NYC gun laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
NYC gun laws are pretty strict, roughly a 6-month waiting period for a purchase permit. I'd like to get around that, if at all possible.

The idea is that a character needs to get a handgun, and quick. Now, under what kind of risks would gunsellers be willing to illegally sell? If my character offered some kind of bribe, what would it take for it to be worth the gunseller's risk in the case they were caught?

I don't know how plausible it is, and willing to work around the issue if it's completely ridiculous. But I'm thinking there's got to be at least one dirty seller in all of NYC. A bigger problem being the character would probably have to stumble upon him randomnly, but that's for another day.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe this is correct, but you'd want to verify it.

Individual sales in NY state do not have to meet the same requirements as those sold by dealers or at at a gun show. The buyer is still suppose to meet the requirements for firearm possession in NYC -- which are Draconian.

So, if the buyer is not concerned with meeting the law anyway, they could easily buy one from an individual (probably outside of NYC) and take it to the city. I'm assuming by quick, you mean within a day or two.

Of course, with enough money, you can buy anything you want anywhere.

Last edited:

the1dsquared

Dave Diamantes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deadpenpals.com
Katiemac, go to www.packing.org for a rundown on handgun laws by state. Legally buying/owning a handgun in NYC is almost impossible unless you are politically connected. In the rest of the state it is very difficult. If your character needs to get one they would have to do it illegally by purchasing from an unlicensed individual (street thug type) or go out of state which is a violation of federal law. Transfers to out of state buyers must be through federally licensed dealers, ie. someone from NY could buy from a dealer in AZ, but the transfer would be between the AZ dealer and the NY dealer (and would have to comply with state laws also).

As far as a NYC gun dealer being willing to skirt the law for $$ would be far fetched. He'd be out of business and prosecuted to the hilt. Why would he take such a risk? More plausible is buying from the local dope/gun/stolen goods dealer on the street. Another possibility is to go out of state and buy illegally and bring it back. Either way, your guy is taking quite a risk and the kind of people that would do business with him/her would have to be pretty rough characters.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far.

As far as a NYC gun dealer being willing to skirt the law for $$ would be far fetched. He'd be out of business and prosecuted to the hilt. Why would he take such a risk?

That was my original thought. It didn't really make sense that the gunseller would skirt the law, but wondering what amount of $$ could make it worthwhile. For example, the gun runners charging upwards 400-500%.

Some really great links, though. The best thing about asking a question about something that probably won't work out is getting a bunch of different ideas for what more likely will.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.