PDA

View Full Version : I'm blaming all of you

FluffBunny
02-25-2020, 12:56 AM
I love writing by hand and always have. Gel pens have been my go-to for quite some time--there's something about the smoothness, the absolute darkness of gel black ink--and then, I started reading here. "Well, heck," I thought. "It's been some time since I wrote with a fountain pen; what could it hurt?" Yeah, thanks, guys.

I now own a Pilot retro (red) loaded up with Ama-Iro ink and I freaking adore it. The way writing feels with it, the brilliant sky-blueness of the ink...I have fallen in love. Which, I guess, explains why another Pilot retro (orange) is arriving today with a bottle of Yu-Yake ink and there's another, fancy-shmancy Edison pen (Smoke and Mirrors) coming down the pike along with a bottle of Tsukushi ink and a not-quite-as-shancy Pilot retro (turquoise) with a bottle of Noodler Heart-of-Darkness.

Yep, your fault, all your fault. That's my story and I'm sticking to i. (still squeeing over sky-blue ink of happiness, in spite of having two sky-blue-ish fingers thanks to filling the pen)

Maryn
02-25-2020, 02:39 AM
I speak for us all when I accept the blame. Pix of the fingers, please!

FluffBunny
02-25-2020, 03:49 AM
I speak for us all when I accept the blame. Pix of the fingers, please!

A combination of baking soda and Barkeep's Friend have removed "enough" of the blue ("enough" being that my husband won't come home and ask what's up). But...but....here's what's coming-- https://www.gouletpens.com/products/edison-nouveau-premiere-fountain-pen-smoke-and-mirrors No words.

Snitchcat
02-25-2020, 10:07 AM
Pretty pen!

Welcome to the fountain pen mania club! :D

Maryn
02-25-2020, 06:59 PM
God, that pen is gorgeous! Step aside, handsome-actor-of-the-moment, the smoke and mirrors pen is taking center stage.

AW Admin
02-25-2020, 07:17 PM
A combination of baking soda and Barkeep's Friend have removed "enough" of the blue ("enough" being that my husband won't come home and ask what's up). But...but....here's what's coming-- https://www.gouletpens.com/products/edison-nouveau-premiere-fountain-pen-smoke-and-mirrors No words.

That's a pretty pen, and it's one of the only-from-Goulet-Pens special editions.

FluffBunny
02-26-2020, 04:43 AM
Thank you for all the positive votes for Smoke and Mirrors. But I really, really need to stay off the Goulet Pen website!!! Or learn to write with my off-hand. Possibly, my feet.

Still loving my inexpensive Pilot Retro pens, though. At least one will be coming to work with me tomorrow. Yes, I will have sky-blue-happiness at work tomorrow and infect everyone I work with. Mwahahahaha! Not to mention, confusing my upper-level management. ("Sky blue? Sky blue?!? Does not compute! Ink is only black or icky blue and, possibly, dull red. Everyone knows this!")

Layla Nahar
02-26-2020, 04:45 PM
fwiw - once you get used to the weirdness, it's fairly do-able to write with the off-hand. The main trick, ime, is to start by relaxing and figuring out what that side of your body wants to do, and then 'following' it (if that makes sense...) as you make the letters. A little bit of drawing circles and lines can help when frustration sets in. Drawing big circles with your hand off the paper can be helpful.

AW Admin
02-26-2020, 06:39 PM
I have serious carpal tunnel, so I've deliberately learned to do most things with either hand.

Learning to write with the other hand for me got easier when I used a large pencil with a thick soft graphite core for practicing. Musgrave 600 News works well for that; they are exceedingly affordable $6.25 for a dozen from Musgrave, or about .50 cents each from CW Pencils.