Enjoying Cosies?

texttussi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.Zeit-fuer-Erfolge.de
Hi everyone!

I just browsed this forum and found a thread (from way back when) about cosies. And I realised that this is exactly what I like to read (and would like to write). I love reading Miss Marple and fortunately tend to forget whodunnit so I can re-read the books once in a while :crazy:
I am looking for contemporary authors who write cosies. Can anyone recommend good reads in this genre?

Julia

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
texttussi said:
Hi everyone!

I just browsed this forum and found a thread (from way back when) about cosies. And I realised that this is exactly what I like to read (and would like to write). I love reading Miss Marple and fortunately tend to forget whodunnit so I can re-read the books once in a while :crazy:
I am looking for contemporary authors who write cosies. Can anyone recommend good reads in this genre?

Julia

I like may cozy mysteries, as well, and I've read all the Miss Marple novels. I'm currently reading several of them again. It's tough finding good cozy writers. Librray websites tend to have good info on cozy writers, so you might try some of the ones on this list: http://www.madisonpubliclibrary.org/booklists/cozies.html

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
another one for the list

Hi, I enjoy cozies too. My current fave are Katherine Hall Page's Faith Fairchild mysteries. But Agatha Christie is always worth reading again.

I hope others post some suggestions.

Oh, and I love the #1 Ladies Detective Agency books. Who says you can't be commercial and still write great fiction.

Happy reading

Arden

Happy to be here!
Registered
Reaction score
texttussi said:
Hi everyone!

Julia

I don't know of contemporary authors... but have you read Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver mysteries? Wonderful books.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Here's one...

Well, if you can wait awhile, I am halfway through my cozy... :) I just need to finish it off, find an agent, get it published, and then have it on book-shelves. The sleuth is an English barrister teaching law here in Texas and the killer is... well now, you'll just have to wait and see... :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cozy or cosy (either is acceptable) are generally understood to be an amature detective in a closed setting. Not a lot of sex or violence. It is a mannerly, deductive plot moved about by engaging but harmless characters. It feels safe and, well, cozy. Think Ms. Marple or the Murder She Wrote series (as a T.V. version of the cozy).

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I want to write cozies as well and this thread has really helped me. I find them very interesting...not sure how easy they are to write, but hey i'll give anything a try once.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Susan Wettig Albert's China Bayles series.
M.R.Sellars (not really a cozy, but a good series)Rowan Gant Investigations.
Earlene Fowler
Yasmine Galenorn
I forget the author, but she writes the Ophelia and Abby series.
There are many sleuths that are cooks or caterers, they own coffee shops and tea shops too.

Then of course, there is mine. Only it's not in print...yet.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What about Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series? Would this fit cosy, given that Deborah's a judge? I love this series and definitely think of it as cosy - interesting likeable characters, vivid realistic setting, violence pretty much offstage.

Going back a few years, what about Emma Lathen's John Thatcher series. I know Thatcher was a Wall Street banker - which is hardly cosy - but I find the series as reassuringly sharp yet humorous as the best cosies. Plus Lathen had a good eye for the social mood of the time. So she set mysteries within social issues eg Catholic change of post Vatican II, "Ashes to Ashes" and the civil rights movement, forget the book for the moment. I'd love to be able to capture current social issues with such an apparently effortless style. Does anyone have any suggestions of current cosy style authors with this sharp socio-political eye?

Jenny

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I think anything with a cat protag - Rita Mae Brown's Sneaky Pie Brown series, the Lillian Jackson Braun Siamese kitties "The Cat Who..." series, and the Midnight Louie series by Carole Nelson Douglas - qualifies as cozy.

Some of my other cozy Favorites:
Too Big too Miss by Sue Ann Jaffarian (sharp eye for social attitudes toward big women and funny, too)
Blessed is the Busybody by Emilie Richards
The Flaming Luau of Death by Jerrilyn Farmer (ANYTHING by Jerrilyn Farmer!)
You May Now Kill the Bride by Deborah Donnelly

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
am I wrong?

Am I wrong in thinking that "cozy" also derives from "tea cozy," as it relates to those genteel types like Miss Marple?

Kate Thornton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
No, you aren't wrong - Miss Marple is a favorite of the cozy set. I love her in all her incarnations, especially in the original books. A *cozy* is a little warming blanket or cover to keep a teapot, cup, or other item warm and/or protected. (Victorian single cup cozies were often very ornate, with beading even, and meant to protect the contents of the cup from contamination.)

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Lloydyboy said:
What's a cosie?

I always thought a cosie was one of those things you stick your beer can in at the beach to keep it cold.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
huggie

Gee, I've always called mine a beer "huggie." Not to be confused with the diaper variety.........:D

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I've recently discovered -- and completely by accident -- Carrie Bebris' Mr and Mrs Darcy mysteries. It's Jane Austen's P&P characters after the wedding, and Elizabeth and Darcy are constantly finding themselves embroiled in these mysteries, which of course are resolved by Lizzie's wit and Darcy's---- um, Darcyness.

They're quite fun, light reading, and even though I've never been a huge fan of the "cozy" mystery and lean more towards JD Robb, I'm really enjoying the series.

Kate Thornton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I love mysteries that cross freely between genres, use characters from other times/places/universes and expand the notion of what a mystery tale can be.

PattiTheWicked, the Darcy mysteries sound like fun.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Donna Andrews and her "bird" themed mysteries; and Charlaine Harris has two older series-- Aurora Teagarden (don't remember individual titles) and Lily Bard (the titles are things like "Shakespeare's... whatever").

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Donna Andrews and her "bird" themed mysteries; and Charlaine Harris has two older series-- Aurora Teagarden (don't remember individual titles) and Lily Bard (the titles are things like "Shakespeare's... whatever").

oooh I loved the Aurora Teagarden books. I think one was called "Real Murders" and another one was called "Three Baths and a Murder."

What about Nancy Atherton and the Aunt Dimity books? Another Brit favorite is Dorothy Cannell (not sure I spelled her name right).

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Ghost and Mrs. McClure and the sequel (by Alice Kimberly) the other day. The gimmick is that a perfectly respectable bookstore owner is being haunted by the ghost of a hard-boiled PI.

It was cute, and I'd definitely label it a cozy (the hard-boiled stuff was all filtered through the cozy perspective). Had some editing issues, and some clumsy parts, but overall, it was a fun read. And there was some interesting stuff about the publishing industry in general (the heroine worked for a publishing house before moving to the small town).

That's the most contemporary one I've read. For some older stuff, you could try Charlotte MacCleod, although I think that's skirting the edge of true cozyness. But The Curse of the Giant Hogweed is probably my favorite mystery of all time.