Status
Not open for further replies.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
First, I have to admit I've yet to read any Koontz. But the other day I watched Sole Survivor, his little mini series thingymabob. And I couldn't help thinking over and over 'this reeks of King!'

Is it just my imagination or does anyone else think the same thing?

I just did a very brief googling and found that Koontz's first book came out in the late 80's as opposed to Carrie which was published in what? '74? So maybe he was just heavily influenced by King.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think they write much alike. King is a great writer, but I actually enjoy reading Koontz's work more. I guess he could have been influenced by King, but I really don't think their styles are all that similar.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Okay, yea, I figured I didn't have a leg to stand on seeing as how I haven't read Koontz yet. I probably just picked up on the ideas...there was a part about how children speak "wow, coool!" and how when the adults would do (wow coool!) it it just felt like something Stephen would have done. Thanks.:)

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, Koontz was published a lot earlier than the late '80s. His _Demon Seed_ was published by Bantam in June, 1973. Part of the confusion may stem from the fact that he wrote under a lot of pen names before settling into the success of the Koontz name.

His first published novel was science fiction, in 1968. He also wrote romance under another name.

I really prefer his Brian Coffey books (_The Face of Fear_) etc., to the later Koontz.

Mo

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
King for me, he's brilliant. His stories are brilliant. His style is brilliant. He's simply brilliant.

Koontz has nice stories. I've only read two books by him though. Both were awesome stories. With both I disliked the writing. That's why I stuck with King.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Okay, I am going out this week into the 'city' and picking me up a Koontz book so I can say something halfway informed. We have two bookstores in town that sell English books; very, very few English books mind you. But aside from the How to Origami in English and Best Bars in Tokyo we do have a decent (??) selection of best sellers. So that is my goal for Monday.

King. What amazes me about Ol Steve is that he hooks you. You read and then you just want to keep reading. I mean I remember thinking to myself, My gosh he is just going on and on about popular music in the 70's or how much the main character loved the book Lord of the Flies or something and I STILL can't put this thing down.

When I read On Writing I finally realized what a genius he really was!

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
MMo said:
Actually, Koontz was published a lot earlier than the late '80s. His _Demon Seed_ was published by Bantam in June, 1973. Part of the confusion may stem from the fact that he wrote under a lot of pen names before settling into the success of the Koontz name.

His first published novel was science fiction, in 1968. He also wrote romance under another name.

I really prefer his Brian Coffey books (_The Face of Fear_) etc., to the later Koontz.

Mo

WOW! I didn't know that!

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
I've read way too muck of the Koontz stuff, and if you read a bunch of his books they start to seem very similar or to utilize many of the same themes. If you haven't already bought one, I highly reccommend 'The Taking' to anyone who reads this. It's one of his best.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
King/koontz

madderblue said:
First, I have to admit I've yet to read any Koontz. But the other day I watched Sole Survivor, his little mini series thingymabob. And I couldn't help thinking over and over 'this reeks of King!'

Is it just my imagination or does anyone else think the same thing?

I just did a very brief googling and found that Koontz's first book came out in the late 80's as opposed to Carrie which was published in what? '74? So maybe he was just heavily influenced by King.

You need to read Koontz. You can't judge anything from a mini-seies, or a movie. Directors and screenwriters do whatever they like. King and Koontz have radically different styles, and darned few of their novels are anything alike. I wouldn't even call Sole Survivor horror fiction. I wouldn't call a great deal of Koontz's fiction "horror."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Koontz

My favorite Koontz novels are the Christopher Snow novels, beginning with "Fear Nothing." His earlier novels are mostly horror, and I think "Phantoms" is the best. I also love the way Dragon Tears is written.

His more recent novels have moved away from horror somewhat, and more into what might be called "weird suspense." I like them even better.

As Mo says, Koontz has published under many pseudonyms. They include:

Leigh Nichols
Anthony North
Owen West
David Axton
Aaron Wolfe
Brian Coffey
Richard Paige
John Hill
K.R. Dwyer
Deanna Dwyer
Bill Munster
Joe Lansdale

You may recognize several of these. I'm told there's at least one other pseudonym that Koontz still writes under, but that hasn't yet been discovered. As prolific as he is, generally putting in sixty or more hours per wekk, there may still be several pseudonyms out there waiting to be discovered.

At any rate, I love his writing, and some of the stuff he's doing right now is incredible, and truly different.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Oh my, the guy has too many names! Why so many?

I mean I can understand failing and having to restart with a new name, publishing in different genres and using different names. But 20 pen names?

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Okay, there is one thing that they have in common...they are both quite prolific!! :)

I look forward to delving in! And, yes, I should have known better than to even think a movie would be similar to a book.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
names

Forbidden Snowflake said:
Oh my, the guy has too many names! Why so many?

I mean I can understand failing and having to restart with a new name, publishing in different genres and using different names. But 20 pen names?

When you write sixty hours per week, and you write fairly fast, pseudonyms are a must. And when you enjoy writing in more than one genre, pseudonyms are also often a must. Koontz has always written in multiple genres.

I think Harlan Ellison has more than two dozen pseudonyms.

Some writers talk about Butt-in-Chair, and some practice it religiously.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Ok, so those are actually different genres?

And no, if you write so many hours/books pseudonyms aren't a must. Koontz sells, so if the books are all horror, I'd figure it'd be great to use Koontz, no?

But of course, as I said above, if in different genres it makes sense to use different names. I'd be horrified to pick up a Koontz and find myself reading a spaceship adventure.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
King and Koontz are responsible for me wanting to write. I'm a big fan of both those fellows. I wonder if they're fans of each other?

I started reading both of them in high school, and I agree with what jbal said, about Koontz' themes, books all blending together when you read too much. I put him down in the mid 90's and only in the last year have I returned to his novels and it's like falling in love all over again. He's a master storyteller. And the details that they both choose fill me with awe.

I'll tell you what brought me back to Koontz. I was reading "Plot and Structure" by James Scott Bell, and he kept referring to "Midnight" by Dean Koontz. Like, over and over and over again. So I finally thought, okay, Mr. Bell, I'll frickin read it. Off to the library, read it one sitting, went back to the library and got another, went to the basement and pulled out the hardcovers, hit Amazon...I got re-hooked. He's one of the few writers I can read and just immerse myself in the story. I never think "Oh, that's an odd word, or cut it with the dialog tags, or do ya have another adverb in ya?" I can just read, and I love him for that experience.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Forbidden Snowflake said:
Ok, so those are actually different genres?

And no, if you write so many hours/books pseudonyms aren't a must. Koontz sells, so if the books are all horror, I'd figure it'd be great to use Koontz, no?

But of course, as I said above, if in different genres it makes sense to use different names. I'd be horrified to pick up a Koontz and find myself reading a spaceship adventure.

Koontz does use a different pseudonym for each genre, but if you're too prolific you may need a pseudonym, even for a single genre. In most genres, it's bad business to have too many new books out with your name on them. You do not want your own books competing with each other.

Just because the Koontz name sells a horror novel does not mean it can sell six horror novels at the same time. Sales drop way down when a writer gets too many new books out at the same time. At most, a given writer can come out with four books per year, and this is really pushing the limit. Any more than this, and you'll probably have to use a pseudonym. And sometimes, with some publishers, two books per year is the limit they want to release under the same name.

Many a prolific writer has faced this problem. Soem writers use a pseudonym and write in another genre, but some also use a pseudonym within the same genre.

This can also happen with short stories. Some years ago, one of the SF magazines published an issue wherein every story was written by the same writer, but a different pseudonym was used on each.

The funny thing is that many wrote letters to the editor saying they liked this new writer, hated that one, and found another just all right, even though all the stories were by the same writer.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
That is fascinating about the SF Magazine doing that. It never fails to amaze me the many and varied sides to writing. And the pyschology of it all!! That never fails to blow my mind.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Oh, stopped by the bookstore and they only had four Koontz books. I recognized The Taking (jbal recomended it I think) so I got that one. Should finish Under the Eye of the Clock tonight and will start The Taking. I love reading as much as writing. What a wonderful world!

AnnMB

Living in a Dream World
Registered
Reaction score
I like both King and Koontz, but as I get older, I tend to favor Koontz. King is definitely more graphic than Koontz, and is, in my view, the epitomy of a horror writer. Koontz is a little softer, and some of his work borders on scifi (i.e consider the concepts in "The Corner of His Eye"). In fact, I read somewhere that Koontz does not like to be considered a horror writer. Both have a fabulous knack for turning characters into genuine people. I know some will scoff at either King or Koontz, saying they are not "literary" enough, or are too formulatic (hmm...is that word?) But I have great respect for both gentlemen, and am in awe over the sheer number of books they publish.

breena

Registered
Reaction score
Website
groups.msn.com
I love both of these writers, but have an affinity for King. To me they are like apples and oranges. King's characterization and dialogue keep me turning page after page. I can 'see' Kings descriptions of the guys hanging out in front of the general store in outback Maine, as opposed to 'reading' how the palm fronds look in Orange County.
Its a definite each to their own.

I have to say that the first 'real' laugh I got from Koontz was in Velocity (which many people didn't enjoy)regarding the garden gnomes and the roof top incident.. That was pure 'funny' lol

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
One reason I had never read Koontz before is because a friend of mine said she read 'something' by him about a 'dog' and it was so absolutely disgusting she couldn't even finish it. Then she went on to tell me he was just a real graphic horror writer. And I believed her and clucked my tongue as I passed over his name on the bookshelves.

Could she have possibly been thinking of King's Kujo?

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
I had no idea that Koontz wrote under so many pseudonyms!

Glad I popped in here.

And I think the Koontz book about a dog is The Watchers, which I thought was pretty decent.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
madderblue said:
One reason I had never read Koontz before is because a friend of mine said she read 'something' by him about a 'dog' and it was so absolutely disgusting she couldn't even finish it. Then she went on to tell me he was just a real graphic horror writer. And I believed her and clucked my tongue as I passed over his name on the bookshelves.

Could she have possibly been thinking of King's Kujo?

I find King to be far more graphic than Koontz. Maybe I've missed it, but nothing in Koontz has struck me as over the top graphic. His books are usually pretty mild.

Status
Not open for further replies.