PDA

View Full Version : Out of my league...anyone has any advice?

Goddess
07-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking these pages for quite some time and I must admit that I am somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of published authors that contribute to this forum. However, I have written a full blown romance novel and here are my questions.

This novel came to me on a whim. I wrote it pretty much all at once and now I am actually considering what to do with it. The problem is, I think it crosses genres. For the most part, it is a chick-lit type, but I do think that my sex scenes (there are only two and they are back to back) are mild erotica. It does have feeling and emotion, but I go on and on (4-6 book pages per scene) and I think I may have gone a bit overboard. The trouble is, I enjoy writing sex scenes and even though I have considered writing an all erotica novel, I don't much care for that angle.

I hope I am making sense here. Excuse me for rambling, but I am a mere mortal with a window in my life which had some creative juices flowing. I gave my ms to a few friends and they could not put it down. Is that a good sign or are they just interested because some characters may have been loosely based on them.

If anyone can throw me a bone out there, I would very much appreciate it. But keep in mind that my biggest problem is those sex scenes. Should I tone them down?

Branwyn
07-09-2006, 09:31 AM
If you've gotten 'impartial' positive feedback as is, I'd leave it. I have some sex scenes in my WIP, but they're not graphic--they're more 'Romance Novel' type sex, but not. Ah-- it's late --I can't explain it...I'll blame it on the retrograde.

Another words, I think erotica is more explicit.

reph
07-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Down the page a bit, there's a thread "Does there HAVE to be a sexual payoff?" that ought to help answer your question. Sex scenes are required in some categories of romance and forbidden in others.

Susan Gable
07-09-2006, 05:49 PM
For the most part, it is a chick-lit type, but I do think that my sex scenes (there are only two and they are back to back) are mild erotica. It does have feeling and emotion, but I go on and on (4-6 book pages per scene) and I think I may have gone a bit overboard. The trouble is, I enjoy writing sex scenes and even though I have considered writing an all erotica novel, I don't much care for that angle.

?

It's not the number of pages the love scene goes on for that makes it more erotic romance, or erotica. (Two different things.) It's the terms you use. :) (Okay, that's an oversimplification. <G>)

Many standard romance novels these days have more graphic love scenes. Check out Brava from Kensington. Then there are places like Ellora's Cave, which specializes in erotic romances.

You're going to have to do some homework (which will involve finding which publishers publish something like your book, and reading a number of those books to be sure you're targeting the right place) before you start submitting. But I don't see it as a problem at all. (Unless you don't do your homework and submit it, to say, Love Inspired, or another sweet publisher/line like Avalon, which doesn't allow sex in its books. Then you will have a problem.)

Welcome to the boards, and good luck!

Susan G.

Cathy C
07-09-2006, 08:19 PM
What Susan said! :)

Any line that lists in its guidelines "steamy," "sexy," or "hot" should be the ones to approach first. Some of the obvious choices would be Kensington's new Aphrodesia line, Harlequin's Blaze or Spice line, or Ellora's Cave. I've created a list of publishers (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19454) that includes links to guidelines as a sticky on the top of this form. There are plenty of others, but these are ACTIVELY seeking sexy stories. The chick-lit element, which is a TONE, rather than content, would probably work just fine.

Good luck, and :welcome:

Gillhoughly
07-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Find a writer with books similar to what you've done, ask her if she would mind sharing the name of her agent, and send the MS to that person, following their guidelines.

The agent (or an editor) will be the best person to decide where to best place it and if your nookie is perfect as is or needs editing.

I crossed genres too in my books, but they found a place on the racks.

Good luck!

Goddess
07-10-2006, 04:32 AM
Thank you so much for the advice and the warm welcome. You guys are awesome. I was not going to do anything without research and homework, but I just wanted to get your opinions as you seem to know what you are doing.

Thanks for the kind words and support. See you around the threads. Cheers