Harlequin NEXT turnaround time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elspeth.celtichearts.com
I sent a ms to NEXT five months ago and have yet to heard back from them. I included an SASE for all the material to be returned. But, I think where I mailed it from used metered mail for the return and I've read since that publishers can't send back material in metered envelopes.

Does anyone have experience with NEXT? Since it's been five months should I assume they're passing on it?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Couple of interesting questions here, Laurie.

Does anyone have experience with NEXT?

I don't personally have experience with them, and those I know who DO were "insiders", meaning they moved from other lines at H/S (Harlequin/Silhouette), which would affect the response time. But I'll ask around on some of the RWA chapters I belong to to see if anyone is debuting there.

Since it's been five months should I assume they're passing on it?

NEVER presume any publisher is passing because you HAVEN'T heard from them. Really, nobody throws away submissions at Harlequin. Five months isn't very long in the real world of publishing, as agonizing as it seems when you're waiting. Hang in there! :)

I've read since that publishers can't send back material in metered envelopes

I haven't heard this and I can't imagine that the editors would even worry about it. They'll stick it in the SASE and put it in their out box for the mail room to deal with. But it IS possible that if the meter pre-dates the calendar date it's actually shipped, it will require special handling at the post office. I'll look into that and report back here, because I know of other people who have done this. Still, it's wise (for the future) to use stamps for SASEs. :)

Anyone else here have any insights into NEXT?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Don't sweat the postage. They'll just take care of it.

Sometimes the longer something is there, the better. It means they didn't reject it out of hand. Never assume they're passing on it because it's been there a while. Those piles they have to wade through can be pretty high.

If you don't hear back before I go to RWA National in 17 days (not that I'm counting or anything) I can ask there.

Susan G.

jbayley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennabayleyburke.com
I think the general HQ goal is 6 weeks on a query, 5 months on partial, 9 months on a full. But I read that on a blog somewhere, so who knows if it is true - though it has been my experience.

At the 6 month mark you can send a follow up email or postcard to make sure they have it on file.

Laurie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elspeth.celtichearts.com
Thanks so much guys. I believe I've stumbled upon a nest of kind people.

Truthfully, I don't know what to think about the ms. It was my first and it got politely chewed up by a start-up press editor. So, I made the easy assumption NEXT just tossed it in the trash.

But I did wonder as to their practice of responding to ms's. I had the impression they were more the respond to everything kind of place.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Just a quick update on the postage issue. I went over to the USPS website and searched through their Mailing Guideline Manual. I looked under the postage meter requirements first. Postage meter strips and prints (where the ink is directly on the envelope) CAN be used for reply mail. In the case of reply mail, the date the postage is purchased shouldn't appear.

However, nowhere in the "Treatment of Mail" section, where a postal employee determines whether the mail is lacking a feature that would make it undeliverable or returnable to sender, does mis-dated mail appear. It's also not a consideration in whether the mail has "proper postage affixed".

Finally, in the event of SELF-addressed mail, any potential violation would merely make it returnable to the SENDER--meaning you. The postal worker would have no way of knowing what other entity deposited it at the post office.

In other words, don't worry about it (but I'd still suggest stamps in the future. The treatment might well depend on what the clerk had for breakfast that day... ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.