Reaction score
Religious Allegory User NameRemember Me?Password
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/
post_old.gif
06-23-2006, 08:54 PM Puma vbmenu_register("postmenu_665357", true);
Board fanatic

reputation_pos.gif

Religious Allegory
I'm looking for a definition and/or specifications for what makes a work a religious allegory. I've got something of a feel for it from looking at works that are considered religious allegories (Piers the Ploughman, 1984, Lord of the Flies, Narnia); but are there any hard and fast rules? It's been suggested that my contemporary WIP is a religious allegory; but before I call it that in a query, I'd like to have a better feel for the category. Thanks for any help. Puma
(PS I thought this question was better suited to this board than the religious boards, correct me if I'm wrong.)
user_offline.gif
Puma</B>View Public ProfileSend a private message to Puma</B>Find More Posts by Puma</B>

post_old.gif
06-23-2006, 10:01 PM JenNipps vbmenu_register("postmenu_665489", true);
Incognito Sparklecow
Mod Squad Member

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

Puma,

It's late and I'm tired. I'm posting this so I'll have a reminder to myself to see what I can find tomorrow.

Check it out -> www.jenifernipps.com

I took the pledge. - 13/100
user_offline.gif
JenNippsView Public ProfileSend a private message to JenNippsSend email to JenNippsVisit JenNipps's homepage!Find More Posts by JenNipps

post_old.gif
06-23-2006, 10:32 PM Medievalist vbmenu_register("postmenu_665565", true);
Dawnolite Bovine Admiration

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

On Allegory
Puma, I'm going to cheat and just post my notes on Allegory in terms of medieval literture; the principles apply, roughly, to allegorical literature in general. If you want more, I can also supply a couple of references that talk about allegory, what it does and how it works.

Allegory

1.a. A literary, dramatic, or pictorial device in which characters and events stand for abstract ideas, principles, or forces, so that the literal sense has or suggests a parallel, deeper symbolic sense (AHD s. v. allegory).

One of four levels or senses of interpretation common in medieval and Renaissance exegesis, and thus a method of reading and of listening:

(a) literal;

(b) allegorical;

(c) moral or tropological;

(d) anagogical or spiritual

(Lanham, Richard. The Handlist of Rhetorical Terms. Berkeley: University of California Press).

Littera gesta docet, quid credas, allegoria,

Moralia, quid agas, quo tendas, anagogia.

The literal teaches the facts, the allegorical teaches what we should believe,

The moral what you should do, the anagogical what you should aim for

(Augustine of Dacia, cited in Middle English Literature. ed. Dunn and Byrnes, Garland, 1990).

Four Levels of Allegory

1. The literal or historical meaning, which simply narrates what happened and is held to be the primary significance on which all the other levels are based. The straight forward, literal interpretation—plot or narrative.

2. The Allegorical meaning proper, which is the New Testament truth, or else the reference to the Christian church, that is signified by a passage in the Old Testament (This world). Events said to approximate Biblical and historical occurrences. Christians often seen allegorically as the children of Israel, fleeing Egypt; history interpreted as foretelling contemporary events.

3. The Tropological meaning, which is the moral truth or doctrine signified by the same passage in the OT. (Personal or moral). The derivation of a moral, or a moral truth.

4. The Anagogic meaning, or reference of the passage to Christian eschatology, the events to come in the last days of Christ's judgment. (Next world) (Abrams 89). The mystical level, all human action can be interpreted foreshadowing Judgment, the Passion of Christ's, etc.

Last edited by Medievalist : Yesterday at 09:49 AM.
user_offline.gif
MedievalistView Public ProfileSend a private message to MedievalistSend email to MedievalistVisit Medievalist's homepage!Find More Posts by Medievalist

post_old.gif
Yesterday, 06:30 AM Puma vbmenu_register("postmenu_666094", true);
Board fanatic

reputation_pos.gif

Thanks, Medievalist! I've definitely got an allegory. My next question - is calling something a religious allegory sort of like a double negative? (can't think of the word). Puma
user_offline.gif
Puma</B>View Public ProfileSend a private message to Puma</B>Find More Posts by Puma</B>

post_old.gif
Yesterday, 09:38 AM Medievalist vbmenu_register("postmenu_666360", true);

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

No, it's good because there's also social allegory and political allegory (like Animal Farm).

Last edited by Medievalist : Yesterday at 10:07 AM.
user_offline.gif
MedievalistView Public ProfileSend a private message to MedievalistSend email to MedievalistVisit Medievalist's homepage!Find More Posts by Medievalist

post_old.gif
Yesterday, 10:05 AM JenNipps vbmenu_register("postmenu_666406", true);
Incognito Sparklecow
Mod Squad Member

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist
Puma, I'm going to cheat and just post my notes on Allegory in terms of medieval literture; the principles apply, roughly, to allegorical literature in general. If you want more, I can also supply a couple of references that talk about allegory, what it does and how it works.

Thank you for posting this!

Check it out -> www.jenifernipps.com

I took the pledge. - 13/100
user_offline.gif
JenNippsView Public ProfileSend a private message to JenNippsSend email to JenNippsVisit JenNipps's homepage!Find More Posts by JenNipps

post_old.gif
Yesterday, 10:08 AM Medievalist vbmenu_register("postmenu_666410", true);

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

It's not a problem Jen; I just copied a chunk from my old qualifying exam notes, and pasted them. And then, belatedly, corrected some of my ever-present typos . . .

user_offline.gif

post_old.gif
Yesterday, 10:27 AM kpmcneil22 vbmenu_register("postmenu_666441", true);

reputation_pos.gif

I always thought that a novel was a certain genre, like fantasy or mainstream/contemporary, and then could also have religious allegory as a device. But you wouldn't classify it as religious allegory, right? For example, you don't walk into a Barnes and Noble and go to the religious allegory section.

So, in a query, say, you would tell the agent that your novel is mainstream/contemporary, but that you use religious allegory in a certian way... Is this correct?

Kevin
user_offline.gif
kpmcneil22View Public ProfileSend a private message to kpmcneil22Find More Posts by kpmcneil22

post_old.gif
Yesterday, 02:12 PM Puma vbmenu_register("postmenu_666828", true);
Board fanatic

reputation_pos.gif

That's sort of my hang-up, Kevin, my whole WIP qualifies as religious allegory. At first I called my work no specific genre then I went to Mainstream/Contemporary (which is stretching the facts a bit). Now, I'm going to try a couple queries as only religious allegory (and then I can always hope it turns into a best seller and becomes mainstream :) (I guess that's what happens when you write something because you think it's a good idea.) Puma
user_offline.gif

post_old.gif
Yesterday, 02:33 PM Medievalist vbmenu_register("postmenu_666878", true);

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

Thing of C. S. Lewis' Narnai books; they're children's fantasy. That's the genre; the books can be read on the literal level as children's fanstasy. But they can also be read as religious allegory. Allegory is just a rhetorical tool like any other. Don't overemphasize it in the writing or in the cover letter.

user_offline.gif

post_old.gif
Yesterday, 02:45 PM Puma vbmenu_register("postmenu_666905", true);
Board fanatic

reputation_pos.gif

So what do you suggest I call my book in a query, Medievalist - an allegorical contemporary work, a religious allegory with a contemporary setting, or ??? Thanks for your help. Puma
user_offline.gif

post_old.gif
Yesterday, 02:58 PM Medievalist vbmenu_register("postmenu_666931", true);

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

Not having read it . . . I'd probably tailor the description to the publisher; if it's main stream, highlight contemporary fiction. For a religious press, highlight the underlying allegory. You want, either way, to make it clear that it can be read and enjoyed as "just a story."

user_offline.gif

post_old.gif
Yesterday, 09:18 PM Puma vbmenu_register("postmenu_667582", true);
Board fanatic

reputation_pos.gif

Thanks, Medievalist. It definitely is not a book for religious presses (too true to life in a crosscut of society). So I'll stick with the contemporary fiction as the main line. Puma
user_offline.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.