Historical Novel - Ancient Prologue Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Now that I've found out that a lot of you on this board are interested in prehistory, I have a question re: my historical novel WIP.

My novel is about a small portion of the midwest from the time the land was granted by John Adams until the end of the War of 1812. The novel is about the small portion of land and the settlers who settled on it.

I wrote a prologue that covers the probable/possible native American visits and habitations in the area starting at the end of the last Ice Age and coming up in about 1500 year jumps. In each segment, there is an artifact or type of artifact easily identifiable with the time period which is later found by the settlers.

My question: Is the prologue basically of interest only to me? (Because the archaeology of the area is one of my passions.) Would a Pre-history prologue detract from a novel about early settlers with Revolutionary War backgrounds and their sons who fought in the War of 1812?

This question is a hard call for me because I am too wrapped up in all of the story. I'd like very much to hear your thoughts on the subject. Puma

the1dsquared

Dave Diamantes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deadpenpals.com
Puma, how about doing a test? Post the prologue (or the first part of it). We'll read it it and answer this question: If I read the prologue at the airport newsstand before a flight, would I buy your book or put it back on the rack and buy another. Dave

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Posting - Prologue and Chapter 1

Hi the 1dSquared (aka Dave)- I hadn't thought of that idea. What I'm going to do is post the prologue (about 3K words) and Chapter 1 (a little over 2K) in share your work as Puma Pro and 1 (I guess Other is the best category to use). Read as much as you want of both or either and give me some feedback. Thanks, Puma

Last edited:

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Puma, if you're having an artefact from pre-history that is found by the settlers, then you're in good company. Red Shift, by Alan Garner, is set in 3 different time periods in the same place; Roman, English Civil War and modern, and the characters are linked by a stone axe head that appears in all the time periods.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read the excerpt and posted my comments in SYW for you.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Bardskye, et al. Sometimes it's really hard to get far enough away to be objective. I appreciate your help. Puma

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I will read & comment tomorrow. I ended up having to work today (don't usually work on Saturdays, just when I'm really needed) and my eyes are tired.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed the prologue. I'd read the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.