Not open for further replies.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey -- just thinking:

What if we...

- KEPT the rep function, but dropped the counter? Repping people would still be fun, but we'd be less likely to get all caught up in how many there are.

- REMOVED the display that showed how many posts people have made? Really. One could go and post "duh" 10.000 times to jack up his postcount. It sure doesn't mean he's added a lot of quality to the board content. Quite the contrary.

Feel free to disregard this thread. It's a project I'm undertaking to obtain Certified Curmudgeon status.

Last edited:

deacon

poetinahat said:
Hey -- just thinking:

What if we...

- KEPT the rep function, but dropped the counter? Repping people would still be fun, but not get all caught up in how many there are.

- REMOVED the display that showed how many posts people have made? Really. One could go and post "duh" 10.000 times to jack up my postcount. It sure doesn't mean he's added a lot of quality to the board content. Quite the contrary.

Feel free to disregard this thread. It's a project I'm undertaking to obtain Certified Curmudgeon status.

IIIIIIIIII like it!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An excellent suggestion, Poet. The 'scorekeeping' does nothing to enhance an already helpful system of feedback and communication.

Last edited:

lazy_sod

Geezerette-in-training
Registered
Reaction score
Tomatos are overrated. Launching cows, cats, and other animals over castle walls while speaking in a ridiculous French accent is so much more effective.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lazy_sod said:
Tomatos are overrated. Launching cows, cats, and other animals over castle walls while speaking in a ridiculous French accent is so much more effective.

Only if you actually hit someone -

not to dis ya poet. I don't care one way or the other.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the rep point is sacrosanct.

it's like when god talks to you on a lonely drive down a dark road, or when a stranger smiles at you for no other reason than the sweet sensation of life coursing through their veins.

the rep point is where we're given clandestine support for controversial posts, gently chided for going too far, or granted the sight of random emoticons (which represent that deep and shattering lightning-pulse of emotion one experiences on reading our wisdom).

sometimes, they allow us to peer deep into the soul of our fellow members, as they lol, or rolf, or rotflmao, or rotflmfao.

the accumulation of rep pointsis just as inviolable. they are a badge of honor, like punched holes in a card that will ultimately get us a free sub sandwich, perhaps with an 8 oz. drink.

if rep points, or their totals, are jacked with in any way, the very foundation of AW will crumble, dropping us into an abyss where shorthand validation, casual greeting and smiley faces mean nothing... and we mean even less.

please. stop the madness.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[crank]
I'm a little bit appalled that people are whingeing about a few posts and rep points, especially after recent events.

Hey. The boards are here. The writers are here (that is what we are, right?).

Oh, did I mention that the boards are FREE?

We all lost posts and rep points, but it seems ungrateful and selfish to complain about losing a few posts, especially if most of them are in OFFICE PARTY. Sure, it's unfortunate, but everybody makes mistakes. And it's not a big deal. You've got the rest of your AW life to get more.
[/crank]

There -- that feels better! I love you all.

lazy_sod

Geezerette-in-training
Registered
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I also don't care either way...I just never pass up the opportunity to make a very vague Monty Python reference.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sir William, what a brilliant piece of virtual oratory. I could hear the Battle Hymn of the Republic as I read it.

William Haskins said:
please. stop the madness.

Not to mention the capital letters.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lazy_sod said:

We should get together and try it sometime. I'll bring the wine and the cows.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But who will bring the ridiculous French accent?

lazy_sod

Geezerette-in-training
Registered
Reaction score
It's a BYORFA: "Bring Your Own Ridiculous French Accent" kind of gathering. Although I will need some help transporting the castle walls.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
[crank]
I'm a little bit appalled that people are whingeing about a few posts and rep points, especially after recent events.

Hey. The boards are here. The writers are here (that is what we are, right?).

Oh, did I mention that the boards are FREE?

We all lost posts and rep points, but it seems ungrateful and selfish to complain about losing a few posts, especially if most of them are in OFFICE PARTY. Sure, it's unfortunate, but everybody makes mistakes. And it's not a big deal. You've got the rest of your AW life to get more.
[/crank]

There -- that feels better! I love you all.

I think I was the first one to do it. I'm sorry. It was just for fun.

I started it...

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
the accumulation of rep pointsis just as inviolable. they are a badge of honor, like punched holes in a card that will ultimately get us a free sub sandwich, perhaps with an 8 oz. drink.

What? If I'm not getting a 160z drink, then screw it. It's not worth it.

I think most people here (me being one) were just a bit bummed to lose a few reps that had neat comments in them and maybe a few PMs they wanted to save. For the most part, I don't think anyone was too terribly upset (hey, I said, "for the most part"). The majority here have bigger things to worry about, but hey, I, for one, am never one to pass up the chance to piss and moan about the little things. :D (sorry haskins, the smileys, they control me)

Poet, you're just a total sweetie, the 'big picture' kinda guy, and we need you around here to keep us in line.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kinda a stats nut...I think I would start twitching or something without the counts. :e2cry:
But like the others, I do miss some of the comments I had but I'm not worried about my numbers. I'm not going anywhere, the momentary glitch will soon be a vague memory.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
If there are no more point tallies, how will I measure myself against other golfers?

Jeez, it's like none of you know this is all about winning. What's wrong with you people.

And by the way, I lost close to 14,000 rep points, just from deleting one of my own posts. Just be happy you're not me.

Bloody peasants.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I had 12 rep points that were complaints from Robeiae - how will I ever go on with out them? :D

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
William Haskins said:
sometimes, they allow us to peer deep into the soul of our fellow members, as they lol, or rolf, or rotflmao, or rotflmfao.
Damn. I nearly rolled on the floor and laughed my as$ off.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Just be happy you're not me.
Mission accomplished, Pedro...

Please disregard those 5,000 rep points from my Nigerian uncle.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
rtilryarms said:

mercy boquet
6.gif

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
would it be wrong to give haskins a "lol" rep point for his post?

with a smiley?

Status
Not open for further replies.