
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Maryn,

I'm in Monroe County too!

After the commute to & from work today, with the poor visibility and hydroplaning, I almost (and I mean almost) would rather drive in snow!

We've been lucky that we haven't had the flooding that so much of NY has had.

The thing I like most about this kind of weather is curling up with a book and listening to the rain!

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I live in the desert, really. We have brief, very focused thunderstorms most summer afternoons that hit one side of the canyon but not the other. Some of these are storms in which the rain evaporates before it hits the ground. It makes for fabulous rainbows.

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
At work, when it rains good and hard, we stop moving heavy furniture and just sit in the trailer smoking cigarettes and talking bull$hit.

That's pretty right on.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in the Sonoran Desert, with similar weather patterns to ColoradoGuy's. I found day after day after day of sunshine and blue skies incredibly boring.

While I'd like fewer grey days, I like variety, including rain. However, by evening, when we learned our sump pump had failed and the (finished, including carpet) basement was wet, I liked it somewhat less.

Maryn, crossing her fingers for the rug to dry without mold or mildew

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I lived in Los Angeles for 7 years. I missed the rain and variety of season. It did rain there, but not quick showers periodically to make things fresh and clean. Instead, when it did rain, it would rain for two weeks straight, a long, cold drizzle. Ugh.

Now good rain is nice...One time at summer camp I stayed up all night, and at dawn it started to rain. I watched the rain moved across the sound, then across the grass, then over my head. I stood on the cabin porch and enjoyed the fresh morning. After a little while, the ripples stopped over the water, then the grass stopped moving, then the rain over head stopped. I saw the coming and the going of the rain. Very cool.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I love rain, I love storms. I love the looming black clouds that appear on the horizon, I love the way everything falls silent and still before the storm hits. I love the smell as the first rain hits, and the mist that comes off the ground when the rain starts pounding. I love dark, deep clouds that make you nervous looking at 'em, I love it when the sky turns a greenish color and the animals get jittery. I love the huge flashes of lightning, the thunder that shakes your house and rattles your windows. The sound hail makes, bouncing off the roof.

If the lightning isn't too bad, and the hail hasn't started yet, I always go for a walk in the pounding rain. I get so distractable, I can't help it, I have to go out. I put on a big heavy coat, and I let the wind and the rain blow around me. I've come up with a lot of climactic scenes in the rain. I love it.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Maryn said:
I grew up in the Sonoran Desert, with similar weather patterns to ColoradoGuy's. I found day after day after day of sunshine and blue skies incredibly boring.
But absolutely no mosquitoes. I HATE mosquitoes.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good point. My body chemistry makes me a mosquito magnet, too--nobody else will have more than one bite, and I'll have a dozen. After all the rain, there are sure to be more mosquitos in the coming weeks, breeding in standing water in yards, woodlands, and so on.

But not in our basement--the sump pump has started operating again!

Maryn, noting that there is much rejoicing in the land

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Take garlic pills or yeast tablets. That's supposed to keep them off.

I like to be snuggled up in bed with the wind howling and the rain battering off the windows.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
arrowqueen said:
Take garlic pills or yeast tablets. That's supposed to keep them off.

If it doesn't affect the mosquitoes, it should do a fair job with the human race... :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's more humane that beating them (the humans) off with a stick.

Maryn, no double entendre intended

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Maryn said:
It's more humane that beating them (the humans) off with a stick.

Maryn, no double entendre intended

But if you beat them wiht a stick, they break open and candy comes out!

....that was humans, right?

....right???

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the country, it is lovely, blue skies, green fields, and cool winds...be jealous! I hate rain, storms and especially lightening...give me terrible headaches!

Status
Not open for further replies.