Slang, Americanisms and lots of niggling little details…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score

Hi,

I’m writing a book set in the States - the problem is I’m British. I know we all speak English, but… Yep, it’s those darn trunk/boot, elevator/lift, panty hose/tights kind of problems. Can I beg the indulgence of you folks over the water to give me a hand with some of the words and phrases I’m struggling to get to grips with, please?

There are also some odd, trivia questions, too. Any help with those will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking at this.

Cheers,
Steve
  1. Does the US use the phrase ‘My shout’, meaning, for example, ‘it’s my turn to buy a round of drinks’? (Not only drinks. It could be just be an offer to pay for something.) If not, what’s the equivalent?
  2. December 26 – in the UK, it’s called Boxing Day. Does it have any special name in the US?
  3. Due process – how is the term used? Is someone held in custody ‘awaiting due process’?
  4. I need the name of a fairground ride that spins, so could make your head spin, too. Is it a ‘Tilt-’n’-whirl’? The best one here would be a Waltzer – a number of 4/5 seat booths on a circular, undulating track, which the fairground guys spin round by hand to increase the fun. (A little more hectic than Disney’s Teacups!)
  5. Is there a McDonald’s anywhere in the US that delivers?
  6. A gurney is collapsed to allow an accident victim to be lifted onto it, but is that the correct terminology? Is it a collapsed/folded/lowered gurney?
  7. A UK living-room or lounge is the room in the house where the family relax together on the couch to watch TV, etc. What’s the most commonly used US name for this room?
  8. What’s the most popular chain store at which to buy the kind of posters students might hang?
  9. Here, credit card companies send out monthly statements. We call them… ‘credit card statements’. (No fooling!) Is it the same term in the US?
  10. A ‘staff room’ is a room for the staff of a company to use for breaks, etc. What’s the US name?
  11. What’s the term for sending a text message (SMS) on a cell phone? We’ve invented a new verb - we ‘text’ someone.
Thanks again.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1) I've got the tab
2) It's called December 26th. Or the Day of the Great Present Return (but I'm joking there)
3) Due process is basically the whole process of arrest/trial/conviction - someone else might do better on that one than I can.
4) Hmm, been awhile for me - ??
5) HAHAHAHAH! Um, no.
6) Sounds fine to me
7) We call them Family Rooms
8) not quite sure there
9) We just call them Bills
10) Break room
11) Texting is pretty universal.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
This will vary by region given the size of the US, I am in Indiana and aware of these things as a non-native (New Zealander)

Does the US use the phrase ‘My shout’, meaning, for example, ‘it’s my turn to buy a round of drinks’? (Not only drinks. It could be just be an offer to pay for something.) If not, what’s the equivalent?

They would likely understand it but I do not hear it used here. More often my round, my turn etc

December 26 – in the UK, it’s called Boxing Day. Does it have any special name in the US?

I don't hear that phrase used here.

Due process – how is the term used? Is someone held in custody ‘awaiting due process’?

No sure, I think they are in mid 'due process' as they will have already been read their rights and arrested, any evidence will have been collected etc.

I need the name of a fairground ride that spins, so could make your head spin, too. Is it a ‘Tilt-’n’-whirl’? The best one here would be a Waltzer – a number of 4/5 seat booths on a circular, undulating track, which the fairground guys spin round by hand to increase the fun. (A little more hectic than Disney’s Teacups!)

Not sure

Is there a McDonald’s anywhere in the US that delivers?

Yes. larger cities

A gurney is collapsed to allow an accident victim to be lifted onto it, but is that the correct terminology? Is it a collapsed/folded/lowered gurney?
A UK living-room or lounge is the room in the house where the family relax together on the couch to watch TV, etc. What’s the most commonly used US name for this room?

Not sure on this one.

What’s the most popular chain store at which to buy the kind of posters students might hang?

Variable. More an indy store thing although Walmart or traget would have them.

Here, credit card companies send out monthly statements. We call them… ‘credit card statements’. (No fooling!) Is it the same term in the US?

Yes, although you may opt to go fully online

A ‘staff room’ is a room for the staff of a company to use for breaks, etc. What’s the US name?

Same, possibly 'break room' in stores.

What’s the term for sending a text message (SMS) on a cell phone? We’ve invented a new verb - we ‘text’ someone.

same text/texting

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Things vary from place to place in the US, and by age group as well. Here's my take on your questions. I live in the southern part of the US.

Does the US use the phrase ‘My shout’, meaning, for example, ‘it’s my turn to buy a round of drinks’? (Not only drinks. It could be just be an offer to pay for something.) If not, what’s the equivalent? I'VE NEVER HEARD IT USED. MORE LIKELY, "MY TURN" OR "THIS ROUND IS ON ME" OR JUST "I'M BUYING THE DRINKS".

December 26 – in the UK, it’s called Boxing Day. Does it have any special name in the US? WE'VE HEARD OF IT, BUT WE DON'T CELEBRATE IT. ALL OF OUR ENGLISH FRIENDS EXPLAIN IT TO US . . . AND THEN WE PROMPTLY FORGET UNTIL THE NEXT YEAR.

Due process – how is the term used? Is someone held in custody ‘awaiting due process’? I WOULDN'T USE THE TERM EXACTLY THAT WAY. I THINK OF IT MORE AS SOMEONE'S RIGHTS UNDER OUR LEGAL SYSTEM. SOMEONE ARRESTED HAS THE RIGHT TO "DUE PROCESS" UNDER THE LAW.

I need the name of a fairground ride that spins, so could make your head spin, too. Is it a ‘Tilt-’n’-whirl’? The best one here would be a Waltzer – a number of 4/5 seat booths on a circular, undulating track, which the fairground guys spin round by hand to increase the fun. (A little more hectic than Disney’s Teacups!) THERE IS A "TILT-A-WHIRL" HERE. AND A BUNCH MORE; I'M NOT ALL THAT FAMILIAR WITH THEM.

Is there a McDonald’s anywhere in the US that delivers? I DON'T KNOW OF ONE. MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE DOES.

A gurney is collapsed to allow an accident victim to be lifted onto it, but is that the correct terminology? Is it a collapsed/folded/lowered gurney? I WOULD USE "LOWERED" BUT ONE OF THE FOLKS HERE WHO WORKS IN MEDICAL WOULD KNOW BETTER.

A UK living-room or lounge is the room in the house where the family relax together on the couch to watch TV, etc. What’s the most commonly used US name for this room? LIVING ROOM IS THE MOST COMMON, BUT SOME HOMES HAVE A SIMILAR ROOM CALLED A DEN OR FAMILY ROOM. A DEN IS A MORE "INORMAL" KIND OF LIVING ROOM. LOUNGE IS NOT USED HERE. SOME HOUSES NOW HAVE WHAT'S CALLED A "GREAT ROOM".

What’s the most popular chain store at which to buy the kind of posters students might hang? TOWER RECORDS PROBABLY, BUT MOST UNIVERSITIES HAVE BOOKSTORES NEARBY THAT SELLS THINGS LIKE THAT.

Here, credit card companies send out monthly statements. We call them… ‘credit card statements’. (No fooling!) Is it the same term in the US? YES, OR CREDIT CARD BILL.

A ‘staff room’ is a room for the staff of a company to use for breaks, etc. What’s the US name? "BREAK ROOM" IS MORE COMMONLY USED.

What’s the term for sending a text message (SMS) on a cell phone? We’ve invented a new verb - we ‘text’ someone. THEY "TEXT" OR "TEXT MESSAGE" HERE TOO – WAY TOO MUCH IF YOU ASK ME . . . WHICH YOU DIDN'T.

Last edited:

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Steve:

Here are some answers that may help out:

1. Does the US use the phrase ‘My shout’, meaning, for example, ‘it’s my turn to buy a round of drinks’? (Not only drinks. It could be just be an offer to pay for something.) If not, what’s the equivalent? I've never heard that phrase before. If someone here is buying they might say "drinks are on me" or if buying dinner for everyone they might say "my treat" or "I'm buying".
  2. December 26 – in the UK, it’s called Boxing Day. Does it have any special name in the US? No, we don't observe Boxing Day
  3. Due process – how is the term used? Is someone held in custody ‘awaiting due process’? Correct.
  4. I need the name of a fairground ride that spins, so could make your head spin, too. Is it a ‘Tilt-’n’-whirl’? The best one here would be a Waltzer – a number of 4/5 seat booths on a circular, undulating track, which the fairground guys spin round by hand to increase the fun. (A little more hectic than Disney’s Teacups!) I know which one you are describing but don't know the term. . .its been a while LOL. Actually that one may be called a Tilt n Whirl here also. That one is actually sitting on a base & stays on the ground. There is one called the Cobra, some may call it the Octopus, where the seats hold 2 or 3 and you're up in the air and the cages with seats spin as the entire ride spins.
  5. Is there a McDonald’s anywhere in the US that delivers? Not that I'm aware of. Pizza places deliver. . .Pizza Hut, Dominos, etc., but not any McDonalds that I know of.
  6. A gurney is collapsed to allow an accident victim to be lifted onto it, but is that the correct terminology? Is it a collapsed/folded/lowered gurney? Only ever heard it referred to as a gurney.
  7. A UK living-room or lounge is the room in the house where the family relax together on the couch to watch TV, etc. What’s the most commonly used US name for this room? Living Room, some folks may call it a Den. If a home only has one such room, I'd call it a living room. Some people may have two such rooms but, if so, the living room would be the more "formal" of the two.
  8. What’s the most popular chain store at which to buy the kind of posters students might hang? In my area it would be Walmart or Hastings (a book/music store). If your setting is in a large city someone else might have a suggestion.
  9. Here, credit card companies send out monthly statements. We call them… ‘credit card statements’. (No fooling!) Is it the same term in the US? Same here
  10. A ‘staff room’ is a room for the staff of a company to use for breaks, etc. What’s the US name? Staff room or Break room. Have even heard them called the Lounge. More likely one of the first 2 though.
  11. What’s the term for sending a text message (SMS) on a cell p hone? We’ve invented a new verb - we ‘text’ someone. I wondered who thought that up! We also "text" someone.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Alleycat is right. That ride is a TILT A WHIRL, rather than Tilt N Whirl. I think it is the equivalent to your Tilt N Whirl as you described it.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Since some proper answers have been given ...

1. Does the US use the phrase ‘My shout’, meaning, for example, ‘it’s my turn to buy a round of drinks’? (Not only drinks. It could be just be an offer to pay for something.) If not, what’s the equivalent?

"Welfare."

2. December 26 – in the UK, it’s called Boxing Day. Does it have any special name in the US?

"JCPenny After Christmas Blowout Extravaganza Sale."

3. Due process – how is the term used? Is someone held in custody ‘awaiting due process’?

See "Guantanamo Bay"

4. I need the name of a fairground ride that spins, so could make your head spin, too. Is it a ‘Tilt-’n’-whirl’? The best one here would be a Waltzer – a number of 4/5 seat booths on a circular, undulating track, which the fairground guys spin round by hand to increase the fun. (A little more hectic than Disney’s Teacups!)

"White House Policy."

Next door to the Clintons' home in Westchester, NY.

6. A gurney is collapsed to allow an accident victim to be lifted onto it, but is that the correct terminology? Is it a collapsed/folded/lowered gurney?

A "Paris-Hilton-Go-Anywhere-Copulation Mat."

7. A UK living-room or lounge is the room in the house where the family relax together on the couch to watch TV, etc. What’s the most commonly used US name for this room?

"ESPNZone."

8. What’s the most popular chain store at which to buy the kind of posters students might hang?

"Head Shop."

9. Here, credit card companies send out monthly statements. We call them… ‘credit card statements’. (No fooling!) Is it the same term in the US?

In the American vernacular, "Ye Olde Credit Carde Statements, Guv."

10. A ‘staff room’ is a room for the staff of a company to use for breaks, etc. What’s the US name?

"Solitary Confinement."

11. What’s the term for sending a text message (SMS) on a cell phone? We’ve invented a new verb - we ‘text’ someone.

Our verb is "Blumpkin-ing"

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Steve W said:

Hi,

I’m writing a book set in the States - the problem is I’m British. I know we all speak English, but… Yep, it’s those darn trunk/boot, elevator/lift, panty hose/tights kind of problems. Can I beg the indulgence of you folks over the water to give me a hand with some of the words and phrases I’m struggling to get to grips with, please?

There are also some odd, trivia questions, too. Any help with those will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking at this.

Cheers,
Steve

I've not he
Thanks again.

As others have mentioned, this is a diverse nation and some may use terms that others would not. It might help to know what region of the US that you have as a setting but here's my two cents worth.

1. I've never heard it called "my shout" but "I'm buying" "My round" "I'll get this one".
2. I have always called December 26 Boxing Day but then I was influenced by my Granny. It's also called St. Stephen's Day or the Feast of Stephen if you're Catholic - which I am.
3. You've got this one down already.
4. Tilt-a-whirls have multiple cars (big, rounded and open on one end) that will hold about 4 people. The cars go around a track and each one also spins at intervals. A Scrambler might be more what you're thinking about - this spins in a wide circle with smaller cars that also spin. The Scrambler is not quite the same as an Octopus. You might look up some American theme parks that have carnival type rides. One I just visited is called Celebration City and is located in Branson, MO. A Google search should turn it up.
5. Some major cities only
6. Gurney is the term that I am familiar with - couldn't think of any other!
7. I was raised to call it "living room" or "front room" but both are considered a wee bit old-fashioned by many Americans who prefer "family room" or "den". I would hazard a guess, though, that "living room" is still more common that some may think!
8. Major chain bookstores or ecceltic shops in most malls would sell posters.
9. Yes, same.
10. Staff room, break room, employee break room
11. "text" or "text message"

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score

Here's one more reply, so you can average out the responses.

1. Drinks come in "rounds".
2. December 26 - Boxing Day. This is not a US holiday. (But they do celebrate it in Canada). Most people go shopping at "After Christmas" sales.
3. Due process - same term used in US.
4. Tilt A Whirl
5. McDonalds does not deliver. (I live in a big city (6th largest), and I've never heard of a McDonalds that delivers.) The most common delivery food is Pizza. Pizza Hut and Dominos are national chain delivery services. Small/independent pizzerias also deliver locally. It's also fairly common to have Chinese food delivered but that is usually from a local independent restaurant, rather than a chain.
6. I don't know the answer to this one.
7. Family room, Den, Living room. (and we most commonly lounge on a couch or sofa)
8. I remember getting posters at music stores mostly.
9. Credit Card Bill. I've also heard statement used.
10. Break room, Lounge, Kitchen (if there is a sink and microwave), Staff Room.
11. We text too.

Hope this helps! My favorite confusing UK/US slang term is "knocked up". In the US it means pregnant. I think in UK it means tired? Big difference!

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for all this, guys. a really great help. Just a couple of points I'd like to follow up on, please.

The gurney question - I worded it poorly. I meant what's the correct word to describe a gurney that's been collapsed to the floor to allow someone to be lifted onto it. Is it a collapsed gurney, a lowered gurney, a folded gurney? I get the idea it's probably a lowered gurney, yes?

There seems to be some disagreement over whether McDonald's ever delivers. (I did email the company, but got no answer! Probably thought I'd dropped something as it would've been the early hours in the US.) Has anyone actually taken delivery of something from them to say conclusively?

Oh, and Pomegranate - knocked up means the same here. The two you don't want to get confused over are fanny and fag (over here - vagina and cigarette).

Thanks again. Good luck to all of you.
Steve

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Steve W said:

Does the US use the phrase ‘My shout’, meaning, for example, ‘it’s my turn to buy a round of drinks’? (Not only drinks. It could be just be an offer to pay for something.) If not, what’s the equivalent?

"My treat" or "Next one's on me".

December 26 – in the UK, it’s called Boxing Day. Does it have any special name in the US?

You'll sometimes see calendars proclaiming it to be Boxing Day, but it's not a US holiday and is usually called "the day after Christmas" if it's called anything at all.

Due process – how is the term used? Is someone held in custody ‘awaiting due process’?

As someone else mentioned, "due process" refers more to the whole journey through the justice system. Someone who's in custody would be awaiting a more specific step in the process, such as a hearing or being charged or having bail posted or being assigned a public defender or something like that.

I need the name of a fairground ride that spins, so could make your head spin, too. Is it a ‘Tilt-’n’-whirl’?

Tilt-a-whirl. But fairground rides aren't necessarily called the same thing across different fairs. It depends on what the company providing the rides calls it.

Is there a McDonald’s anywhere in the US that delivers?

Not that I've ever seen. Veinglory says they do in larger cities; if so, I'd bet New York would be the only place. I live in the Los Angeles area -- a big city by anyone's definition -- and McDonald's does not deliver. New York is a law unto itself though, so they may deliver there.

A gurney is collapsed to allow an accident victim to be lifted onto it, but is that the correct terminology? Is it a collapsed/folded/lowered gurney?

Of those choices, I'd use "lowered gurney", but if you're referring to someone who's being loaded into an ambulance, I think "stretcher" would be more appropriate. "Gurney" is more a hospital term than a rescue crew term.

A UK living-room or lounge is the room in the house where the family relax together on the couch to watch TV, etc. What’s the most commonly used US name for this room?

Lots of choices -- den, family room, TV room, great room, media room. "Family room" would probably be considered most common.

What’s the most popular chain store at which to buy the kind of posters students might hang?

My co-worker, who's still in college, buys posters at Spencer's, Tower Records and, for anime posters, a place called Simply Kids, which may or may not be a chain.

Here, credit card companies send out monthly statements. We call them… ‘credit card statements’. (No fooling!) Is it the same term in the US?

It's called either a statement or just a bill.

A ‘staff room’ is a room for the staff of a company to use for breaks, etc. What’s the US name?

Break room or break area.

What’s the term for sending a text message (SMS) on a cell phone? We’ve invented a new verb - we ‘text’ someone.

We text someone, too.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Steve W said:
Hi,

Thanks for all this, guys. a really great help. Just a couple of points I'd like to follow up on, please.

The gurney question - I worded it poorly. I meant what's the correct word to describe a gurney that's been collapsed to the floor to allow someone to be lifted onto it. Is it a collapsed gurney, a lowered gurney, a folded gurney? I get the idea it's probably a lowered gurney, yes?

There seems to be some disagreement over whether McDonald's ever delivers. (I did email the company, but got no answer! Probably thought I'd dropped something as it would've been the early hours in the US.) Has anyone actually taken delivery of something from them to say conclusively?

Thanks again. Good luck to all of you.
Steve

What Innskeeper said on the gurney. It's just a gurney, so you can describe it however you please.

As for whether a McDonalds delivers, first you need to tell us whether your story is set in a city or small town. I've lived in several small towns (and worked at a McD's in one) where if the staff knew of an elderly person or shut-in (medical) who liked the food, they would take a phone order and deliver, even though it wasn't "policy." McD's are franchised over here, meaning that an individual/company OWNS the store. They have to follow guidelines for food quality and store cleanliness to keep their franchise license, but things like deliveries would be up to the owner/manager.

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Cathy C, it's set in New York. Does that help?

Also, I suppose if a guy's loaded, which one of my characters is, and prepared to make it worth someone's effort, you can get pretty much anything you want delivered.

Still, I would like it to be simply a service, if possible, not something you have to take out a loan for.

Cheers,
Steve

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
On occasion, some independant companies run delivery services where they will pick up take out orders at various restaurants for a small fee. My understanding is that such companies are completely independant of the restraunt.

Some more thoughts...

#3 often tends to come up more in lawyer-talk than normal conversation. It's something that would appear in legal disclaimers and such. Someone in jail before a trial would just as likely be described as "awaiting trial."

#4 - Most theme parks are likely to have their own names for such rides.

#8 - Chains in the US are often somewhat regional.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Innkeeper said:
He Would a wealthy person eat something as obviously plebian as a McDonald's hamburger? There .

Bill Clinton was known to have a taste for McD's burgers and he isn't poor. Most of us poor folks might consider him wealthy. Such preferences might depend on the background of the wealthy character and on personal tastes as well.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My tuppence:

In our area in emergency medical services, we refer to the gurney as a "cot." I was in EMS for 12 years, my husband still works professionally as a paramedic. As Innkeeper says, they do "raise" and "lower" it.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
For question #1 - it is rare for Americans at a bar to rotate rounds of drinks.

I know how it is in Ireland and the UK, but Americans tend to be less pub savvy. Also, so many Americans drink signature drinks or have limited tolerance or funds that they prefer to care for themselves.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's less common. I will usually order for a group of 3, but rarely pay a round and expect the next to get picked up, because often it won't be.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Steve W said:
Hi,

Cathy C, it's set in New York. Does that help?
New York City or New York state? Very different level of service, amenities, and access to McDs.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
MattW said:
For question #1 - it is rare for Americans at a bar to rotate rounds of drinks.

I know how it is in Ireland and the UK, but Americans tend to be less pub savvy. Also, so many Americans drink signature drinks or have limited tolerance or funds that they prefer to care for themselves.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's less common. I will usually order for a group of 3, but rarely pay a round and expect the next to get picked up, because often it won't be.

I've noticed this. I've even tried to explain that if I want to buy a round to thanks folks for something they should *let* me--but they won't. It's very frustrating.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Shwebb said:
My tuppence:

In our area in emergency medical services, we refer to the gurney as a "cot." I was in EMS for 12 years, my husband still works professionally as a paramedic. As Innkeeper says, they do "raise" and "lower" it.
There may be some regional differences on this one. In my experience, "gurney" usually means the wheeled cart in the hospital: "stretcher" or sometimes "litter" is the more common term with the EMS folks out here in the mountain West and Great Basin area. The up/down/raised/lowered/collapsed question really doesn't matter -- any would do.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ColoradoGuy said:
There may be some regional differences on this one. In my experience, "gurney" usually means the wheeled cart in the hospital: "stretcher" or sometimes "litter" is the more common term with the EMS folks out here in the mountain West and Great Basin area. The up/down/raised/lowered/collapsed question really doesn't matter -- any would do.
That is true, here, actually--the gurney is the wheeled bed used to transport people inside the hospital. We use "stretcher" here as a term for something without wheels, like a backboard, that has to be carried or dragged, like a scoop stretcher, for rescue purposes. I don't hear "litter" used much here--I'm in southwestern Ohio, close to Columbus.

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Excellent answers guys.

[SIZE=+0]Just want to say a big thanks to everyone who's contributed. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]The star prize goes to Veinglory for finally nailing that nasty McDonald's poser - Do they deliver, don't they deliver, do they, don't they... This board's probably never seen such controversy.[/SIZE]

A great help.
Thanks,
Steve

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Steve W said:
Hi,

Excellent answers guys.

[SIZE=+0]Just want to say a big thanks to everyone who's contributed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]The star prize goes to Veinglory for finally nailing that nasty McDonald's poser - Do they deliver, don't they deliver, do they, don't they... This board's probably never seen such controversy.[/SIZE]

A great help.
Thanks,
Steve
Ha! You should have seen the discussion on "circumcision". Or better yet, check out the Take It Outside forum.

Just an additional comment or two. Since McDonald's is a world-wide franchise, you may think Americans eat at McD's all the time. Some do, many of us never do. I don't myself even though there's one a couple of miles from my house.

And, while I don't know where you're hoping to submit your story, it would still seem odd to most American readers to have a McDonald's that delivers. I'm not really surprised that they do in NYC, but it would still cause me to pause at first if I came across it in a story. Is it really important that it be a McDonald's?

Status
Not open for further replies.