PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else write with the wrong hand?

Layla Nahar
12-11-2019, 04:39 PM
From time to time I write with the 'wrong' hand. Partly because I like this sort of challenge, but I've also heard it has an effect on your thinking. I know that it certainly requires me to be more patient, and since I'm learning this as a new skill, I can put some extra attention on keeping my arm and shoulder relaxed. (I tend to keep a lot of tension in my arm and shoulder in my regular hand; I can use what I'm learning to put a little more relaxation into my regular hand. Hopefully) I'm also developing arthritis in my wrist/thumb in my wrong hand and writing with this hand is really helping a lot. This morning I wrote just about a whole page with it.

AW Admin
12-12-2019, 01:31 AM
I write with both hands, mostly because I started getting really bad carpal tunnel in my right hand, and realized I had better learn to write with my left hand too ASAP.

I used slightly larger than usual three-sided soft pencils from Japan when I started working on writing with my left hand, as a learning tool.

Kjbartolotta
12-12-2019, 01:42 AM
I always write with the wrong hand. Grandma did not like lefties and, abysmal as my righty is, still can't quite do it with the lefty.

Paul Lamb
12-12-2019, 03:44 AM
Some years ago I wanted to teach myself to write with my left hand. I made a few very slow and shaky entries in my journal, and I told myself that with more practice I would get better. It's been twenty years. I should probably get back at it.

AW Admin
12-12-2019, 04:04 AM
I've found soft, thick lead pencils, and writing large, really large, one inch high minimum, letters helps.

I started by writing the letters, over and over and over, and practicing a lot, before writing words over and over and over.

Then I moved to sentences designed to use every letter of the alphabetn (pangrams (http://www.fun-with-words.com/pangrams.html)).

Layla Nahar
12-12-2019, 05:52 AM
... I started getting really bad carpal tunnel ...

Chronic pain is a great motivator. For me it's been arthritis.

I always write with the wrong hand. Grandma did not like lefties and, abysmal as my righty is, still can't quite do it with the lefty.

Yah, my writing is pretty terrible either hand...

... I made a few very slow and shaky entries in my journal...

It was very slow and shaky to start. Now it's a little less slow, a little less shaky...

neandermagnon
12-14-2019, 03:25 PM
I have no idea. I've never figured out if I'm naturally left or right handed. I write with my right hand but was told off at school for writing with my left hand so learned to write with my right hand. But many other things I do left handed. Usually I touch type and that uses both hands. I can hand write with either hand but my right hand writing is quicker and neater. Not sure if this is because I'm wired up to be right handed or if it's just because I've had more practice. My right hand writing isn't that quick and not always neat and my hand gets tired quickly and my handwriting deteriorates. Also, I was diagnosed with dyslexia when I was 19. I can touch type at over 90 words per minute so that overcomes handwriting issues. Also I can use a mouse with either hand but tend to use my right hand because back in the days of wired mice they were always on the right side of the computer so I'm more in the habit of using a mouse with my right hand but can easily switch sides if necessary.

At uni I did a handedness test which showed that both hands were fairly even but neither hand is as dexterous as a handed person's dominant hand. So I could be ambidextrous. If people ask then I'll say I'm ambidextrous because I'd look like the world's biggest numpty if I answer "I don't know" to "are you left or right handed?"

Layla Nahar
12-14-2019, 04:13 PM
... as dexterous as a handed person's dominant hand.
^hmm. I wonder what that means - I mean how do they determine that? (and I would guess it fails to take into account the strength you have where a handed-person's non-dominant hand is weaker...)

neandermagnon
12-14-2019, 09:11 PM
^hmm. I wonder what that means - I mean how do they determine that? (and I would guess it fails to take into account the strength you have where a handed-person's non-dominant hand is weaker...)

The test results were numerical. You take the same test in each hand. Normally people score more than 20 in one hand and less than 10 in the other. I scored 14 and 16 and I can't remember which hand scored which. So I did do better with both hands than a handed person's non-dominant hand. (The phrasing of this is getting complicated lol.)

Cyia
12-14-2019, 09:48 PM
The US Ticonderoga "My First Pencil" are good for this, too.

Snitchcat
12-18-2019, 03:33 PM
I do this occasionally because my dominant hand gets tired. English looks like I'm high; Chinese looks like a kid learning to write for the first time. Heh.