Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Why do some people (in general) feel the need to beat others down? To tell them all the reasons why the way they feel isn't valid.

I remember when I was trying to get pg (and my sister, who recently announced she's having triplets!) and I had problems. My middle sister, who got pg by accident, felt the desire to tell me (and my other sister when she had the same problem) that we were being... overzealous. That it wasn't that big a deal. Insensitive is what it was - she hadn't had the problem so she felt she should just tell us that is wasn't one.

I only used this as an example. I've run into other instances where people are just out and out insensitive jerks... and for no reason. Someone says "I feel..." and someone else jumps all over them.

Why do people do this? I really want to know. It happens everywhere. Maybe I'm just more empathetic than most, I don't know, but it bothers me that people are just so mean.

Hero For Sale

Banned
Reaction score
Did you make your effort to get pregnant known and a topic of discussion?

Well, then people discuss it and offer their opinions.

And with that, you get the opinions you agree with and the ones that you don't.

Maybe you are sharing too much personal info with people.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I don't know that it can always be attributed to folks being mean. I know that men, generally, are often accused of being insensitive to some expressed issues. In our case (at least sometimes/often) it's not that we're insensitive to your feelings as much as it is we're in a hurry to fix you up - to make you feel better - to solve the problem.

We don't like spending precious minutes talking about, or listening to, unhappy feelings. We'd rather just identify the problem, apply some emotional duct tape to remedy it, and get back to the important stuff like the ball game or maybe some neck nuzzling.

Of course, as we mature, we learn that the above behaviour is Just Plain Wrong so we learn to listen, murmur, hold hands and/or hug for as long as necessary, hardly fidgeting at all. :)

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Hero, man I like everyone around here, but you really push it. Why must you jump on every thread and take the most offensive stance possible? Would it kill you to AGREE with someone? Jeeeez.

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Christine, maybe you need to take a look in the mirror. You aren't exactly being all sweetness and light yourself.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Actually, HFS is right, though. If you give personal information, you have to expect a response.

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
scfirenice said:
My first one ever. That should tell you something.

You're second to be accurate, though thinly veiled as it was.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm just saying that in general most people ARE nice. Even if they can't relate to a situation, they are sympathetic, or just don't say anything, while others say things like "that's stupid" or "Why are you so upset about something so ridiculous". My sister does that to me all the time, and it's infuriating, because whenever SHE'S got some crisis, I would never tell her that. I try to help, or at least just be an ear to bend, even if I think it's minor I TRY to be nice. Telling someone things are just stupid is just mean.

I just don't get it.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Wow, this thread is going to look awfully short once I add people to my ignore list. Just because I'm tired of trying to defend things... if I don't have anything nice to say from now on... (and I HATE the word STUPID).

Hero For Sale

Banned
Reaction score
Your liberal use of the ignore function simply illustrates the fact that you only want to hear what you want to hear and other opinions are not welcome.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
I'm just saying that in general most people ARE nice. Even if they can't relate to a situation, they are sympathetic, or just don't say anything, while others say things like "that's stupid" or "Why are you so upset about something so ridiculous". My sister does that to me all the time, and it's infuriating, because whenever SHE'S got some crisis, I would never tell her that. I try to help, or at least just be an ear to bend, even if I think it's minor I TRY to be nice. Telling someone things are just stupid is just mean.

I just don't get it.
You are right about people, in general. Nice people will always start off with a sympathetic comment or offer some pearly wisdom. Not everyone is nice though and so sometimes you must expect a nasty reply or snide remark meant to hurt you. Difficult situation when it's family or friends though. Best wishes, ...

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Putting people on your ignore list is not very nice. I have no one on mine, and I have been on these boards for quite some time, reading what I considered silly or stupid posts, but RARELY do you hear me say anything.

Yesterday was an exception and I apologize if I hurt Alan's feelings.

The rest of you sour pusses can go suck a lemon. :tongue

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Well many people are mean just for the fun of it....they are on some kind of power trip, which to me is just wrong. I'm not any better than the next person nor will I even attempt to be...

I'm a very nice, generous person...care about others, ect. But I guess some people are mean because they choose to be.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
It's ok to have a bad day, Denise (yes, you're not on the ignore list :) ... I've had problems with other people for a while - one incident is not enough for me to ignore someone. Everyone has bad days, I know I have times when I just want to scream at the world.

I can understand your POV, really I can. I just try to be more sympathetic, even if I don't agree. It's over, we're all back to our happy selves.

Yes, aspiring, I guess some people are just mean for the fun of it. It's kind of sad, life is too short for that.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Take what I have to say with a grain of salt: I have been in very uncomfortable positions on this board. I have received negative points, too. I've been very frustrated in the past, because the words I put down on the thread didn't actually represent clearly how I felt that I stood on a particular subject.

The best thing to do is take a break from posting, or take a break from the board. Put things in perspective.

This is not meant to anyone in particular - but some of the other threads have been locked (and for good reason.)

Once the snowball effect starts - and it happens quickly - it's best to get the heck out of the way for awhile -

There are a few posters on this site who love to pile on. It always happens. The person on the bottom changes frequently, but the ones piling on the top are usually the same.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Christine,

I think this is a difficult subject for alot of people to talk about because it does require one to see things from a certain perspective, the other person's moccasins. Empathy is a trait that many have either in a very small amount or almost none at all. Empathy is risky, an empathetic person might end up not giving their viewpoint, and that is challenging for many people. I think many see empathy as a weakness and because our world is soooooo competitive, something to be avoided if at all possible.

When a person is empathetic, it often seems to be the road less traveled and is not very reciprocated. I think an empathetic person runs the risk of getting hurt easily and feeling left out because others aren't inclined to be so sensitive. Empathy requires sacrifice of self, and in this day and age, Self is a god worshipped by many. Community that is based on serving one another, caring for the needs of others and sacrificing for the good of others is not really the ideal.

When a person is truelly empathetic, it takes strength, compassion and wisdom to accept the insensitivity of others, be open to their viewpoint and communicate, in love of self and others, what you're true feelings are. When you tell others what your needs are and that you would appreicate others consideration, they won't have to wonder what is wrong and you won't feel slighted.

Just my opinion, hope some of what I said helped.

kid

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Dang!

I wake up from my nap to look-see what’s new and I see nothing but fire and smoke.
Who’s mad at whom?

It’s probably too much vitamins what caused this.?
OldSeaCaptain.jpg

Last edited:

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
There are a few posters on this site who love to pile on. It always happens. The person on the bottom changes frequently, but the ones piling on the top are usually the same.

Oh, and another thing: Back off from posting, even if the only reason is that you want to watch the people attacking you get into trouble again.

And, they will.

Again - some peole are always on the attack with someone - and it doesn't have to be you.

It's fun to watch when it isn't you - you see the parallels.

If you want to be the person in the hole, you know - the one a group of people at the top are throwing spoiled fruits and vegetables and fish heads at - go ahead.

It's your choice. really.

Status
Not open for further replies.