Editing Process?

msterw85

Hello,

I am just finishing up another novel. I've written many works, but never got to the point to get them published, but now seems like a great time. I am very interested in learning how the editing process works. It would be great if anyone could give me an overview of what to expect when working along with an editor. Thanks!

John

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
John, are you interested in learning more about working with an editor at the publishing house that acquires your book, or are you talking about hiring a freelance editor or "book doctor" to work on your manuscript? If you can be a bit more specific about your question, we can be a bit more specific with our answers. The basics are the same, but the details vary.

Cheers,
Kristen

msterw85

Hi,
Probably about the editor at the publishing house that would aquire my book, i'm very very new at this . Thanks, John

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi John,
When an author is picked up by a publishing house (and I'm speaking of nonfiction here, since that's what we publish, although I imagine the general process of editing fiction is probably pretty similar), an editor is assigned to your manuscript. He or she will read it and request revisions, then send it back to you with a deadline for completion. You'll revise according to their suggestions and comments, and send it back in. The editor will review the changes, see if it's okay to move to the next stage, and either okay it to go to the next step (layout), or send it back to you for more revisions. the process repeats itself, and then the book goes to layout, you'll see proofs, the book goes back for changes, goes to the printer, and is published. I've shortened the steps somewhat and didn't include any of the marketing or publicity work that's involved, but hte mechanics of the process are here. Please let me know if you have other questions.
Thanks,
Lauri

Doctor Shifty

Press Any Key
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.users.tpg.com.au
Another thing to consider is to read a book on self-editing. There are a couple that are often recommended on AW. Even if you are not particularly interested in editing your own work, such a book might answer some of your questions.

I've had material pass by two different editors. One of them made comments of a more general nature about the works and so I re-wrote portions as we emailed back and forth until the stuff was ready for publication - published Feb '06. The second editor, on a work currently in process, returned a fully pencilled MS and several pages of notes. In some ways this is easier to deal with, even though it seemed more critical/negative when I opened the envelope.

I imagine the approach is different for anyone you might end up working with.

Kim