My Sweet Girl Taffy--Repost

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Under reconstruction: Please be patient.

awatkins said:
I had to have my beautiful good girl Taffy put to sleep this afternoon. She was 14 years old and the best dog in the world. But even good dogs can't fight cancer forever.

I can't believe she's gone. The house, and my heart, feels so empty without her.

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
alleycat:

Sorry about your dog. Anyone who's ever loved and lost a pet knows what you're going through. :-(

I can only remind you that time will help.

Charles

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
TemlynWriting:

Anne, I am so very sorry for your loss. It is never an easy thing to do. My thoughts, prayers, and love are with you, my dear friend.
EmoteHug2.gif
I'm here if you need to talk or anything.

Much love,
Julia

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT:

My sympathies, Anne. Every time I lose a pet it takes time for the ache to fade. I still occasionally look for my other cats, but the two cats I'm currently owned/ruled by make sure I don't get lonely.

How are your (not illegal) parrots doing?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Schoolmarm:

Oh, Anne . . . I'm so sorry. I've been through pet losses many times, and it never gets any easier.

Right now I've got my bloomers in a bunch because my boarder emailed me that she's tired of paying board and wants the horse euthanized. He's perfectly happy and healthy, just getting on in years. She wants to kill a healthy horse.

Can you imagine my response? I'll just bet you can. I won't repeat it here as I wouldn't want to be the one to get this board shut down.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Nancy:

Anne:

I'm so sorry! That is the hardest decision ever! For me, it has to be about the quality of my pet's life. My thoughts are with you and take good care.

Joanne:

For those types of folks, I think the death penalty is reasonable. I never will understand seeing animals only as property. I hope the idiot at least tries to sell her horse or have someone adopt!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Shwebb:

So, sorry, Anne.

I've lost a number of dogs to old age/sickness, and it's like losing a member of the family. I had my cocker spaniel put to sleep two days before Emmory was born--he'd had a stroke a few days before, and he wasn't eating or drinking, and he couldn't walk.

His vet was out of town, so I tried another--his secretary told me I would have to drop him off and pick up his "remains" later! I told her that the least I could do for an old friend was to be with him when he died. (But I know some people wouldn't be able to do that; my husband is one of them.)

I did find a vet who let me be there with him. He was so kind, and he reassured me that I was doing the right thing, even though it was so very hard. He even walked with me to my car.

I'm glad that you had 14 years' worth of good memories and love with your Taffy.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
awatkins:

Thank you all so much for the kind words, and for understanding. I'm glad I was able to be with her--touching her and talking to her (though the vet said she wasn't cognizant at that point) when it happened. I just wanted her to know how much I loved her, and I hope on some level, she did.

The only thing that helps is time (thanks, ac) but I sure wish there was a fast-forward button.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Schoolmarm:

Anne, you'll be especially grateful later on that you were able to be with her at that moment. I've only missed one--my favorite mare, who had to be euthanized at a clinic hours from home--and I've never quite gotten over it. That final farewell is what funeral rituals are all about. I still see my mare in pastures I drive by, but the other animals I've been with through their end are safely tucked away in memory without those recurrent fantasies to tear my heart out.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
That's it for the reconstruction. Carry on...

(Oh, and Anne: :Hug2: Been there with my cat, and it's not an easy decision.)