Singapore Blogger Censored (read: fired)

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
BoingBoing reports that Singapore's most popular blogger has been fired for daring to criticize the government. (Especially read the government's response - scary scary)

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/07/05/singapore_gov_condem.html

Any Singaporeans here? Is it really that bad? How do you cope with (or circumvent) the government telling you what you can and cannot write?

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I don't know Singapore, but I can tell you about the Maldives. My sister and her family have spent two Canadian winters there, working, and will spend another. It's a group of somewhere between 1200 and 2000 islands off the south west coast of India, about 400 miles from Sri Lanka (which means they spend time with us on their way to and fro).

My sister has told me stories - from people she knows there - where if certain things are said on the phone, their phone line is cut off mid-sentence. Same thing with email - internet service goes down. They know one family that was kicked out of the country, forbidden to return, because of things they said. When there's political unrest - ie, protests, marches, whatever - it's kept out of the media and you cannot talk about it on the phone, via email, etc.

South Asian countries can be... excessive in some regards.

I thought Singapore wasn't like that - I know a fair number of people who go to Singapore fairly frequently - but haven't been there myself, nor do I know anyone who lives there.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I was in Singapore for a day (I call that trip the "trailer" - all the plot lines were given away, but I didn't get to experience the full movie). It was stunning, but in a Stepford City kind of way, with every blade of grass (forced?) in place. The impression I got was an iron fist covered by a velvet glove. I was able to access e-mail okay (way better than in Beijing, where I was also followed by security guards for taking notes). I heard that Singapore has a real double standard, though: tourists (especially white tourists) aren't subjected to the same harsh laws as residents, because the city depends so heavily on tourism. Then again, there was that kid a few years ago who was caned...

What struck me (and has nothing to do with this thread, but...) was that we'd gone through Southeast Asia, though the most poverty-stricken countries, where any food was appreciated and where I bristled at all the Pepsi and Coke signs ("Vietnam, brought to you by Coke.") and wondered why I never saw banners for companies that provided genuine and needed nutrition.

The minute we got to Singapore, I saw ads for diet pills, diet drinks, etc. It really disappointed me. Such a Western (and affluent) influence. Only those who can afford to eat freely can afford the luxury (ok, dubious luxury!) of going without food. And selfishly, I'd felt freed by the lack of stick-figure women as icons.

Any-hoo...

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
That's one thing I love about Asian movies... Bollywood and Tamil actresses with real bodies. Some have guts. Some are size 14+. Sure there are the slim actresses, but they're not it. Older actresses are sometimes as, shall we say, plump as women are in real life. They use people with real bodies running the entire gamut of reality, not just the skinny end. But then, hermaphrodites (I know it's not the politically correct term, and I apologize if that offends anyone, I just don't remember the other term for it right now) also have a place in the movies, as do transsexuals as real people. In some ways, it's really refreshing to see real human situations treated as real human situations - not glorified, not offered as shock value, just there like it's no big deal.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
My limited direct contact with Singapore, and having to deal with a number over the phone while calling from overseas, indicates to me that there is a certain anal retentiveness exhibited amongst the people. From what I have heard from others who have lived there, it is clean, neat, orderly, well-manicured...and well-controlled.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...interesting historical background.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the context, Inkeeper. I didn't even think about the occupation angle.

The day I was there, all the possible fines converged (though fortunately, I avoided financial penalty): first, I forgot to remove five cigarettes from my Canadian 25-pack (it's illegal, or so we were told, to carry more than 20); then I used a washroom in which the toilet wouldn't flush; out of habit, I popped a piece of gum (took me about 60 seconds - after a couple of funny looks from people - to get rid of it); I got caught in a downpour like no other - while wearing a white dress (I was certain there was a penalty for indecent exposure); and, I forget why, but this was a last-ditch thing, I ran across the street. Plus, I was carrying my emergency migraine meds. All day, I remember thinking, "Could I possibly be doing anything more to get fined?"

The popular tourist t-shirt I saw read, "Singapore is a FINE city" and then went on to list all the fines. I did give in and buy the fridge magnet that there was a $500 (or something) fine for leaving the toilet seat up ;).