Animal Babies - Got any?

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What's happened to our animal forum? Awfully slow the last few days, but I guess the rest of the boards are also. . .seems like anyway.

We have 4 baby kittens, some of which are going to have to go to new homes at some point. In the meantime, they sure are fun to watch.

I've noticed my teens will just sit and watch them and smile. . . there's just something about kittens.

Batting bugs seems to be a favorite pastime. One will bat a beetle bug, when it lands, another will put its paw on the bug. When the bug wiggles, the paw comes off and the bug is gone again. It's pretty funny.

They're also fascinated with each others ears. One or another of them always seems to be pouncing on a littermate's ear.

We also love to watch them pounce. Spy their prey, creep along, stop, shake their rear getting their feet fixed, run, and leap!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The other day I watched a group of bottle dolphins urging a newborn calf to the surface. She received some serious nudging, presumably from her mom, and sailed several feet above the surface before she returned to the pod. This occurred several times before the group sounded.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
We have three baby cardinals in a nest on our patio. They are still all mouth, pinfeathers and fuzz-covered belly, and their eyes are still closed, but in a few days, they should be fun to watch.

The nest is in a potted ficus, about 18" from a window, so we can watch them without distrurbing the babies or the parents.

Our bluebird babies must have fledged already. I haven't seen the parents entering the house with food for a few days. I'm guessing she is already laying eggs for a second brood.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're got baby ducks and geese all around the office park I work at (there's a large lake, plus some smaller ponds). The amble across the roads seemingly without a care in the world.

There was sure a cute picture of a little Red Bone hound up for adoption in the newspaper this morning. If only I wasn't gone so much . . . and if my cat would accept an odd little brother . . .

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Do adolescent rabbits count?

(I'm really missing the baby killdeer who took off w/ mom and dad.)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My almost-full-grown cardinals are still being given food by papa cardinal. These must be college student cardinals.

Last edited:

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
You mean like the great big house finches youngsters here who still quiver and squawl until mama or daddy pokes food into their beaks? Maybe they all go to the same college. :D

Nancy, yep, adolescent rabbits count! We've got some that creep along our driveway and cautiously venture into the yard. They're so tiny I can't believe they're left to fend for themselves when they're still so little.

Birds have no problem begging for food even when they're as big as their parents--and will follow the parents around relentlessly, carrying on like they're starving to death. lol

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
awatkins said:
. . . carrying on like they're starving to death. lol
Sounds like my cat. Every time I go to the kitchen here comes kitty. You'd think I never fed her. She had dry food out ALL THE TIME and cans of Fancy Feast in the morning and evening. And lettuce, for Pete's sake! Yes, she likes to have a bit of greens with her meal.

The things we do for pets . . .

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Mine (cat) decided yesterday to eat some of the dried broom corn out of an arrangement and promptly throw it up. He eats plant matter sometimes - asparagus ferns are a fave, but never ventured into dried stuff before. I don't think he's sick, just bored and seeking attention. Got to love it!

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd bring you up to date on our baby Cardinals. They left the nest day before yesterday and I haven't seen them, or their parents since.

Their flight training almost ended in tragedy. I looked out the window and counted only two babies standing on the edge of the nest, so I went to the window and saw the third baby sitting on the concrete. Our big, 100 lb Shar-Pei was sniffing the little bird and I was afraid she'd kill it before I could get outside. I don't know why I was worried...she's a big, oaf-ish, gentle giant and all she wanted to do was figure out who the little visitor was. She just looked at me and wagged her tail when I picked up the baby and placed him deep inside a thick shrub in the back yard.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Mine (cat) decided yesterday to eat some of the dried broom corn out of an arrangement and promptly throw it up.

This reminded me of one of the funniest stories I've ever heard about a cat. Years ago I was talking with a guy who had tried his hand at taxidermy. He said his best piece was a pheasant that had turned out great and he was really proud of it. He kept it in an enclosed cabinet with glass door. One day his wife was cleaning the cabinet, dusting, etc. and had set everything out onto the table. He looked around just in time to see their cat attack the pheasant, beating old billy hell out of it with teeth and claws, feathers flying everywhere. Needless to say, the stuffed pheasant didn't make it. I'm sure the cat wouldn't have made it either if the man had been fast enough to catch him in the heat of the moment.