Things you've bought that remind you of your unpublished book or another book

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I've known (or heard of) a few people who have bought stuff related to their unpublished book or related to another book that they loved. So, I wondered if anyone here has.

This is my list:

For my book:

1) A black and gold watch like the special one my MC always wears.

For books I've read:

1) A tiny clay Calcifer statue (Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones)

What about you?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I do stuff like this, it's usually for research purposes. For example, there's a small blue crystal ball that features in my series. Since the object gets handled and carried around occasionally throughout the story, I wanted to get a feel for its size, weight, what things would look like viewed through it, how it would be concealed, etc. I found one that fit the bill on Amazon and it wasn't too expensive, so I ordered it.

It's been helpful to have it handy when I write about the ball, but most of the time it sits on the shelves above my computer, gathering dust.

Readers have given me their versions of the eponymous Stone of the story - see the covers in my sig below. I have one that's an actual hagstone (a river rock with a natural hole worn through it), one crafted out of some kind of polymer resin (which, like the Stone, changes color), and one made of red jasper. It's nice to look at them and think someone liked the story enough to create something inspired by it.

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a marionette for my story Puppet People since the antagonists have the ability to control people like puppets.

I'm still not the best at it yet, but it makes the visualizing easier.

I also got a lunch bag with the eye tattoo from A Series of Unfortunate Events for Christmas last year. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to use it yet with my class schedule lining up either before or after lunch.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Not quite the same thing, but I wear a ring engraved with a name from my series. Bittersweet now, but I never take it off.