PDA

View Full Version : Pen recommendations for sore hands

Marissa D
02-26-2020, 06:41 AM
I've been developing arthritis in the big joint at the base of my thumb, and have begun to notice that the type of pen I use makes a difference as to how quickly my hand tires/begins to hurt. Does anyone have recommendations for a pen, whether gel, fountain, or what have you, that writes smoothly and without requiring a lot of pressure? I'm looking for specific makes and models... Many thanks!

AW Admin
02-26-2020, 06:50 AM
Pilot Dr. Grip; I'd get gel, personally. See this guide to Dr. Grip (https://www.jetpens.com/blog/pilot-dr-grip-a-comprehensive-guide/pt/713) from Jetpens.com

But see also: Ergonomic Pens at Jet.Pens.com (https://www.jetpens.com/blog/the-best-ergonomic-pens/pt/84)

Marissa D
02-26-2020, 07:20 AM
Thank you. I'm going to try one of those.

Layla Nahar
02-26-2020, 04:34 PM
Marissa - I have the exact same problem. I have been doing a lot of work on my thoracic spine - stretching, strengthening, getting my head and shoulders in the right place - and I have managed to keep that thumb/wrist pain at bay. It hasn't gone away, but it is a dull pain, rather than sharp or stabbing, and there is less of it. I also do a lot of gentle wrist & hand movements that focus on the 'pain zone' (in particular on moving through the range of motion where the pain occurs) and help me remain able to use the same tools I have always used. I did experience a loss of power (like the unscrewing problem) in that hand, but it looks like I'm getting some of that strength back. fyi/fwiw

Marissa D
02-26-2020, 07:09 PM
Oh, that sounds interesting, Layla (and yes, the unscrewing and anything involving a pincer motion.) Part of my problem is rheumatoid arthritis (as well as osteoarthritis), but that sounds worth investigating. Do you have a website or book I could look up for more info?

frimble3
02-27-2020, 05:38 AM
If you have pens that you are otherwise happy with, have you tried Googling 'Pen holders for arthritic hands' or similar, with comes up with a range of things that are used to enlarge surfaces on pens for easier holding. Don't know what in your area, but office supply stores seem to carry a range. Or, Amazon, but I'd think you'd want to test a few before deciding.

Marissa D
02-27-2020, 07:14 AM
It's not the grip that's the issue, really--it's how easily the pen releases its ink as it moves across paper and how much pressure must be exerted. My fingers are fine--the problem area is the large joint where thumb meets wrist.

Ketzel
02-27-2020, 07:24 AM
I rely on the Pilot Precise V7 RT. It's a retractable gel pen, very lightweight, with a .7 nib that is wider than most gel pens (that's the V7 part - it also comes in a V5) and lets the ink flow easily.

stephenf
02-27-2020, 01:35 PM
Sorry you have a problem with your hand . I don't have have the same problem , but I love pencils . I prefer soft black ones . I use a mechanical sharpener to keep them sharp . It is nice to use good quality paper , but I find the cheep printer paper will do the job just as well. Soft pencil will smudge , but I have studied musical manuscrips that are very old, often the ink has faded but the pencil edits are as good as new.

Marissa D
02-27-2020, 08:09 PM
Thank you! WIll look into the Pilot pen, and...duh, why did I not think about pencils? Will try those as well. I did a little looking on line and may try some Japanese pencils, which tend to be softer and darker lead-wise.

AW Admin
02-27-2020, 08:36 PM
Thank you! WIll look into the Pilot pen, and...duh, why did I not think about pencils? Will try those as well. I did a little looking on line and may try some Japanese pencils, which tend to be softer and darker lead-wise.

You might try a Musgrave 600 news; it's a soft pencil, with a round body and a thick core.

You might also try "triangular" pencils; especially the Mitsubishi Triangular Penmanship Pencil - 4B

CWPencils.com carries both.

Layla Nahar
02-28-2020, 05:49 AM
Marissa - sorry for the delay responding.

I've been kind of making it up as I go along, largely based on ballet. Its my bedtime now, so just leaving this acknowledgement that I saw your question, and I'll try to write up something. I'll send a cookie to let you know.

FluffBunny
02-29-2020, 06:34 AM
I love the "Retro" Pilots to distraction. They run under $20, which is an affordable price for a fountain pen. I don't know whether or not the grip will be small enough to be uncomfortable, but I have small hands and prefer a larger grip on a pen and these work for me. The nibs that they come with seem to be quite firm, so pushing down to get a thick/thin line would likely be an issue, but to just write with, they are an easy, but too "bite-y" joy. And think of the ink colors you could choose!

Edited because I know the difference between "but" and "bot" (annoying, pesky things!).

aguywhotypes
02-29-2020, 08:37 PM
I just picked up a Pilot Dr. Grip and I really like it. I love the soft grip as well as a fatter pen in general.

Marissa D
03-19-2020, 06:59 AM
My Dr. Grips arrived and they're awesome--the gel pens require almost no pressure to write. Thank you!!