PDA

View Full Version : Worked for a magazine?

Scrawler
07-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi everyone-
Hope this is the right place to ask-- anyone worked for a magazine? I'm looking for info on the advertising sales, ad production, the not-so-glamorous end of selling ad space, deadlines, etc. (not the "devil wearing Prada" stuff)
Thanks!

MichelD
07-08-2006, 03:37 AM
I worked for a trade union publication for five years.

We sold ads because it was the fishing industry, so we had ads for fuel stations, boats, nets, saftey equipment, radios, engines, all kinds of stuff.

I don't know much, but basically the ad guy would be calling regular customers selling ads for the next edition andt rying to get new ones.

Scrawler
07-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks!
What did you do there?

Bamponang
07-09-2006, 03:25 AM
Here's what i learnt working for pubs ( re the advertising sales stuff) and buying advertising space from magazines as comms manager

1) The pub has detailed editorial calendar that outlines upcoming themes
2) based on theme, the editorial team decides on content and assigns articles
3) Publication decides what the % split of advertising and editorial is content is, so they sell space according to that spec. Some pubs even know how many full page, half page and quarter page ads they want to sell.
4) The sales team contacts people whose business interests are related to theme to sell advertising/sponsor specific supplements. Usually you know who will want back inside page, or front inside. Some clients insist on certain placement and wont buy unless you can guarantee them this placement.
5) Also contact those who have previously advertised but don't have contract that automatically includes them in issue.
6) Sales team also get qualified leads - strangers that they would sell to for the very first time

Deadline for signing contract and copy deadline set separately.

Depending on size and budget of company, you as advertising salsperson deal directly with company, or with PR company or with media buyer from advertising agency.

Depending on publication and branding policies of the advertisers, advertising copy may be delivered to magazine and a small design team would develop an advert for a small fee, or the PR company provides the full advert on disk.

Sometimes getting copy is hard because people committed to taking the ad, and they really want it, but they haven't yet worked out what they want to say. Usually these are small clients.

When buyer sends copy/text for magazine to make advert inhouse, it can sometimes be so bad that it has to be rewritten, especially if company wrote copy instead of using PR company or profesional copywriter. Then you have to find diplomatic way to tell them copy has to be redone, and that can be fraught with danger if CEO approved copy and insists that's what he wants to say.

A colleague said the other day: it's the smaller guys who demand the most, pay as little as possible and complain the loudest.

I liked dealing with agency best, because they send complete advert ready for printing, and their brand instructions are clear ( I once received 2 books and a CD explaining the many ways I was permitted to use logo of a large fuel company)

Once advert is designed it's sent to client for final approval and signature. You never go to print without that piece of paper signed, because what if they decide, after it's been published, that they don't like the advert and never approved it?

Sometimes editorial and advertising collide - for example, I recently wrote a negative story about a company that advertises with us, What I didn't know was their contract wa sup for reneal, and negotiations were taking place.

They retaliated by halting negotiations, trying to get pub to take back what was said. But the story was factual, and eventually they came back to negotation table. Imagine being the sales guy, who earns commission only, and your major deal is endangered like that by a journalist.

I hope this helps.

Scrawler
07-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Very cool! Thanks Bamponang. Just the sort of info I was looking for.
Thanks to you and also to MichelD

kayak
07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Bamponang's info is 'right on'. Some pubs pay a base salary, plus commission. Much depends upon the type of pub you have in mind. I was international sales and marketing director for a group of national business publications. In the international arena our strength was in giving clients creative ideas on how best to reach our readers through their advertising.
Case in point: one advertiser, new the market, spent a million dollars with zero response because he failed to realize that his location was the important thing he was selling, and the thing he never clarified in his ad.
Ad sales people who know the editorial product and readership well are the big money makers. Good luck.

kayak
07-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Bamponang's info is 'right on'. Some pubs pay a base salary, plus commission. Much depends upon the type of pub you have in mind. I was international sales and marketing director for a group of national business publications. In the international arena our strength was in giving clients creative ideas on how best to reach our readers through their advertising.
Case in point: one advertiser, new the market, spent a million dollars with zero response because he failed to realize that his location was the important thing he was selling, and the thing he never clarified in his ad.
Ad sales people who know the editorial product and readership well are the big money makers. Good luck.