Right now, I don't fell like posting anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Believe me, I'm screaming like the rest of you guys are, but I think my losses were tremendously larger than other people's. I know there's nothing Jenna or anyone else can do about it now, but I still can't help it that I mourn the losses of a good chunk of my rep points, their accompanying comments, some nice PMs (particularly a more recent one from Spooky), and hundreds of posts.

On either Friday or Saturday (not sure which day I used it last), I had 163 rep points w/ comments and 906 posts. I was celebrating with Susie that I was almost to the 1,000 mark. On the day of the last backup, May 23, I had 89 posts and 56 rep points. So I've lost 817 posts and 107 rep points w/ comments.

I feel like I can't possibly replace some of those good posts. I would have backed all of them up if I could, until I started posting 30 or 40 or more times a day so that it started to become unmanageable.

My point is, I still don't feel comfortable enough to start posting again at the same rate that I have been lately. I might feel more up to it in a week or two. The only positive aspect was that I wrote 1,808 words yesterday for my short story (to be expanded into a novel after the story's submitted), when I couldn't access the boards. I am, however, now in the mood to write more words, more often. ;) The story should be in submission before the end of the summer. Hopefully, it'll be ready for critiques at Critters and the SYW forum earlier than that.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, I'm sorry you lost so much :( I didn't lose anything NEAR that amount, but I feel your pain. The comments were a bright spot. These things happen.

But look at the bright side - all that work you did on your short story!!! I didn't do squat this weekend, so good for YOU :)

davids

Banned
Reaction score
I know how you feel-lost a bit myself-however, that is not the reason I hang around her-IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING BUT CONSTRUCTIVE FUN-so don't lose heart dear heart-it will all be just fine-large pat on the head-write,write, write-etc.etc.etc.-Dave

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but it's a MESSAGE BOARD, it's not life or death, and it's not as if he were being paid for his words. that he lost his livelihood.

No, I don't feel much compassion, honestly, I think investing so much emotional energy into an internet community is unhealthy. That's nothing against AW, I love AW, but it's still just a MESSAGE BOARD.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Alan Yee said:
On the day of the last backup, May 23, I had 89 posts and 56 rep points. So I've lost 817 posts and 107 rep points w/ comments.
Look at it this way, Alan. Back before May 23rd, you were getting a rep point for every two out of three posts, which is phenomenal. By the time this last glitch occurred, you were only getting repped on about 15% of your posts, which means...well, I don't know what it means. Maybe you were posting so much you didn't have the time to put the same effort into each one that you had previously, or something along those lines. For a long time I had reps for more than half of my posts, but lately my percent has dropped. Maybe I need to follow my own advice and take more time...nah, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Allan- honey, I know how you feel. You were making great strides and then the rug was slipped out from under you. It's normal to feel this way. It's just like falling off a horse. You feel bad but you just have to get back on. In this case post a couple at a time and soon you'll be going again.

It's tough to lose all that, I know, but keep posting, please.

It will pass and if you don't post we can't replace the points.

Hope you feel better soon. I did miss your posting.

Terri

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Look at it this way, Alan, at least you HAD all those points to lose. Clearly everyone enjoys hearing from you, and will again. Even if you DID give up on our Seattle Mariners (only one game behind) I still think you're terrific :D

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Ya know...

I think just about anyone on the board could say they lost a "tremendously larger" amount than anyone else. It's quite a surprise/eye-opener/shock when you see what's happened.

I think that's why so many can think or say they know how you feel.

Personally? I'm making mine bigger and better. :) (Not necessarily quantity.)

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DeniseK said:
I'm sorry, but it's a MESSAGE BOARD, it's not life or death, and it's not as if he were being paid for his words. that he lost his livelihood.

No, I don't feel much compassion, honestly, I think investing so much emotional energy into an internet community is unhealthy. That's nothing against AW, I love AW, but it's still just a MESSAGE BOARD.

Well, for most of us it's our second home, at least for me it is. This is not just a message board, it's my family and I feel like you talked to my son like that. We all love each other here not just the fact that it's message board.

The loss felt like a fire had come through and destroyed some precious things. Allan is suffering a loss and rightly so.

I would have to say your attitude is arrogant not allan's post.

deacon

Hmmmm. That's it, just... Hmmmmm. Anymore than that over points and posts might cause a flame out that would not benefit anyone.

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Not everyone looks at AW as 'family.' Some people actually come here to improve their writing, to help other writers, not to chit chat the day away. Maybe losing so many post will teach your 'son' to stop wasting so much time on a MESSAGE BOARD that could be used to actually write, which is what he said he did without his 'family' to cling to.

What I found arrogant was that anyone would consider their words posted on a MESSAGE BOARD so valuable.

And in closing, members who don't enjoy wasting all day here are no less valuable than the ones who consider this their 'second home.' So get off my ***, is what I'm trying to tell you, writer teri.

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Oh, so her jumping on me for my opinion, telling me I am the one who's arrogant and me saying get off my azz are not equally overboard?

Deleted member 42

Alan I know you feel bad. But the real reputation factor is in your name; value the regard with which people hold your name.

And because sometime you remind me of my brother, I'm going live dangerously and point out that it's always a bad idea to try to measure or compare loss. Just don't do it; we can't know, really, how other people feel, and in attempting to measure or evaluate our own loss, it can seem to others as if you are devaluing their loss, even if that's not at all your intent.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DeniseK said:
Not everyone looks at AW as 'family.' Some people actually come here to improve their writing, to help other writers, not to chit chat the day away. Maybe losing so many post will teach your 'son' to stop wasting so much time on a MESSAGE BOARD that could be used to actually write, which is what he said he did without his 'family' to cling to.

What I found arrogant was that anyone would consider their words posted on a MESSAGE BOARD so valuable.

And in closing, members who don't enjoy wasting all day here are no less valuable than the ones who consider this their 'second home.' So get off my ***, is what I'm trying to tell you, writer teri.

You're just plain mean and insensitive now.

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
No, I'm just plain realistic all the time.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Alan Yee said:
Believe me, I'm screaming like the rest of you guys are, but I think my losses were tremendously larger than other people's.

me, too. i can't bear to post anymore given the monumental loss that was alan's body of posts. how does one just pick up and start again?

i can't even feed or wash myself anymore.

and what about his rep points? has anyone thought of the rep points?

forget about katrina, the tsunami, iraq reconstruction...

how does one rebuild after this? how? tell me.

you can't.

i don't even want to live in a world where alan's posts from may 23 to july 2 are missing...

what's the point of going on...

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
DeniseK said:
Oh, so her jumping on me for my opinion, telling me I am the one who's arrogant and me saying get off my azz are not equally overboard?

If you will please take a look at the post you reference, I did not quote anybody. I did not see that she was "jumping" on you, though I can understand how you might think so. The comment was, therefore, directed to both.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
How about sepuku enmasse (yah I now I probably misspelled that)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
Don't let 'em fool ya, he rarely did this anyway.

Don't believe me, just look at his avatar.

*wink*

(resisted the cute little winking blue smiley just this once for Haskins' sake, just this once)

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
me, too. i can't bear to post anymore given the monumental loss that was alan's body of posts. how does one just pick up and start again?

and what about his rep points? has anyone thought of the rep points?

forget about katrina, the tsunami, iraq reconstruction...

how does one rebuild after this? how? tell me.

you can't.

i don't even want to live in a world where alan's posts from may 23 to july 2 are missing...

what's the point of going on...

Norman, is that you!

Status
Not open for further replies.