Not open for further replies.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I know there were several cool book-recommendation threads here. Remind me what they were called and I'll pull them back as best I'm able!

This one, I remembered the title :)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Rod Munch:
Can anyone recommend any fantasy novels built in the real world? I haven't got much time or interest for elves, goblins, or a prince on a quest to find a sword/ring/goblet to free his land from the power of the Black Lord of Thghjsdk'fsdsdo'toiop. I don't think Fantasy should rely on such cliches and am looking for stories built in what we know as the real world but featuring the adventure and mystery that good fantasy contains. Neil Gaiman is an example of what I'm after as is King's Dark Tower series.

MadScientistMatt:
The Dark Tower set in the real world? It's more like Narnia without the talking animals, when you get down to it. The story isn't set in the real world at all, but in a parallel universe that you can only reach by magic.

Are you talking about urban fantasy - where the story takes place in a modern city but with magic? Of course, some of that contains things rather like goblins or elves too - Terry Brooks' Word and Void series comes to mind, with its own fantasy beasts hiding out in downtown parks.

Rod Munch:
With DT, I was thinking of the travelling between Roland's world and ours and the events that take place here such as Roland 'meeting' Eddie in DT2, the following gunfight, and later, Roland coming for Susannah and Mort.
Quite a bit of DT is set in what we would call the real world and Roland's world could be seen as a slight variation of ours.

Myrddin:
Read George RR Martin's Game of Thrones (first in a series).

It's another world (not ours) but loosely based on 14th century politics and culture. No elves or goblins, no prince on a quest, no dark lord of gobbly-gook trying to take over the world, though there are dragons and arguably ice zombies. ;) Martin took the fantasy convention, spun it, and came up with something fresh. The people, politics, and consequences feel as real as this world.

If you read this book and call "cliche", I'll eat my hat.

My only warning is that the projected 7 book series is only on book 4.

waylander:
'The Lions of Al-Rassan' by Guy Gavriel Kay is roughly based on the 'El Cid' legend and the wars of the Moorish Spain. No Gods, Elves, Orcs.

Rod Munch:
Cheers. I've got two books on the go at the moment, but once they're done, I'll have a look at those series.
It's not that I loathe what could be called typical fantasy; it's just that a lot of it seems very samey and for my taste, something grounded in reality but put with outlandish worlds and events is much more entertaining.

Shweta:
Well, War for the Oaks, by Emma Bull, has elves all right. And other faerie creatures. But it's very strongly set in Minneapolis. Very grounded in the place; and in that sense about as real as it gets.

And apparently it started the sub-genre of urban fantasy and is a really fun read, to boot.

Shweta:
Also.
Ian McDonald, King of Morning, Queen of Day
James Hetley, The Summer Country

Cathy C:
Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" series. First in the series is "Storm Front." It's in filming now for a pilot on the SciFi channel. I think it's airing in January.

Andrew Jameson:
Let me recommend The Family Trade (and sequels) by Charles Stross. It's one of those travelling-to-the-world-next-door scenarios, but the interesting thing is that the world next door isn't magical at all (it's pretty much our own world with a divergent history). The only "magical" thing involved is the actual ability to travel between the two worlds. The action is roughly equally divided between the "real" world and the one next door.

I found it interesting because Stross takes a basic concept--what if you, or a group of people, could travel between two worlds?--and follows the idea to its logical conclusions. If you could do something special like that, you'd obviously try to make money by doing it.

RedMolly:
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clarke (one of my favorite books ever)
The Wild Swans, by Peg Kerr
The Summer Country and sequels, by James A. Hetley
The Glass Harmonica and The Terrorists of Irustan (which isn't really fantasy, but is still a damned excellent read) by Louise Marley
The Empire of Unreason series by J. Gregory Keyes
Most anything by Guy Gavriel Kay (I see Al-Rassan has already been recommended)... I liked A Song for Arbonne and the Sarantium books

And, though these books are set in imaginary worlds, they avoid the vast majority of the airy-fairy fantasy cliches that can be so irritating:
A Cavern of Black Ice (and sequels) by J.V. Jones
The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling (spooky!)
Once Upon a Winter's Night by Dennis McKiernan (I'm not, generally speaking, a McKiernan fan, but this book does a great job of mixing up all kinds of fairy tales and folklore into a big juicy stew)

...edited... sorry, Shweta, I missed your Hetley recommend earlier...

Shadow_Ferret:
Rod Munch said:
Can anyone recommend any fantasy novels built in the real world? I haven't got much time or interest for elves, goblins, or a prince on a quest to find a sword/ring/goblet to free his land from the power of the Black Lord of Thghjsdk'fsdsdo'toiop. I don't think Fantasy should rely on such cliches and am looking for stories built in what we know as the real world but featuring the adventure and mystery that good fantasy contains. Neil Gaiman is an example of what I'm after as is King's Dark Tower series.

Define fantasy. I haven't read either of those, so I'm at a loss as to what you want in a fantasy if you've eliminated supernatural creatures like elves, goblins, etc.

What about werewolves, vampires and occult-type magic? I can think of many authors delving into this area in the real world or "alternate" realities.

Laurell K. Hamilton. Kim Harrison. Kelley Armstrong. Charlaine Harris.

JerseyGirl1962:
Rod Munch said:

Urban Shaman by C. E. Murphy is set in Seattle, with all sorts of hell breaking loose. The MC is part American Indian and part Irish, with Indian and Irish myths thrown into the mix (with a funny, cynical thread of humor throughout the book - always a plus, for me).

Aw, someone beat me to the Dresden Files and Emma Bull's groundbreaking book.

Shweta:
Sorry, Nancy :D
Kindred by Octavia Butler (harsh, painful, beautiful)
The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers
The Sun, the Moon, and the Stars by Steve Brust -- maybe
Dogsbody, Fire and Hemlock, and/or Deep Secret by Diana Wynne Jones

If you like period fiction (specifically Regency and Victorian and so forth) then:
Patricia Wrede, Mareilon the Magician and Snow White, Rose Red
Wrede and Caroline Stevermer, Sorcery and Cecilia
Emma Bull and Steve Brust, Freedom and Necessity
In general I find that people who like Gaiman also tend to like the Scribblies (Bull, Brust, Dean, Lindholm, Shetterly, and I think I'm missing someone)

Oh and, if you're familiar with generic-epic-fantasy and sick of it, try Diana Wynne Jones' Dark Lord of Derkholm and The Tough Guide to Fantasyland, both of which should have you giggling throughout.

alaskamatt17:
My favorite fantasy books that aren't high fantasy are Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series and Clive Barker's The Thief of Always, which are both YA but good if you're an adult, too.

By the way, has anybody seen Mirrormask? It's a surreal fantasy by Neil Gaiman, so I thought it might be relevant to the thread. I liked it, but not as much as I thought I would. I'm a big fan of the fantasy productions by the Jim Henson Company. It has amazing visuals for a movie done on about an eighth the budget of the typical Hollywood blockbuster.

Shweta:
alaskamatt17: Riddle?

I love mirrormask. love it so much.
Such a lovely little creepy little story.
I recommend everything by Neil Gaiman higher than American Gods. It's the one thing he didn't blow me away with (I haven't quite dared to read Anansi Boys yet; I'm afraid of disappointment). His children's stuff, his comics, Good Omens, his movie... they're all just... amazing.

Medievalist:
The Merchant Princes books are SF, but frankly, I don't see that much of a divide between the two.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
badducky:
Sounds like someone needs to read some science-fiction fopr a while... Technically what dude's asking for.

Rod Munch:
Some very cool sounding suggestions here. :hooray: I've printed this page and will get started as soon as I can although if anyone has any more, feel free to let me know.

Inkdaub:
Read the work of...

Jonathan Lethem
William Browning Spencer
James P Blaylock
Jonathan Carrol
Graham Joyce
Neil Gaiman

Cathy C:
If you're willing to read a YA novel, Cornelia Funke's The Thief Lord is a TERRIFIC contemporary fantasy. It's won a boatload of major awards.

Rod Munch:
Cathy C said:
If you're willing to read a YA novel, Cornelia Funke's The Thief Lord is a TERRIFIC contemporary fantasy. It's won a boatload of major awards.

Funny you should say that. My colleague ordered it last Friday and we're expecting it in next week :D

JerseyGirl1962:
Shweta said:
I recommend everything by Neil Gaiman higher than American Gods. It's the one thing he didn't blow me away with (I haven't quite dared to read Anansi Boys yet; I'm afraid of disappointment). His children's stuff, his comics, Good Omens, his movie... they're all just... amazing.

Shweta,

I feel the same way about American Gods. I enjoyed Neverwhere (another urban fantasy I should've mentioned), so thought I'd give AG a try - esp. as the blurbs were out of this world about the story, etc.

Could. Not. Get. Into. It.

It just seemed a jumbled mess to me.

But I can give a thumbs up to Neverwhere - it's not all degradation and darkness; there's actually a smidgen of hope in the story.

~Nancy

Shweta:
Yeah, I loved Neverwhere. And Coraline. And I liked most of the shorts in Smoke and Mirrors. And I adore Sandman. And Good Omens. And Mirrormask. And... yeah.

Inkdaub:
I feel the same way as Shweta about Gaiman. I love the other stuff...don't like American Gods and am semi-afraid to read Anansi Boys.

Lady Cat:
Loved Neverwhere didn't really enjoy American Gods as much. Sparkle was really good though.

I can't believe no one has mentioned one of my favorite authors - Charles de Lint. He writes a lot of urban fantasy - myths and legends that interact with today's world. Another good one is Terry Windling's Woodwife. And let's not forget Holly Lisle's Minerva Wakes or Sympathy for the Devil

Shweta:
Wait, did I not mention those?
*smacks head*
Lost them in the pile, I guess. I adore the wood wife :)

Rugcat:
O.K., I can't stand mute any longer. No one seems to have liked American Gods. Now, I loved Neverwhere but I liked American Gods even more. I thought it was a better book. More...serious, somehow, touching in an odd way.

Also loved his Y/A book, Coraline. Quirky, creepy, and funny, all at the same time. Well worth your time, even if you're not a kid.

Shweta:
Oh, I should say, I liked American Gods fine. But it's Gaiman. I feel like I should have loved it forever and ever and ever. Because that's what I expect from Gaiman. I just didn't like it as much as I like everything else the man has ever set his hand to.

Jay Tomio:
Here are some - many of which are among the best fantasy works ever written IMHO (some already mentioned):

The Jerusalem Quaret by Edward Whittemore
The Pyat Quartet (or Between the Wars) by Micahel Moorcock
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
The Light Ages by Ian R. Macleod
House of Storms by Ian R. Macleod
The Portrait of Ms. Charbuqe by Jeffrey Ford
The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers
I Declare by Tim Powers
Dreamside by Graham Joyce
Dark Sister by Graham Joyce
House of Lost Dreams by Graham Joyce
Requiem by Graham Joyce
The Tooth Fairy by Graham Joyce
The Stormwatcher by Graham Joyce
Leningrad Nights by Graham Joyce
Indigo by Graham Joyce
Smoking Poppy by Graham Joyce
The Facts of Life by Graham Joyce
Limits of Enchantment by Graham Joyce
TWOC by Graham Joyce
Gun, with Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem
Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem
As She Climbed Across the Table by Jonathan Lethem
Vellum by Hal Duncan
A Princess of Roumania by Paul Park
Orphans of Chaos by John C. Wright
Perfect Circle by Sean Stewart
Galveston by Sean Stewart
Mockingbird by Sean Stewart
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Kay by Micahel Chabon
In the Palace of Repose by Holly Phillips
Viator by Lucius Shepard
Trujillo and Other Stories by Lucius Shepard
Eternity and Other Stories by Lucius Shepard
The Last Hot Time by John M. Ford
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
Yume No Hon by Catherynne M. Valente
Aegypt Quartet (fourht book forthcoming) by John Crowley
Lord Byron's Novel by John Crowley

Tons more if you need more.

KimJo:
On the YA end of things, Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series (five books) is strongly grounded in Arthurian legend but takes place in the "real" world. Most of Margaret Mahy's YA books, such as Changeover and The Catalogue of the Universe (I think that's the right name) are "real-world" fantasy as well, as are Marianne Curley's books. (I've read Old Magic and The Named by her, those fit the description at least.)

Shweta:
Oooh, Cooper :)

Yes, it's the Catalogue of the Universe. I mostly didn't mention Mahy because she's hard to find, unless you want to order it online. I think everything she writes is children's/YA fantasy set in the real world, and it's all worth reading, especially, IMO, the books on the older end (aimed at 15-16 yr-olds rather than 10-yr-olds). For example, The Tricksters is a wonderful, chilling book.

Merricat:
Andrew Jameson said:
I found it interesting because Stross takes a basic concept--what if you, or a group of people, could travel between two worlds?--and follows the idea to its logical conclusions. If you could do something special like that, you'd obviously try to make money by doing it.

Diana Wynne Jones' Dark Lord of Derkholm (which was mentioned earlier) is also about a conniver who controls the portals between worlds and is using the fantasy world as a gigantic theme park for the people from the more "mundane" world.

Almost everything DWJ writes takes place in a world similar to this one, although it's all YA. The only books of hers I can think of that have absolutely no connection to Earth are the Dalemark Quartet.

I haven't seen anyone recommend Jonathan Carroll yet. I don't know if you'll like him, since his writing is rather ... off the beaten path, but I love him. And all of his settings are contemporary.

Shweta:
The last book of the Dalemark quartet is set in an Earth equivalent. Which suggests that they all are, except... no, I won't say it. It'd be a spoiler.

Dalemark reminds me: Caroline Stevermer. A College of Magics, A Scholar of Magics, When the King Comes Home -- they're all set in an alternate Europe. They're fun and interesting alternate-history period fantasy. Stevermer is extremely witty. If you enjoy that, try those.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Annd the reason I remembered this thread...

I wanted to add to it :D

I'm in the middle of Naomi Novik's His Majesty's Dragon.Napoleonic wars, only with dragons. Way fun.

There are three books in the series so far, and my husband recommends them all :)

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Lots of good suggestions up above.
I'm another fan of Charles de Lint and Neil Gaiman - I really liked American Gods, but that could be because my boyfriend, who once went to a fancy dress party as Mr Wednesday, recommended it, and I kept seeing him as Mr Wednesday as I read.

One author I haven't seen mentioned is RA MacAvoy. Her Tea with the Black Dragon is set in modern America, with a (humanoid) Chinese dragon and an Irish fiddler. The Book of Kells is a time travel to medieval Ireland story, and the Gray Horse concerns a shape-changing fairy in a very realistic 19thC Ireland.

Nyna

Registered
Reaction score
Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series is set in an alternate colonial America -- they weren't my sort of thing, personally, but the first few were pretty good. Also check out his book Enchantment, which is a timetravel-romance that's pretty good. Or The Lost Boys, but that one's kind of creepy.

Other than that, I second the previous recommendation of 'The Anubis Gates' by Tim Powers, tentatively -- I'm about twenty pages from the end, and so far it's been excellent, but you never can tell when the ending is going to spoil the book.

Also: Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is... almost set in this world. :)

...I keep almost posting this and then remembering someone else. But if you haven't already, you really should at least check out Zelazny.

And Murakami. Also, Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters Trilogy is set in ancient Ireland, and is pretty good.

For YA novels, I always liked Diane Duane's Young Wizard series, set (mostly) in New York.

I also agree that anyone looking for more modern-day fantasy should check out some of the lighter science fiction -- Bujold is great space opera, for example.

Last edited:

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I second Murakami - Kafka on the Shore, Sputnik Sweetheart, Wild Sheep Chase and the Wind up Bird Chronicle are my favorites.

Be warned, he gives me a serious inferiority complex - this guy is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.