Still exhaling anesthesia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Someone really should invent some kind of anesthesia that has both a pleasant taste and smell *cough * *cough* ..

Anyway, I came here to share my story with all of you. Why? because the story is true and because I am still under the influence of drugs.

where was I? Oh yes...

Saturday eve, I made a post to Christine N. In this post I stated that the next day (being Sunday) would make an excellent day to take a break and do something different.

From there I proceeded to state the following:

I think I'll take my own advice and do something different as well. I don't know what that will be yet. I'll figure it out tomorrow. Perhaps I'll be spontaneous for once and see what happens. I wonder if I even know how to be spontaneous. lol what if I spontaneously combust? Now THAT would be different. :D

I didn't combust however, it seems that my left kidney decided to spontaneously let loose with a stone that became lodged in my ureter causing it to dilate (to what looked like) the diameter of a garden hose! Weeeee how's that for spontaneous?

Despite my excruciating pain, I found that I was not able to spontaneously go the hospital like any sane person would have done. Oh no, you see...I had to shave my legs first. Shaving my legs was of critical importance considering that I work with the people who were about to treat me. No way was I going to let them see my hairy legs! I don't care how bad I was hurting. I'd rather be in pain than embarrassed. *shrug*

To make a long story short, the stone refused to come out on it's own. The doctor told my husband that it was big and long and shaped like an arrow head. Oddly enough, I've been wanting to go arrow head hunting lately. Little did I know that my kidney was making me one!

Good news is that the arrow head has been broken up. The bad news is that I still have several stones in both kidneys. Maybe I was an Oyster in a past life.

Pardon any mistakes I may have made. I have been juiced up on Morphine, Demerol, Versed, ...after that I lost count.

psy7ven

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks William. I have a stent in place now. I get the joy of having that removed on Friday.

Mostly I am upset because I've been doing all I know to take good care of my kidneys and yet they are making stones like crazy. It worries me.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
You sure know how to turn just about anything into an adventure. I've heard stones can be awfully painful. Take care of yourself and I hope it all passes soon.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
hopefully they can identify the cause and composition and get you fixed up. i'm chronic and untreatable.

i passed 6 between last september and christmas.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Do you eat a lot of nuts? My good friend just went through this and was told to back off on nuts, of which she had a heavy diet.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Some have described the pain of passing a kidney stone as an 11 on a scale of 1-10, in which 10 represents pain so bad that one would rather die than experience it again. That's why God made narcotics (glad to read that you got some) -- better living through chemicals.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that you are chronic William. That is a bummer. Looks like I might be joining the chronic ranks myself.

When I got the ER I told them I was a 7. The nurse who triaged me knows me pretty well and she said, "You look like a 10."

That is the only time anyone has ever told me I was a 10 which is not exactly the context in which I had hoped to hear it but... it did land me the biggest buzz I've ever had in my life! Oyeeee

Wish I could get rid of the anesthesia taste and smell.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
My mom was like that... used to get them all the time (at least annually). She used to have to get them surgically removed, too. They kept telling her to drink lots of water and stay away from cranberry juice. For whatever reason, they finally stopped.

Hope you're feeling much better soon and that the stones never come back.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Jenna,

Hopefully William and I will somehow have a good turn like your mother did. :)

The doctor told my husband that he thinks they are calcium stones. I will know more on Friday when I go for my follow up.

I won't know what to do if they are calcium stones because I am supposed to be taking calcium supplements for my osteopenia.

Ehhh enough pouting on my part. I get sick of listening to myself complain. After all, isn't that what husbands are for? lol

Time for me to go reap the benefits of being in a sickly dependent role. I wonder how long I can get away with it before my husband makes me start doing for myself? ... I even get first choice TV privileges tonight!! :D

Goodnight All,
psy7ven

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ailing folks, remember there is high drama to be had in hospitals. Not that I hope anybody needs to visit one any time soon, but observing what goes on around you can both distract you from your pain and give you some terrific ideas.

Maryn, healthy so far--today, anyway

Tricksie-ish

Registered
Reaction score
As for the hairy legs issue: I am a nurse. Nurses have pretty much seen it all, so to speak. Your hairy legs are not a problem!
I hope you feel better soon.
Enjoy the legal high!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I am sorry for your pain, but I am Lol-ing about shaving your legs. I had a ruptured appendix, but before I could go to the ER I had to shower and shave my legs - because heaven forbid that the coroner would get a glimpse of my hairy gams!

Hope you feel better soon.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
for the record, i never shave my legs before going in for emergency treatment.

i do, however, douche.

Tricksie-ish

Registered
Reaction score
Haskins, we nurses DO appreciate that sort of prep! It makes the sponge baths much easier.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm so glad I found this thread before I went off to make myself something to eat.

Ye Gads. I hope I never have stones. That sounds terrible. I cannot imagine living life and always having stones on me.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Kidney Stone Got Stuck club ! The first thing they told me in the hospital was "This will only be your first, honey."

The drugs are mighty fine, though :)

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Poor you. My friend suffers from those. I've seen her on morphine and it didn't even touch the pain.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to work tomorrow. I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea of working with a group of individuals who have seen the sunny side of my disposition. Know what I mean?

If any of them so much as makes a wise crack, I'm gonna crack em' back with a reflex hammer. :D

I love my co-workers.

Did you know that while I was on Morphine and Demerol, I saw Froud characters coming from the the wood grain patterns on the the door to my room. That was fun.

I don't have a very high tolerance for medications especially when it comes to narcotics. Narcotics cause my sleep paralysis to get much worse. I had 5 episodes of sleep paralysis last night. That was not fun.

psy7ven

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back to work so soon? I hope you're feeling better.

Trust me, Froud characters beat Kafka nightmares any day!

Status
Not open for further replies.