What is your daily quiet time like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else struggle with this? I am working through a study guide on prayer but it seems like I have to hit the ground running and struggle to fit it into each day.

Ann

Rachael

**Engaged**
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlsadvice.7.forumer.com
Daily quiet time? What daily quiet time?

I usually either wake up from a nightmare sweating/crying/screaming/all of the above and heave a sigh of relief as I whisper, "It was just a dream-- Thank You!" Or I say a simple prayer as I'm brushing my teeth.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My almost-daily QT is like no other time during the day. It's early in the morning, before the family (or even the sun, sometimes) is up. It's so quiet I can lose myself in a time warp as I read, reflect, pray, listen, and write. I read the One Year Bible since I like a sampling from the OT, NT, Psalms, and Proverbs each day. Sometimes it's done in 20 minutes, but usually it goes much longer, especially when it inspires me to write. I am so refueled by this time, though sometimes hectic mornings push it to later in the day. It's the best part of my day, though, whenever it happens.

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
One year Bible? I bet that's cool. I tried the "read through the Bible in a year" project at church, started about when Baby 2 was due, finished when Baby 3 was potty trained ... But at least I did it!

I try to take a break mid-morning after chores but some mornings there's not a break.

ann

M Paul

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loveofchrist.info
Psalm 63:1,2
O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.

I think it depends on how thirsty one is for God. That thirst makes a big difference in a spiritual life in regard to how things happen.

M Paul

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
I need a more structured prayer time, because I do more personal prayers but want to include more people.

I read a devotion and pray in the morning (at my computer, because I get daily devotions online.)

I also pray at night, in bed. I also pray throughout the day, as things occur to me, but those aren't planned.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
M Paul said:
Psalm 63:1,2
O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.

I think it depends on how thirsty one is for God. That thirst makes a big difference in a spiritual life in regard to how things happen.

M Paul

MP, What a beautiful thought. Intrestingly enough, I quote the first few lines of Psalm 63 in my second novel SONS
"Jan arrived at Saint Sebastian Monastery at six o’clock the following morning. He stopped, closed his eyes and cocked his head as he listened to the monks chant Lauds, translating the Latin in his head: Deus, Deus meus; ad Te de luce vigilo, “O God, Thou art my God; early will I seek Thee.”
The plain, haunting Gregorian melody pulled him back to his childhood at
Philadelphia’s Saint Dominic’s Academy, and mornings like this, the choir singing the first Mass of the day. What ever happened to those innocent days?"

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
My quiet time is a bit different, in that it's done late at night, right before I go to bed. As far as the Bible we use (not that anyone cares!), for study my wife and both use the Amplified. She also reads that one for pleasure, while I like The Message. I suppose over all we probably have thirty or so different translations in our bookcase (crazy charismatics, y'know...)

M Paul

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loveofchrist.info
CityMouse,

I like your sentence structure and rhythm. Very nice.

Gravity,

In regard to your many Bibles, as a Classical Pentecostal talking to a (crazy?? maybe not) Charismatic--are there any Pentecostals or Charismatics involved in those translations?? Hmm--is that why all the passages on the power of God and the leading of the Spirit have been changed, according to a dynamic equivalency theory of translation?? I'd take another look at things.

If you find the KJV difficult, try the NKJV, or maybe this one.

http://www.kj21.com

M Paul

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Paul: we own a Dake's KJV study Bible, and he was a Pentecostal (my wife and I were saved in a Pentecostal church :::mumblety-mumble:::: years ago, and the Dake's is the first Bible we bought). As I said, we've got a bunch of them around the house, including NKJV, an old Living Bible (now falling apart), Good News, Amplified, Arthur S. Way, Jerusalem, even a Cottonpatch. The Cottonpatch isn't a complete Bible (the translator died after only doing the Gospels, Hebrews, and some of Paul's letters), but has to rank as the most unusual version I've ever seen, much less own.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
M Paul said:
CityMouse,

I like your sentence structure and rhythm. Very nice. M Paul

M Paul, Thanks for the kind words. While I've not experienced the situations my MC does, I feel his reactions/emotions are probably close to my own.

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone use music in their DQT? My study guide urges singing but also notes that since we might not be gifted singers, DQT is probably best done on one's own ;) I listen to Gospel CDs but sometimes hum through the hymnal.

Ann

SeanDSchaffer

Most days, I get up and make myself a pot of coffee, and the first words out of my mouth are, "Good morning, Lord", or "Good morning, Daddy".

After that, I just talk to God throughout the day. I admit I don't read my Bible much, but when I do, it's usually either the KJV or the NIV.

In my entire life, I've read through the Bible one time, and it took me several years. But it was very rewarding.

I hope you'll forgive my rambling, but I only just finished my second cup of coffee, and I'm still not fully awake yet.

:Coffee:

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I don't have trouble finding quiet time right now, as I have no children and I am home alone during the day. My problem thus far has been finding a bible study guide that I "connect" with. I've tried online groups, with no luck. I have a couple books on request at the library and am currently working through "The Purpose Driven Life" (which I highly recommend, it's great!). I read the bible here and there and my prayer occurs throughout the day.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
It isn't exactly quiet time, but two tricks I use are "The Magnificat" --a daily devotional that is mailed out monthly and that I keep in the car for when I have to wait to pick up my kids in carpool, and when the kiddos are in the car and things are rough, saying a decade of the rosary,with each Hail Mary being for someone or something, the kids get into the dedications.

Quiet time is a required part of the day, like an exercise routine, writing routine, diet and budget, it has to be conciously chosen and worked into the day if you want it to be there every time. Still haven't figure out how to make sure I get quiet time, exercise and writing done in the same day....

Status
Not open for further replies.