Gender Words - Retrieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Gender words - I saw this thread and of course I could not resist User NameRemember Me?Password
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/
post_old.gif
06-09-2006, 08:01 AM TeddyG vbmenu_register("postmenu_636068", true);
Really Has 99,999 Posts

reputation_pos.gif

Gender words - I saw this thread and of course I could not resist
Heheh..Teddy is up to his old tricks...gonna duck before I post this..

Okay folks this is MY PET PEEVE with words..
I call it a "Gender" Word and it is one of those words I have come to hate...

Yep this is gonna be horribly chauvinistic...
(The Mods are gonna brain me...so what's new?)

The word is "Whatever" and I have come to believe that is a totally female invention. Cause if there is any word in the English Dicitionary that the Feminist side of the human race has adopted with such force and surely such deadly purpose it is the word "whatever". Beware all males...use of the word Whatever means you have categorically, completely been put in the dog house and its gonna take oodles of hard work to get out of there again.

"Do you like this dress?"
"Sure. Its great"
"NO! I mean do you like IT?"
"I said so didn't I?"
"It's that bad?"
"I said I liked it!"
"You know you never listen to me, or even look at me. If you liked the dress the least you could do is LOOK at me in it!"
"I am looking! I like the dress. It is beautiful, stunning. Makes you look great and slim."
"Oh so now I am fat?"
"Did I say that?"
AND THEN IT COMES WHEN SHE SAYS:
"Whatever"

She says:
"I think we have to spend more time being together. Between both of us working and the kids we really need to stay in tune and work on it"
He says:
"Of course. Anything you say. When would you like to start?"
She says:
"Are you trying to placate me?"
He says:
"Where did that come from? I was agreeing with you. I think it's a great idea."
She says:
"No you don't. You just don't want to discuss it!"
He says:
"Okay. What do you want to discuss? I am all ears."
She says:
"Whatever."

See... a GENDER word. Whatever. Oh I hate that word!

Males of the universe - here is my sincere warning to you.
If you hear the word Whatever ever escape from your partners lips, get your act together, and do something FAST. Cause if you don't well you know...

Whatever...

Click Here To Visit Teddy's Web Site On Writing
Or: Better Yet - Visit my Blog - "Cobwebs of the Mind" (OMG he has a blog!!!!!!)
For Writers:
JewishPedia - Striving To Forge A Comprehensive On-Line Jewish Encyclopedia in Wiki Format
Virgin Earth Article Submissions An Article Submission Directory

:snoopy:

user_online.gif
TeddyGView Public ProfileSend a private message to TeddyGSend email to TeddyGVisit TeddyG's homepage!Find More Posts by TeddyG

post_old.gif
06-09-2006, 10:02 PM Puma vbmenu_register("postmenu_637609", true);
Board fanatic

reputation_pos.gif

Oddly, I've heard it more from youngish males who haven't a clue how assinine they sound. Puma
user_offline.gif
Puma</B>View Public ProfileSend a private message to Puma</B>Find More Posts by Puma</B>

post_old.gif
06-11-2006, 01:16 PM Maryn vbmenu_register("postmenu_639964", true);
Out of Town

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

I think it's indicative of a certain subset of youthful speakers of either gender (although it's been picked up by their parents), most often used to indicate that regardless of the reply the person being addressed should utter, the opportunity for them to say something meaningful has passed.

The person saying "Whatever" is pre-judging the response, scorns it unheard, and does not care to confirm, deny, or discuss its content. The speaker is already irked by the time that word arrives. Often, as in Teddy's example, he's earned it. (Yes, guys, you have to actually look at her before announcing she looks fine.)

Perhaps females say it more when the males in their spheres are particularly dense. ;)

Maryn, who lives with smart fellows and almost never says it in that usage, although she says it when she truly has no preference. "Do you want to rent 'The Godfather' or 'Bambi'?" "Whatever."

user_offline.gif
MarynView Public ProfileSend a private message to MarynFind More Posts by Maryn

post_old.gif
06-11-2006, 01:25 PM TeddyG vbmenu_register("postmenu_639986", true);
Really Has 99,999 Posts

reputation_pos.gif

Don't know Maryn. It was kind of posted as tounge in cheek...however I will say that I intelligence seems to have nothing to do with it, nor does age.

Indeed, I cringe whenever I hear the word "whatever" and it almost always being issued by the fairer sex, whenever I do hear it.

I have no clue if they are pre-judging or just don't want to deal, or feel it is not worth it. One never knows, as whatever seems to end all possibility of meaningful communication.

Nevertheless, it is one of those things that one simply experiences I assume. And as in all other facets of the human condition, your experiences are not the same mine, nor mine the same as yours, and thus we both can see it from different POV's.

Tempted to end this with a "whatever" but hell...that would prove your point not mine!!!!

Or: Better Yet - Visit my Blog - "Cobwebs of the Mind" (OMG he has a blog!!!!!!)
For Writers:
JewishPedia - Striving To Forge A Comprehensive On-Line Jewish Encyclopedia in Wiki Format

user_online.gif
TeddyGView Public ProfileSend a private message to TeddyGSend email to TeddyGVisit TeddyG's homepage!Find More Posts by TeddyG

post_old.gif
06-11-2006, 05:11 PM Unique vbmenu_register("postmenu_640304", true);
Oh, Yeah?

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

Whatever -
Sorry I missed this TeddyG. I say it all the time. Almost always to the same person. (Now that I think about it)

It means: 'I can't believe you said that, asked me that, expect me to comment on that and I'm not going to '

- so -

what..ever...

Queen Ambiguity
>''<
UniqueView Public ProfileSend a private message to UniqueSend email to UniqueFind More Posts by Unique

post_old.gif
06-12-2006, 02:03 AM TeddyG vbmenu_register("postmenu_641099", true);
Really Has 99,999 Posts

reputation_pos.gif

Proof of the concept Unique...thank you!

For Writers:

user_online.gif

post_old.gif
06-12-2006, 11:11 AM Maryn vbmenu_register("postmenu_641645", true);
Out of Town

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

Oh, good to note, too, that delivery like Uniques, with the pause in the middle, adds a lot. Or maybe you think it doesn't.

What... ever!

Maryn, showing you her dimples

user_offline.gif
MarynView Public ProfileSend a private message to MarynFind More Posts by Maryn

post_old.gif
06-12-2006, 12:24 PM OmenSpirits.com vbmenu_register("postmenu_641782", true);
Esteemed New Member

reputation_pos.gif

Male usage (not all): "Yo, man. Just get lost! Whatever ya'll sellin', I ain't buyin. What? What you just say? Look, whatever man. Just make yourself gone before I make you gone!"

Female(not all): "You said what to Jimmy? Eh, whatever! You don't even know what she was thinking when she went over to him that day so--why are you even talking about it? Huh? oh, okay. bye"

Whatever is indicative to the context it is being used in. It's not as annoying as "like".

NOW that's a word to hate. From young to old have got that word stuck on permenant repeat.:rant:
Well, this doesnt look too good, Don. Your security is seriously compromised. By the grouping of the bullets, and the holes hammered into this solid pinewood table. Id say they were pros. Or very accurate amateurs.

-Xavier Leon Mason, -Detegere- Published,
"GUNSELS,GUNMOLLS, & PRIVATE DICKS", 2005 OmenSpirits.com
Last edited by OmenSpirits.com : 06-13-2006 at 10:33 PM.
user_offline.gif
OmenSpirits.comView Public ProfileSend a private message to OmenSpirits.comVisit OmenSpirits.com's homepage!Find More Posts by OmenSpirits.com

post_old.gif
06-12-2006, 01:51 PM TeddyG vbmenu_register("postmenu_641929", true);
Really Has 99,999 Posts

reputation_pos.gif

you guys are killing me!!!!!!!!!

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whatever...

For Writers:

user_online.gif

post_old.gif
06-12-2006, 05:03 PM Puma vbmenu_register("postmenu_642285", true);
Board fanatic

reputation_pos.gif

Dialogue
Adult and 20 something male
What would you like to eat? Whatever
Would you like to go to a restarant? Whatever
Have any preference? Whatever

That's what's driving me up the wall!

In contrast, female of same age to the same questions - "Oh, snow crab sounds wonderful." "Not really." "Yeah, I'd like to stay home."

Anybody got a good explanation? Puma
user_offline.gif
Puma</B>View Public ProfileSend a private message to Puma</B>Find More Posts by Puma</B>

post_old.gif
06-12-2006, 05:08 PM TeddyG vbmenu_register("postmenu_642300", true);
Really Has 99,999 Posts

reputation_pos.gif

Of course I have....
the male is living in a house with 45 sisters and finally picked up the lingo
the female of course, is just very verbose...
bet you put that female trying on a dress for her partner/hubby/lover .. and I bet the moment he is not paying attention the way SHE THINKS he should be..
out it comes
WHATEVER

HAH!

(ducks and runs)

For Writers:

user_online.gif

post_old.gif
06-12-2006, 08:20 PM Puma vbmenu_register("postmenu_642710", true);
Board fanatic

reputation_pos.gif

You'd better duck!

But I do agree with you that whatever is one of the most annoying phrases that's popular today. And I won't say anymore because I can feel my dander rising. Puma
user_offline.gif

post_old.gif
06-14-2006, 01:36 AM Cat Scratch vbmenu_register("postmenu_645378", true);
Board fanatic

reputation_pos.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyG
Heheh..Teddy is up to his old tricks...gonna duck before I post this..

Okay folks this is MY PET PEEVE with words..
I call it a "Gender" Word and it is one of those words I have come to hate...

The word is "Whatever" and I have come to believe that is a totally female invention. Cause if there is any word in the English Dicitionary that the Feminist side of the human race has adopted with such force and surely such deadly purpose it is the word "whatever". Beware all males...use of the word Whatever means you have categorically, completely been put in the dog house and its gonna take oodles of hard work to get out of there again.

I'm sorry--feminist? Or did you simply mean female? Not all of one category are also the other. Aaaaand...that's it for the semantics portion of my post.

I don't tend to say "whatever." I prefer to argue things into the ground until the other person is covering their ears and screaming.
Cat ScratchView Public ProfileSend a private message to Cat ScratchVisit Cat Scratch's homepage!Find More Posts by Cat Scratch

post_old.gif
06-14-2006, 02:48 AM poetinahat vbmenu_register("postmenu_645418", true);
Benefactor Member

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

Why is this thread in the Grammar forum?

Quote:

True.

Quote:
If it happens that often, maybe they're trying to tell you something, hey?

Gender-baiting isn't clever, and it's not even funny.

(That works both ways, by the way -- the same applies to the "Why Can't Men..." threads.)
We're all here to prove it
I can walk like an ape, talk like an ape
Do what a monkey can do
God made Man
But a monkey supplied the glue

-- DEVO

Last edited by poetinahat : 06-14-2006 at 02:51 AM.
user_offline.gif
poetinahatView Public ProfileSend a private message to poetinahatSend email to poetinahatFind More Posts by poetinahat

post_old.gif
06-14-2006, 03:07 AM TeddyG vbmenu_register("postmenu_645426", true);
Really Has 99,999 Posts

reputation_pos.gif

Actually I was not gender baiting...
I don't ever do that...and those that know me here, know I don't do those things...

I was in a tounge-in-cheek manner saying that certain words seem to belong to a gender and have taken on meaning that are way beyond their first intended idea, and "whatever" seems to be certainly that kind of word...with a world of implication behind it..

However, if you wish to erase, delete, remove, mangle, or move the thread...go ahead be my guest....

tis no sweat and no harm done...

and btw...just because something sounds chauvinitic does not mean it is a bad thing....

I truly say to your reaction as a Male..."whatever"
(it was kind of a bit overdone....)

For Writers:

user_online.gif

post_old.gif
06-14-2006, 03:40 AM poetinahat vbmenu_register("postmenu_645447", true);
Benefactor Member

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

Quote:
Actually I was not gender baiting...
I don't ever do that...and those that know me here, know I don't do those things...

Please, if you'd be so kind, clarify how this is not gender baiting. "Why do women do this...?" would seem to me to be exactly that.

Quote:
I was in a tounge-in-cheek manner saying that certain words seem to belong to a gender and have taken on meaning that are way beyond their first intended idea, and "whatever" seems to be certainly that kind of word...with a world of implication behind it..
The tongue-in-cheek nature of the post is clear.

Quote:
However, if you wish to erase, delete, remove, mangle, or move the thread...go ahead be my guest....
Not interested. Not a mod. Not my job. Just expressing my opinion, same as you.

Quote:
tis no sweat and no harm done...
Good, then we can shake hands and move on!

Quote:
and btw...just because something sounds chauvinitic does not mean it is a bad thing....
Again, I'm not quite clear. Perhaps we can take this discussion offline, if you're amenable.

Quote:
I truly say to your reaction as a Male..."whatever"
(it was kind of a bit overdone....)
I didn't think so. It's a matter of personal taste, though, in exactly the same way as this form of humor is a matter of taste. I didn't find it funny.

I definitely agree that this use of "whatever" is annoying.
Do what a monkey can do
God made Man

-- DEVO

user_offline.gif
poetinahatView Public ProfileSend a private message to poetinahatSend email to poetinahatFind More Posts by poetinahat

post_old.gif
06-14-2006, 03:58 AM TeddyG vbmenu_register("postmenu_645455", true);
Really Has 99,999 Posts

reputation_pos.gif

To answer one question of yours..
Simply because in MY experience - not anyone else's - but my personal experience..."whatever" seems to me to be in the realm of an answer given by "females" - or much more used in conversations by them....

Men use "dude" and other such terms...

As to funny or not...I never claimed to be a stand-up

What is one person's humor is another person's ummmm... angst? (another word popping up more and more)

forget it...it really is not that important

I am surprised though to be incredibly honest, at the nature of remarks on this...it seems to have hit some sort of a touchy place within us...I did not think that it would generate the remarks that it did...

Which leads me to believe that the Grammar Board is EXACTLY the place for this thread...it is in the end about the "use" of language...

And honestly, I do cringe when I hear the word .. it cuts off any possibility of a meaningful dialogue in many cases...

A forum is a forum is a forum...all opinions are respected, recognized and hopefully understood.

Allow me my thoughts on the manner while I certainly respect yours for this not being "funny" or " in bad taste" or "gender baiting"...I don't discount anything that you said, (I say that seriously)...as you do not agree with what I wrote in certain cases...I reserve the right not to agree with you...and all is fine, cool, and no harm is done...

As to shaking hands, hell, I always shake hands, even if someone says "whatever" to me....

(okay so that was not funny! shoot me!)

For Writers:

user_online.gif

post_old.gif
06-14-2006, 09:09 AM poetinahat vbmenu_register("postmenu_645757", true);
Benefactor Member

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

Yep. I was snarky and self-righteous. It seems to happen every 4-6 weeks.

Decently played, Teddy. I salute you. Play on.
Do what a monkey can do
God made Man

-- DEVO

user_offline.gif

post_old.gif
06-14-2006, 02:05 PM TrickyFiction vbmenu_register("postmenu_646443", true);

reputation_pos.gif

My husband and I have come to an understanding that the word "whatever" is actually "you're full of sh!t" in code. So now, anytime I say, "Whatever," he says, "I am NOT!" It works out well.
user_offline.gif
TrickyFictionView Public ProfileSend a private message to TrickyFictionVisit TrickyFiction's homepage!Find More Posts by TrickyFiction

post_old.gif
06-14-2006, 02:48 PM TeddyG vbmenu_register("postmenu_646537", true);
Really Has 99,999 Posts

reputation_pos.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyFiction
My husband and I have come to an understanding that the word "whatever" is actually "you're full of sh!t" in code. So now, anytime I say, "Whatever," he says, "I am NOT!" It works out well.

now that made me roll in laughter...
touche

For Writers:

user_online.gif

post_old.gif
06-14-2006, 09:09 PM pdr vbmenu_register("postmenu_647209", true);
Writer

reputation_pos.gif

Watch it!
Poet, you're playing Ozzie Rules and bowling underarm again!

Play Cricket!

Even I, feminist that I am, 'saw' that Teddy was not serious.
user_offline.gif
pdrView Public ProfileSend a private message to pdrFind More Posts by pdr

Status
Not open for further replies.