Great achievers who went unappreciated during their lifetimes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for famous people who achieved great things, but mainly after their deaths.

For example, Cezanne struggled in poverty most of his life, yet his paintings now sell for millions. Same with Van Gogh. Mozart, while quite successful, died broke. I want examples of people who strove purely out of passion, not financial reward, and continued to do so even though they were never truly recognised.

I'd really like a fair selection from literature, music, sports, maybe even engineering (an inventor), etc. They can be from any age, as long as the guy in the street would know their name, even if not their circumstances. Any ideas please?

Cheers,
Steve

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anne Frank

Franz Kafka

Emily Dickinson

electric.avenue

Registered
Reaction score
You've already put together a great list, guys. Here are a few more:

Lise Meitner - was driven out of Germany in the 1930's because she was Jewish, and in exile in Sweden, interpreted Otto Hahn's data, finding out the the nucleus of the atom had actually split! One bright woman! I don't think that she was properly recognised in her lifetime.

Rosalind Franklin - Crick and Watson literally stole her data from her office at London Uni, and they took the credit for the discovery of the structure of DNA, and got the Nobel Prize. Franklin died shortly after this, and her contribution was not fully recognised until after her death. The Nobel Prize is not awarded posthumously.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Shakespeare.

Although he was well known in his lifetime as a popular playwright and actor, he was not lauded as England's greatest playwright until after his death. During his life, William Shakespeare was as well known as an actor as he was playwright. He acted as well as wrote plays for companies that included the Lord Chamberlin's Men and later, with accolades, the Kings's Men (women were not yet allowed on stage).

In his day, writers such as Edmund Spenser and Philip Sidney were considered to be a cut above Shakespeare. Fellow playwright and friend Ben Johnson was considered at the time as an equal if not superior talent to Shakespeare.

His widespread reputation as "The Bard" and appreciation for his Sonnets as well as plays came after his death.

Dpsi4

Registered
Reaction score
Tolkien? What are you talking about? He was popular in his lifetime.

Dickens is an example of somebody who went from popular to unpopular to popular again, if that helps.

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the ideas.

I have looked at Shakespeare, but some of the others are a little obscure. I was hoping for names that people might have heard of, even if they didn't know what they'd done.

Dickens is another I'd penciled in to research.

Tolkien - yeah, a university professor isn't really the kind of poverty-stricken, unappreciated artist I was looking for. Sorry.

Christ? I don't want to start a theological debate, but I'd prefer names that EVERYONE will agree actually existed.

It's easy with painters, but I'd hoped for a selection of contributors from different disciplines.

Cheers,
Steve

MyFirstMystery

Having Fun with Words
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Parker Follett

Not a well known name perhaps, but she was writing intelligently in the 1920s about management principles that have only been recognized in the last 10 years. She first talked about "constructive conflict" for example. They call her the prophet of management.

MFM

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I've no idea about Lovecraft at all. Will have to do some research.

Van Gogh - sorry, I mentioned him in my initial question.

Follet - sorry, but not exactly a household name.

This was just a minor idea that two characters referred to in passing - I may re-think that and have them discuss something else. I never thought it would be so difficult to come up with household names from a variety of disciplines.

Thanks anyway, guys.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.