I am aaaaaaaaaaanxious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Because...my best friend lives in Florida and we met online (weird, I know, but I do have plenty of real life friends to keep me busy...I'm not like, crying for help or a loner or something...) and her dad's a trucker so he's driving her up here (Massachusetts) and they're in Pennsylvania and I'm anxious! I mean, we talk on the phone all the time and everything, but it's different in person. Like, what if she thinks I'm fat and doesn't want to have anything to do with me because she thinks I'm fat?! Or something. And anyway, if she isn't here by today, I think I'm going to have a heart attack, and this is altogether likely, because she is South African and doesn't really know the states that well so she didn't tell me where in PA she was and then she shut off her phone! So she could be anywhere between 5 and 10 hours away, and if they have to get another load to Boston somewhere in PA, and what if that takes a long time.....and I'm feeling very stressed out.......

:( <-- this is the moral of my story

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Just stay away from South African slang and cuss words like Git-which means pregnant cow-not sure whether it is one t or two-so what is wrong with fat-it is in the eye of the beholder.

I just kind of sort of know you Mddle and I think you are cute-sassy-intelligent-and an all around good type of gal-I know you may not care but we do-Daves

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so excited for you!! Relax, after the first minute or two, I'm sure it will be like you've known her all your life. Your friendship is genuine, even though you've never met in person. I admit I'm biased...one of my dearest friends in the world I just met online (a writer's forum) a year and a half ago, and I'm going to get to meet her in 4 months! She's coming for a visit all the way from Australia, and I absolutely can't wait. She's a gem.

Hope your visit is very special!

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It'll be fine.

If you think she'll hate you because she might think you're fat... you've made a bad friend!
So don't worry Nancy, things will work out.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, well, she's lived in the US for like, eight years...she just doesn't know anything about America. It's kind of funny, like, she doesn't know who any of the presidents before like, Jimmy Carter. For instance, George Washington...

I don't know. Like, there isn't really anything to be anxious about, but I am anyway. Like, I know she won't think I'm fat, or that I have a gross house or something (I don't have a gross house, and I've been obsessively cleaning it for two weeks now...), but I guess maybe I'm a little afraid we won't get along or something, but I know we will. It's so annoying how our brains seem to always find things to worry about.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
A heartwarming story, by Pete.

I had had a friend on the internet for a good many years, whose name I will be nice and keep off these boards. We shall therefore call him Wilbur. Now, Wilbur was a writer, albeit not an exceptional one, but he had good ideas and he was a fun person to talk to. We were friends for many, many years, through thick and thin, all that. We spoke on the phone a great deal, we were as brothers unto each other. You know. All that.

Anyway, here I am going to get married. So I says to myself, I says, "Self. Wilbur shall be my best man. This is interesting and different." And so we make the plans for Wilbur to come up.

A month passes between plans being made and Wilbur coming up.

During the intervening month, Wilbur went through all sorts of exciting life turmoil stuff, the sort of things which turn up in Lifetime movies just before the bit where the man oppresses the woman. He went from a quiet nice guy to a bit of a jerk with a thing for cars, beer, and woman, three things he had none of and knew nothing about.

He turned up for my wedding, he was irritating, generally impossible, he slept on my couch for a week, he attempted to stay behind in my apartment after my wife and I were leaving on our honeymoon, and he hinted very strongly that perhaps it would be fun were he to come along on our honeymoon with us. He also offered to stay with some of my real life friends (who were as taken with him as Londoners were with the pox) until we got back.

The moral of the story is......um.......I'm not helping at all, am I?

I'm sure she's wonderful. Certainly, you are. It'll be fine. :)

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Gee, thanks, Peedee. You really HAVE helped......but see, her name is Anthea, which is so not a jerk name.

And I'd be the one sleeping on the couch, haha.

Temlyn, if I sound like you, and you've been here and it's worked out, then I'm good....right?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Mdlle. Nancy said:
Gee, thanks, Peedee. You really HAVE helped......but see, her name is Anthea, which is so not a jerk name.
And I'd be the one sleeping on the couch, haha.
Temlyn, if I sound like you, and you've been here and it's worked out, then I'm good....right?

Anthea is a very cool name, thinks me.

Pete, who is not a motivational speaker for a reason.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heartwarming story, PeeDee :D (not to mention reassuring!)...

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
Anthea is a very cool name, thinks me.

Pete, who is not a motivational speaker for a reason.

Tcha, who do you think you are, Maryn? Anyway, it IS a cool name.

If you plan on becoming a motivational speaker, do it within the next two years, because that'd be a great assembly.

Badducky, if I clean your house...will it make her think I'm not a slob?

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
If you clean my house, I will think you're not a slob. Anthea will think your not a slob. And, my 2nd aunt for whom I am house-sitting will think you are not a slob.

I, on the other hand, just arranged to meet the lovely young lady at HER house because I can't imagine what would happen if she walked over here...

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Notice how I managed to totally blow "You" "Your" and "You're" in every way possible.

Man, it's too early in the morning for grammar. I'm going to get some coffee.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe, then, I should just open my own maids service. My slogan can be "Hire me so my friends don't think I'm a slob!"

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
PeeDee, I'm sorry for your horrible experience. :Hug2:
Mdlle. Nancy said:
You're good. No worries.

One of my bridesmaids was a girl I had met in real life only a few months before my wedding; we were friends online for several years before.

And hey, I met my husband online, too!

There's just as much danger meeting someone on the street as there is with meeting someone online. People need to be discerning.

I'm sure she's a great gal, and I'm happy for you that you've found such a great friend! :Hug2:

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
TemlynWriting said:
PeeDee, I'm sorry for your horrible experience. :Hug2:
ou're good. No worries.
One of my bridesmaids was a girl I had met in real life only a few months before my wedding; we were friends online for several years before.
And hey, I met my husband online, too!
There's just as much danger meeting someone on the street as there is with meeting someone online. People need to be discerning.
I'm sure she's a great gal, and I'm happy for you that you've found such a great friend!

(er. I should point out that I mostly thought it was funny, and I still do.)

You'll let us know how it goes with Anthea, won't you?

She's not going to come on these forums and see this thread-full of creepy people talking about her, is she?

Rachael

**Engaged**
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlsadvice.7.forumer.com
Two of my friends on another message board just got engaged last week! We've all known each other mutually on several different message boards since... gosh... 2002? It feels like so much longer than it actually has been. I'm convinced that Internet time goes by much, much faster than RL time. ;)

Anyways, I'm trying to convince them to plan the wedding for after I turn 18, so I can fly out there. I'm really excited; I don't go to all that many weddings, and most of the ones I have been to have been for couples of whom I know very little (if anything!) about their dating relationship. This time, however, I was around when they first realized they wanted to go out with each other and meet each other in RL, and hopefully I'll be around for their RL wedding!

So I think it's very possible for online relationships to do well in RL. Just look at Brian and Jessica!

I hope that helps, Nancy. :)

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Bf and me started our relationship online because we live on opposite ends of the city, and since school was out, we couldn't see each other every day. That's how we started liking each other. Weird, I know.

We're trying to get our relationship back to RL now, but since we still live on opposite ends and neither of us drives, it's hard :(

But you'll be fine! If you talk on the phone a lot, that's an advantage!

Status
Not open for further replies.